More on Airfix 2017

Denford

At Telford Airfix told me that they still had 'a few more' releases for 2017.

All would be announced via the ?Club Newsletter? (can't remember exact title as I'm not a member) - probably first - then Workbench.

All would be 'by Christmas'.

• Like 7

Just now, Phil32 said:

I've seem rumour on here of another announcement being due today to follow the Phantom. Did they give any indication of that being due as well? Or am I dreaming too hard??

No indication, just they would be all be announced by Christmas.

I'm sure they will be 1/72 - my scale - as so far for 2017 it's in a definite minority.

That sounds like they are not going to do like last year and do an Yearbook rather than Catalogue but purely go with the Workbench to highlight each new tooling in turn ?

I recall the Yearbook appeared at SMW last year and was advertised in the Airfix Modelworld, so with no mention as yet by those who get the mag or at the show it appears there is no sign of a yearbook so far.

First of all, I wonder if there is a chance for non-aircraft new tool. Cutting means rather not, but they could have been developing something before cuts and maybe they will carry on such non-aircraft project.

1 hour ago, Botan said:

First of all, I wonder if there is a chance for non-aircraft new tool. Cutting means rather not, but they could have been developing something before cuts and maybe they will carry on such non-aircraft project.

Their suggestion sheet asked for three aircraft subjects and three 'other suggestions'. If they didn't intend to kit anything other than aircraft why ask for suggestions?.

BTW I asked for 1:48 versions of their airfield support vehicles, a JCB 3X in 1:32 and the Mary Rose in 1:72 

Well the stats hold true 3 British, 1 American and 1 German new tool release so far but the surprise has been in the scales 3 x 1/48 new tools so far!

I will confidently predict a B-17G + USAAF Bomber Re-supply Gift Set boxing but they are not new tool for 2017!

I confidently predict we'll all keep talking about Airfix not only until the December announcement but also for long after. As a company they are managing this beautifully and keeping their brand foremost in our attention. It's almost impossible to ignore what their latest release news is around the forum and that can't be bad publicity regardless of what subject or scale it may be.

• Like 7

Quite so Col they keep bringing out interesting subjects and even the less so ones are normally discussed and justified.

Interesting to hear that the Yearbook exercise is not being repeated and have returned to a traditional catalogue, although it looks like they will use the Workbench to announce them first so they can each get the attention they deserve, as the Airfix team appear to have as much passion for the subjects they do as we modellers have in building them (and talking and talking about them B)

• Like 1

So, let's take stock of what we know for next year:

New tool:

1/72 Messerschmitt Me 262

1/72 McDonnell Phantom FG.1

1/48 Supermarine Walrus

1/48 P-51D Mustang

1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

Modified tool:

1/72 Avro Shackleton AEW.2

1/72 BE.2c trainer

Revised decals:

1/72 or 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire PR.19

1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 110C

Not bad so far. I think that a 1/48 Curtiss Tomahawk, 1/48 RAAF Meteor F.8 and a starter set issue of the Jet Provost are all possible.

• Like 1

2018 and 2019 will definitely be less expansive , but given the amount of new toolings released in the last five years there is plenty to reissue, from my point of view one thing that definitely needs to change

in the future, unfortunately more uncertain times  is that there should be far more "new" boxings of current kits, meaning new decal options and complementary new boxarts.

In my opinion two kits that should be reissued asap are Spitfire Mk.22/24 ( with many years ago promised retooled canopy ) and Sea Vixen FAW.2 in 1/48

As for tooling alterations and or / decal change...plenty of options

Beaufighter Mk.Ic

Tiger Moth Floatplane

Hurricat with catapult

Tomahawk

Meteor F.8 RAAF

Meteor F.8 No.245 Sqn w/ refuelling probe etc...etc...

7 hours ago, Bjorn said:

In the latest issue of AMW, Chris Clifford writes that we should not expect as many new toolings as last years. So it might be not so much more than this. I hope I am wrong...

Well I'd settle for a 1/72 Spit Vb/c and Mosquito.

• Like 5

Aside from the new moulds we already know about I would expect to see a 1/72nd Fortress III, 1/72nd and 1/48th Ju-87B/R-2, Shackleton AEW.2, 1/48th Meteor FR.9, 1/48th Curtiss Tomahawk I/II and a Sea Hurricane, anything more would be the icing on the cake but I would dearly love to see another post-war jet.

• Like 1