More on Airfix 2017

Denford

Did Airfix made any twins in 1/48, recently? I would guess it's 1:72, as it would fit better in their range. They already have the Do-17, He-111, Beaufigher, Hampden, Whitley, Blehneim...

Alex

Also in 1/72 it fits the long running requirement to replace a completely worn-out and outdated tool that has been a good seller over the years. Given the price of the Hasegawa ones I think a new Airfix one will do well in the UK market.  Hope we get lurid box art, the original Roy Cross was an absolute classic and the mroe recent Adam Tooby was jolly invigorating too.

Type%203%20B-25%20Mitchell.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 71chally said:

This could be interesting then, which scale do we need a new Mitchell in the most, 48th would be dandy with me!

Though 72nd better for the Catch22 take off scene diorama!

3 minutes ago, alex said:

Did Airfix made any twins in 1/48, recently? I would guess it's 1:72, as it would fit better in their range. They already have the Do-17, He-111, Beaufigher, Hampden, Whitley, Blehneim...

Alex

WIP has just beat me to the drop.

The Hasegawa kit is nice but expensive, I picked up the Revell boxing which only has the gun nose, an affordable glass nose B-25J would be welcome.

1 minute ago, Work In Progress said:

Also in 1/72 it fits the long running requirement to replace a completely worn-out tool that has been a good seller over the years. Given the price of the Hasegawa ones I think a new Airfix one will do well in the UK market.

Exactly, the Airfix B-25 was always a popular kit when I was a kid so it makes sense that they would replace it, plenty of options and users to give them a additional boxing's too.

A new 1/72 B-25 would fill a rather large hole for sure, and certainly would be crossing my workbench at some point.

There's a lovely photo in the big RAF Flying Units reference book of three RAF Mitchells from an OTU based somewhere in the West Indies wheeling low over a tropical beach.I guess if you have to sign up for the duration that wouldn't be too bad a posting at all.

I was just thinking this morning that another US bomber seemed like bets on. I also came to the same conclusion, that they'd measured FR193 at Overloon.

So they'd be replacing the 1:72 B-25J tool (Roy Cross art above) with a B-25 C/D. Excellent, more RAF options for me!

And here's a thought, there's a high-back Spitfire XIV hanging from the roof of the same building, not twenty yards away. They surely can't have walked straight past that with their Lidar apparatus without giving it a glance...can they?

• Like 3

A new early mark 1/72 B-25 would be most welcome indeed. Although not a bad kit, the 'Italeri Job' has raised panel lines and oversized fuse windows all along it (just stating the obvious flaws). 

This also ties in nicely with the recent announcement from DK decals for a set of 345th BG decals currently in preparation - see 72041 http://www.dkdecals.cz/

It just has to be 1/72... Doolittle raid is also a good anniversary opportunity not to be missed. 

Cheers... Dave 

Well done to the BM Massiv! I would like a 48th version but I'm happy fr the 72nd fans. The take-off scenes would give modern H&S a fit! 

Where else would an American, a Brit and a Polish person ID an aircraft in a Dutch museum than here on BM?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, occa said:

I only hope they'll leave room for all the major variants ...

Sadly, they'd need to tool two different rear fuselages, and I suspect they won't wish to do that.  Perhaps moulding the option of the side gun positions seen on the late Ds may be a step too far - are they on the Overloon example?  I don't think so.  A good choice, yes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Well done to the BM Massiv! I would like a 48th version but I'm happy fr the 72nd fans. The take-off scenes would give modern H&S a fit! 

Where else would an American, a Brit and a Polish person ID an aircraft in a Dutch museum than here on BM?

So far Airfix have announced 3 x 1/48, and  2 x 1/72 subjects for next year: that's in follow up to B-17 and Victor, both large.

I feel therefore we should 'expect' some small 1/72 subjects.  At Telford I was told that the WW1 subjects recently released had sold 'quite well' and surely there is now sufficient lead time to follow them up with more.  WW1 isn't my era, but the beaming subject of today's window of the Airfix calendar could well be sitting in one.  Forget the style of helmet and throat microphones; after all he's reading the Airfix Yearbook (or whatever) so ought to be wearing a bone dome!

Not many WW11 aircraft had the rather 'steep' windscreen except perhaps the Roc and Skua.  Now one (I forget which) is in pieces at Yeovilton, and we know that Airfix have been there.  However when I last saw it, the pieces were lying 'on the floor' and even with the likes of Photoshop it would be hard to produce today's calendar window.

As an aside, Airfix have already LIDARed the Sea Fury, Phantom and Walrus: who knows what else is stored on their hard drives.  It's my hope that the Avenger is there, conveniently with it's wing folded.  Airfix's Avenger is surely due for retooling: Hasegawa, though OK, is no longer up to modern standards and of course lacks wingfold.  Attempts to persuade Wolfpack (at Telford) to provide a wingfold for it have foundered on my lack of Korean.....

Edited by Denford
Original incomplete

The photo from today's (December 3) Advent Calendar is B-25 in Overloon Museum:

teaser-1-_final_1.jpg

008.jpg

The horizontal bar on the forward top part of the canopy gave the impression of a steeply raked canopy frame line. Another clue that it is not Skua or Roc is the side by side seating (you can see another crew member to the side just below the Airfix Magazine the pilot is holding.

Edited by Vladan Dugaric
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Denford said:

I feel therefore we should 'expect' some small 1/72 subjects.  At Telford I was told that the WW1 subjects recently released had sold 'quite well' and surely there is now sufficient lead time to follow them up with more.  WW1 isn't my era, but the beaming subject of today's window of the Airfix calendar could well be sitting in one.  Forget the style of helmet and throat microphones; after all he's reading the Airfix Yearbook (or whatever) so ought to be wearing a bone dome!

Not many WW11 aircraft had the rather 'steep' windscreen except perhaps the Roc and Skua.  Now one (I forget which) is in pieces at Yeovilton, and we know that Airfix have been there.  However when I last saw it, the pieces were lying 'on the floor' and even with the likes of Photoshop it would be hard to produce today's calendar window.

I agree that more WWI subjects would be welcome, but the subject of today's advent calendar isn't  one of them. It's been definitively identified as an early B-25 / Mitchell III from a museum in the Netherlands.

Edited by VMA131Marine

I'm hoping for another RAF subject preferably in 1/72nd scale, whilst the Walrus, Phantom and Mustang all wore RAF markings they're not really RAF subjects per-se, a nice Hunter would fit the bill nicely!

Edited by Wez
fat figners typnig

40 minutes ago, Vladan Dugaric said:

The photo from today's (December 3) Advent Calendar is B-25 in Overloon Museum:

teaser-1-_final_1.jpg

008.jpg

The horizontal bar on the forward top part of the canopy gave the impression of a steeply raked canopy frame line. Another clue that it is not Skua or Roc is the side by side seating (you can see another crew member to the side just below the Airfix Magazine the pilot is holding.

This shows quite definitely that IT IS NOT a B-25

Look at the top left hand corner of the magazine and a 'member' comes across above it (SW -NE) to join the upright just above the magazine.

Now look at the B-25: yes the magazine is gone but the nearest sloped member, to the left is NOWHERE NEAR the pilot.

Sorry you B-25 fans - yes I'm one too - but we may have to wait a little longer.....