More on Airfix 2017

Denford

Schemes and box art for thespitfire 19 rebox have been revealed, primary scheme is no surprise given the bbmf one is being repainted as such, but I'm disapointed once again the alternate scheme is a Swedish one, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the xtradecal sheet to do a wartime XIX

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Schemes and box art for thespitfire 19 rebox have been revealed, primary scheme is no surprise given the bbmf one is being repainted as such, but I'm disapointed once again the alternate scheme is a Swedish one, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the xtradecal sheet to do a wartime XIX

Yes that's a shame. I was hoping they might do a wartime 682 Sqn aircraft.

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I hoped for a Turkish, Indian or Thai one for a change instead Swedish.

Edited by Botan

Shame on all of you bagging Airfix in these financially troubling times for Hornby! May not be too late to write to Airfix and ask for a war time option (they could package it as a series 3 or 4 kit with the extra decal options?)

Swedish Spit sounds good to me (especially as a dogfight double with a Soviet Mig-15 new tool of course!)

The thing is, the Swedish option seems to be the same aircraft from the first boxing?

EDIT: I have the decals in front of me and it's the exact same aircraft and scheme. It seems they've added stencils. I guess they weren't ready to show anything of the Mitchell yet?

Edited by k5054nz

On 30/12/2016 at 10:51 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

I'm interested to know what source information there is for wartime Mk.19 aircraft.

Airfix will certainly want photos of both sides of a single air frame, taken on the same day preferably, and preferably from angles that give them certainty that there's nothing *odd* about the markings on the wing top and bottom.

One assumption because there isn't that much documentation, and  they get pilloried, either because a contradictory photo turns up, or even though one doesn't, every self appointed expert has a place to stick a poison pen.

I think it's great that we demand so much from our hobby, but we need be careful what we wish for. The consequence is safe subjects and reduced variety for those who just want something different and can do without certainty in the n'th degree.  Which in my experience outside the echo chamber of online modelling sites, is a heavy majority of modellers.

Or of course, you can buy aftermarket decals and assume that they (being aftermarket) are naturally always 100% correct.

Shane

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shane said:

I'm interested to know what source information there is for wartime Mk.19 aircraft.

Airfix will certainly want photos of both sides of a single air frame, taken on the same day preferably, and preferably from angles that give them certainty that there's nothing *odd* about the markings on the wing top and bottom.

One assumption because there isn't that much documentation, and  they get pilloried, either because a contradictory photo turns up, or even though one doesn't, every self appointed expert has a place to stick a poison pen.

I think it's great that we demand so much from our hobby, but we need be careful what we wish for. The consequence is safe subjects and reduced variety for those who just want something different and can do without certainty in the n'th degree.  Which in my experience outside the echo chamber of online modelling sites, is a heavy majority of modellers.

Or of course, you can buy aftermarket decals and assume that they (being aftermarket) are naturally always 100% correct.

Shane

I am not that obsessive over detail and correctness, so long as it looks broadly ok I am happy.

Poison pen experts are a minority but have very loud voices, these Mary Whitehouse's of the model world should not be allowed to get their way over the silent majority. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Shane said:

I'm not sure that's true. I would suggest that most marking options in most kits are based on a photo of one side only, as aircraft were seldom photographed from several angles. But you can normally assume the same applies on the other side! 

But a wartime Spit XIX only needs a serial and maybe a single code letter, so not too hard to knock up from some generic decal sheets. At least I think that's how I'll do mine. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, old thumper said:

I am not that obsessive over detail and correctness, so long as it looks broadly ok I am happy.

Poison pen experts are a minority but have very loud voices, these Mary Whitehouse's of the model world should not be allowed to get their way over the silent majority. 

You'll get absolutely no argument here!:thumbsup:. Of course, if the "silent majority" would actually be a bit less silent from time to time it might shut these poison pen (key board?) "experts" and cyber warriors up for good:hmmm:.

Allan

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, IanC said:

I'm not sure that's true. I would suggest that most marking options in most kits are based on a photo of one side only, as aircraft were seldom photographed from several angles. But you can normally assume the same applies on the other side! 

But a wartime Spit XIX only needs a serial and maybe a single code letter, so not too hard to knock up from some generic decal sheets. At least I think that's how I'll do mine. 

Emphasis added by me.

I understand that the choice of markings in the Airfix B-17 was definitely informed by the need for overall coverage.  While I agree with you that "most markings in most kits etc." I was being very careful to use future tense and "Airfix" in that sentence.

Shane

10 hours ago, old thumper said:

Poison pen my backside!  I'm simply decrying the sheer lack of imagination from Airfix.  A rebox with new decals?  Great, but give us two new schemes, yeah?  How hard is it to research PR19s for alternate schemes?  Simply check the aftermarket for a start, perhaps call a pet researcher.  I and I've no doubt quite a few other Spitfire modellers here,could have pulled the relevant reference off the shelf within seconds of a call - my own are two feet to my left.  

And if that's too hard, why not just key in Spitfire PR19 into google and see what alternate schemes pop up?  Look!  Took me two seconds!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spitfire+PR+XIX&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivi66v4Z_RAhXjCcAKHeXQBrQQ_AUIBQ

But no, that's too hard for our Airfix researcher who just says "We'll give them the same option from our last boxing."  Unimaginative dullards...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

But no, that's too hard for our Airfix researcher who just says "We'll give them the same option from our last boxing."  Unimaginative dullards...

My suspicion is that it was a cost issue. Even if your researcher and designer are salaried, it still takes time that might be needed for other releases.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2016 at 0:32 AM, Aeronut said:

After seeing the upcoming Phantom I pointed out to the Airfix team at Telford that there are other Museums other than Yeovilton, Duxford and Hendon to do their research in.

Can we lock them up for a night in the 'experimentals' and adjoining' hangars at Cosford to seek inspiration?

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah what a wonderful suggestion !!! give that man a ceeee garrrrrr !

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Norman said:

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah what a wonderful suggestion !!! give that man a ceeee garrrrrr !

Actually, I have a better idea - lock them up with copies of the British Secret Projects books. Don't let them out until they promise a Supermarine type 559, an SR-177, Fairey Delta FD 111 and a Hawker  P-1121 at the very least!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Actually, I have a better idea - lock them up with copies of the British Secret Projects books. Don't let them out until they promise a Supermarine type 559, an SR-177, Fairey Delta FD 111 and a Hawker  P-1121 at the very least!!

Allan

And the year after that everybody would be wondering why Airfix went bust...again.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

And the year after that everybody would be wondering why Airfix went bust...again.

Don't go letting common sense get into this discussion. It has no place when people's passions are involved.

Though I imagine that Airfix might share the passion of anyone willing to pay for the development, production and distribution of a new kit of that ilk on the basis of shared profits AFTER the unsold kits are written down by all and sundry.

Any volunteers with several hundred thousand nicker to spare for tooling a truly unusual subject?  You might make a small fortune...

Shane

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Don't go letting common sense get into this discussion. It has no place when people's passions are involved.

Though I imagine that Airfix might share the passion of anyone willing to pay for the development, production and distribution of a new kit of that ilk on the basis of shared profits AFTER the unsold kits are written down by all and sundry.

Any volunteers with several hundred thousand nicker to spare for tooling a truly unusual subject?  You might make a small fortune...

Shane

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Obviously it never occurred to either of you that I might just be having a little joke. Need to work on your sense of humour folks. My fault though. I never realised that having a wee bit of fun was disallowed here. New Year Resolution - REMEMBER - Keep tongue OUT of cheek in future when posting!

Allan 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Obviously it never occurred to either of you that I might just be having a little joke. Need to work on your sense of humour folks. My fault though. I never realised that having a wee bit of fun was disallowed here. New Year Resolution - REMEMBER - Keep tongue OUT of cheek in future when posting!

Allan 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Nice one!! Would I be right in thinking that is Sgt Hulka (the late Warren Oates) in a scene from Stripes?:lol:. Funny how drill Sgts the world over are all the same - regardless of uniform!:lol:. I have forgotten our little difference of opinion already. Have a good New Year! I'm guessing you celebrated yours a few hours earlier than mine?:drink:

Allan

Edited by Greg B
Needlessly repeated video removed

5 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Just make those with special boxes - captured, with German crosses, Luft'46 edition.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Botan said:

Just make those with special boxes - captured, with German crosses, Luft'46 edition.

I would LOVE to! Just a pity though that there is no real chance of ANY of those appearing in model kit form!!

Allan

7 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Or maybe because they know anything with Swedish markings sells well in Sweden?  And doing accurate Swedish decals means they get sales there?

• Like 1