HMS Queen of Thanet

Aginvicta

The bases of the two funnels were cleaned up and the correct angle filed on them before they were glued in place. I then spent Saturday morning fitting the funnel stays. I used 0.06mm wire which was cut over length first of all before being gradually trimmed to the correct length, checking against the funnel until I was happy with the fit. I cleaned up the 4 mushroom shaped ventilators and they were then glued in place, The front gun platform had it’s legs bent down and then it was glued with PVA. The 2 railings were then fitted, again using PVA first of all and then CA gel to firmly fix the rails. I had a couple of “blast bags” come off whilst fitting the rails but these were easily refitted later. I decided to make a start on the main mast, it’s made from 0.3mm wire which was cut slightly over length to allow for the small hole I had already drilled in the deck. A 8.5mm length of 0.2mm wire then has to be glued across the mast for the yardarm. This was glued with PVA so I had plenty of time to get at right angles and in the middle. The 2 lifeboats were carefully cleaned up and then a P.E. rudder and tiller arm fitted, this took quiet a while, the parts are so small and difficult to hold, but I managed to get them in place eventually. I will need to paint these lifeboats before I fit them when I can work out how to hold them to paint the hulls.

Andy

038fcf66-3da9-47b7-bc42-3f766ec88499_zps

eb6437b6-3763-42e8-a276-a666434a314f_zps

ceb289b8-45c0-4693-84b5-51513f212e24_zps

19d5faef-9668-4178-ac91-e2007fe86e2b_zps

82c65860-2125-4518-b5ce-4a4aaeb8782b_zps

ff079eba-aac7-4513-b1d1-6a20fae72d6c_zps

bb4e0601-7b9e-4205-b680-d01466c29382_zps

• Like 4

22 hours ago, jenko said:

Great looking model there. A labour of love that is reaping rewards.

Nice one.

Dick

Thank you Dick, I'm struggling a little bit with this but it's worth it,

Andy

On 29/01/2017 at 9:12 PM, Aginvicta said:

I will need to paint these lifeboats before I fit them when I can work out how to hold them to paint the hulls.

Try a wee blob of well softened Blue Tack on a toothpick.

• Like 1

I used a small blob of Bluetac to hold the lifeboats whilst I painted the hulls. They were left overnight to dry out and then they were glued in place. The inside of the lifeboats were then painted with deck tan. Two of the “H” top resin “chimneys” were cleaned up and then glued in place, there is another one to fit but that goes next to one of the railings so I thought it better to fit the railing first. I started with the railings that go round the paddlewheel covers. These had to be folded and then carefully put in place, first with PVA and then C.A. gel. I managed to loose one railing, pinged from the tweezers never to be seen again. Fortunately I have some spare 1/700 scale railings so I was able to cut a piece to size and use that. I had some fun with the railings going up to the bow, not only do they need to be curved but the bit at the bow is only one rail and very easy to bend out of shape. Instead of trying to glue the whole railing on in one go, I started at the end away from the bows and glued on 5mm at a time, this made it easier to curve the railing to match the bows.

I was going to finish off and fit the two masts when I realised that I hadn’t fitted the main guns. The AA gun at the stern was fitted with no problems, but whilst fitting the 2 pounder at the bows I managed to knock off the end of the barrel. Clumsy is my middle name. A small dot of C.A. gel and surprisingly I got the barrel back in the correct place at the first attempt. The 2 small machine guns were also added to their stands on top of the paddlewheel covers. I am in two minds about whether to fit the front flagstaff, all the photos I have seen of Q of T during her time in Scotland at the time I am depicting show her without the front flagstaff, so I’ll leave it off. It will make the fitting of the 2 forestays from the main mast a lot easier as well. Just the 2 masts to do and some rigging and that will be me finished,

Andy

6f4f991c-ea1d-4e55-bd99-e324d9d127e3_zps

a82c753f-bdd2-4e22-aa20-3fa2a6cef158_zps

QueenG3_zps5libm0js.jpg

QueenG4_zpsqcs5o6qo.jpg

QueenG5_zpsmmi6u8cx.jpg

QueenG6_zpsx0ayh2ao.jpg

• Like 3