More on Airfix 2017

Denford

7 minutes ago, Denford said:

This shows quite definitely that IT IS NOT a B-25

Look at the top left hand corner of the magazine and a 'member' comes across above it (SW -NE) to join the upright just above the magazine.

Now look at the B-25: yes the magazine is gone but the nearest sloped member, to the left is NOWHERE NEAR the pilot.

Sorry you B-25 fans - yes I'm one too - but we may have to wait a little longer.....

I have to disagree, the diagonal member in the top LH picture with the magazine is the windscreen top member going across the canopy, the reason why it doesn't appear in the picture without the magazine is simply a question of perspective.

• Like 5

Don't quite follow your logic: however the figure, even down to the position of the hands height of wrist above rail dress detail etc all look the same....   And in fact, I hope you're right!

We'll soon know, but meanwhile can anyone advise the variant of that particular aircraft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denford said:

Don't quite follow your logic: however the figure, even down to the position of the hands height of wrist above rail dress detail etc all look the same....   And in fact, I hope you're right!

We'll soon know, but meanwhile can anyone advise the variant of that particular aircraft.

Fingers cressed eh?

I think it's a C/D version, there's no turret just behind the cockpit (although it could just be faired over), I know the Dutch used that version.

Edited by Wez

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

I think it's a C/D version, there's no turret just behind the cockpit (although it could just be faired over), I know the Dutch used that version.

That would make good sense: the Hasegawa (later) tooling is good, but the Frog and Italeri versions 'leave something to be desired'.

In an earlier post, somebody mentioned something about the anniversary of the Dolittle raid.  Airfix never miss a trick.

Denford,

I think you need to go back and have a look at the 2 pics again! The clues are all there that the 2 pics are of the same aircraft and taken from slightly differing angles. The clincher for me is you can see the 2 frames that run nose to tail in the escape hatch in the Airfix pic. In the other pic, you can see the stbd one in front of the window frame the hand is on. What is putting me off is what looks like the colour of the glazing behind the pilot, but not enough to disagree this is the aircraft in the pic.

I do agree though that the B-25 fans might have to wait. A quick Google shows this place to be a right treasure trove and i would expect Airfix would have been on a Lidar fest with some of the stuff in there! But for a Spitfire fan like myself, is that the only high back 14 that is available? Surely there is a more accessible example somewhere, unless it was in need of some maintenance and Airfix got the invite!

Arabest,

Geoff.

53 minutes ago, Jazzie said:

I do agree though that the B-25 fans might have to wait. A quick Google shows this place to be a right treasure trove and i would expect Airfix would have been on a Lidar fest with some of the stuff in there! But for a Spitfire fan like myself, is that the only high back 14 that is available? Surely there is a more accessible example somewhere, unless it was in need of some maintenance and Airfix got the invite!

Arabest,

Geoff.

Occam's Razor: all things being equal, the simplest answer is usually correct. Airfix put a picture of a B-25 in their advent calendar so the simplest explanation is that they are working on a new kit of the B-25. I suppose you could argue that the subject is just something from that particular museum, or it's what the mannequin 'pilot' in the photograph is 'looking' at. But that requires a level of abstraction beyond the usual hints Airfix give us.

• Like 2

Maybe you're just thinking too complicated. The aircraft is absolutely irrelevant, they are just ponting out that they will release a Jet Provost in 1/48! The Mitchell is just there to confuse you!

:evil_laugh:

Alex

• Like 7

The angle of both photos is very slightly different, but if you look closely you will see that it is definitely the same plane.

There seems to be some covering over the top of the canopy in Airfix photo, as it is brown in colour, which is not there in the museum photo.

Also, the second crew member is a touch lower because Airfix photo was taken from a slightly closer distance or a little lower.

Compare the frames on the outside of the canopy and the ones above pilots and you will see they are the same.

Also - compare the pilot itself - it would be very unlikely to have an identical figure in an identical pose in two different planes. Look at the pose of the hand, it is identical. The mask and the straps that hold it are also identical (which would be unlikely if it was a different figure in a different plane).

45 minutes ago, Vladan Dugaric said:

There seems to be some covering over the top of the canopy in Airfix photo, as it is brown in colour, which is not there in the museum photo.

That is surely the lighting effect through the roof perspex panels, the Airfix pic is quite low quality and has for shorter depth of field compared to the other pic - looks almost phone camera quality.

Denford, I can't see how there is doubt on this, the picture is definitely of the Dutch B-25

• Like 1

There should be no doubt that the actuating mechanism visible in the background is identical to that found in the B-25D that is at the Yankee Air Museum in Michigan.  Unless anyone has information that the same mechanism was used on another type, the image is of a B-25.

Howard Mason, Heritage Manager, BAE Systems

• Like 1

A B-25 makes good sense for Airfix. It replaces an old tool and has international as well as home appeal. I'd guess the first boxing will have RAF and perhaps Dutch decal options while a later release covers some USAAF examples and decal manufacturers help sales along with plenty other options.

Now, where's my early Hunters Airfix...

Oh Bugger - definitely not a Westland Wasp then!

Canopy framing (look at the horizontal bottom portion - where it is uneven either side of the vertical member) and pilot mannequins are a match with the Dutch B-25 museum exhibit... 

More for the WWII aircraft fans to choose from

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

A B-25 makes good sense for Airfix. It replaces an old tool and has international as well as home appeal. I'd guess the first boxing will have RAF and perhaps Dutch decal options while a later release covers some USAAF examples and decal manufacturers help sales along with plenty other options.

Now, where's my early Hunters Airfix...

I'd bet the first issue will be a B-25B Doolittle Raider. The 75th Anniversary is April 18, 2017.

I'd also bet that Airfix will issue a Battle of Midway set (not with the B-25). The 75th Anniversary of that battle occurs over 4-7 June, 2017. They have a Kate, Zero, and Wildcat, so Airfix really needs a 1/72nd scale SBD-3 Dauntless and a 1/72nd scale D3A1 Val for that set. A TBD-1 Devastator is too much to hope for. The SBD and D3A1 would replace ancient but popular kits from the legacy Airfix range.

2017 is also the 75th Anniversary of the first and second battles of El Alamein

For 1/72 WWI releases, I think an Albatros D.III and a Sopwith Triplane would be a good start.

• Like 3

IMHO there's no doubt the airfix Picture is the same one in Vladans museum photo.So that's a new Mitchell then!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

20th November is the 100th Anniversary of Cambrai. Would a 48th Rhomboid be too much to hope for? I'm wondering what other non-aircraft subjects Airfix may think of.

That would be my Bank Manager Airfix would be sending Christmas cards too as well.

I'm becoming somewhat cynical about Airfix's teaser photos. One used previously showed the underside of the Sunderland at Hendon and what kit was the next to be announced? The Walrus, an example of which is (was) sat just feet from the Sunderland. 

Whilst I can see sense in a new B 25 from Airfix ( Back catalogue good seller, worn out tool etc) I do wonder what other object at Overloon they were really researching.

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

I'm becoming somewhat cynical about Airfix's teaser photos. One used previously showed the underside of the Sunderland at Hendon and what kit was the next to be announced? The Walrus, an example of which is (was) sat just feet from the Sunderland. 

Whilst I can see sense in a new B 25 from Airfix ( Back catalogue good seller, worn out tool etc) I do wonder what other object at Overloon they were really researching.

What teaser showed a Sunderland? 

It has been said elsewhere that an Airfix representative said at Telford that they were not to do any more military vehicles (or words close to that effect).  Presumably, at least, not before the financial recovery of Hornby, I suggest.  So they wouldn't be looking at anything else.  It is true that their MiG21 could also be a contender for new tooling, but if that's the choice then the evidence says B-25 to me.