Tornado GR.4 Op Shader decals

128fiddler

Hi,

I was sourcing decals to produce a Tornado GR.4 in 1/72 looking like one of the aircraft flying from Akrotiri for Op Shader. Therefor I've 2 questions:

Can anyone provide a serial list of the aircraft deployed (public or if that's not possible, through PM?)

And for what my research has brought up, it seems they have all rather dull markings without squadron markings and display only a white 3-digit number on the tail (XV Squadron?). I couldn't find any decals to use for this subject, only I stumbled across Xtradecal X72158 RAF White letters, numerals and titles which seem to be the right style of numbers to use, but are they really?

I can source the serials from other decal sheets but these 3 digit codes are somewhat difficult to get by seemingly.

Thanks in advance!!!

Greetings

These jets are currently on Op Shader 

ZA449/020

ZA592/059

ZA597/063

these have been part of Op Shader at some point

ZA557/048

ZA458/024

ZA601/066

ZA744/092

ZA588/056

ZA560/050

dare say there are/have been more but those are the ones I'm aware of

Edited by scotthldr

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at all the serials I think ZA592/059 will be the lucky number.

It has been pictured with the Tornado Therma pod which I really would love to put underneath. For example ZD744/092 seems to be using the venerable Skyshadow pod, which is an all to familiar sight while I'm trying to materialise an 'up to date modern' Tonka :)

Now only the right size of numbers for it. The decalsheet refers to as 4, 6 8 and 12" in hight. Someone knows what size is used on the Tornado?

Thanks!

Aha, I can use the xtradecals sheet then :) Thank you. I already got a Terma pod. Their Brimstones are still to be rereleased so I can get them together with a Harrier Terma (for a future Airfix build)

I think I'm going to convert GBU-49s to Paveway IV from Eduard. Am I right to say the only difference is the top housing emerging out of the front unit, replacing the long duct running allong the side of the 49s?

Thanks!

Edited by 128fiddler
typo's and refrasing ;)

If you need to know which jets have been out to Cyprus and the such and what the normal load out it like out there, all Shader jets fly with Therma pods (which us in the RAF call Aircm pod btw) just give me a PM, im currently on IX(B) sqn and i spent quite abit of time out there last year, even getting myself on tv seeing off the jets on the first strikes to Syria.

There have been a few jets out there with sqn markings on, mostly 31 Sqn markings, but 095 had a 2(AC) sqn marking on the left hand side of its tail

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:02 PM, 128fiddler said:

I think I'm going to convert GBU-49s to Paveway IV from Eduard. Am I right to say the only difference is the top housing emerging out of the front unit, replacing the long duct running allong the side of the 49s?

There's the hardback on the top of the weapon that isn't present on the GBU-49, plus the ducting is different on the side of the weapon. Not sure about GPS lumps and bumps.

It's a shame that no-one has yet done an accurate Paveway IV in 1/72.