"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

12 hours ago, woody37 said:

Enjoying your build, these old kits can come up rather well with TLC as you're showing here. Love the KISS picture on your wall too, good taste in music :)

Thanks yes. Ever since I can remember I've loved kiss, models, Dr who, Video games...... I'm such a Nerd. ;)

• Like 4

On 16/12/2016 at 8:54 AM, The Spadgent said:

Thanks Jason.

" Charlie, tea kettle, BBQ " to quote the young ones. :lol:

its actually a quote from a film Tony Tiger mentioned. "Battle of Britain" I think it was. I had to change the swares though.

Fab work Johnny wheel wells,she looks great,makes me want to splash out and go back to 1970.

BTW,here they are "coming down" at about 1 min 16 secs:

• Like 2

Kiss and a 1/24th 109 - have I slipped back to the early 80s?   Enjoying your build.  Saw Kiss back in the 90s sans makeup on the crazy nights tour.  Whitley Bay Ice Rink if I remember correctly.  No Peter Criss then though.

• Like 4

Ha Brilliant, I think this years will be my fifth time. First in the 90s revenge tour, saw them at The Monsters of Rock Ace and Peter. (That was something) and every U.K. Tour since. 

Looks like I'm in even better company than I thought. :guitar:

You guys Rock! :devil:

Johny.

• Like 2

I never seen Kiss until Download last year TBH and as a youngster I was on the fence with them. It wasn't until a seen a cover band about 5 years ago did I get off the fence, it's just good old pure rock and that comes across at a live show in a way that you don't always get from studio albums.

sorry for causing a distraction, now I'm back with the 109 :)

• Like 1

Nice to see some fans of no nonsense rock 'n' roll out there. :guitar:

Back to the 109. :huh: one step forward three steps back.:( I'm afraid. Let's start st the start. 

39CAF22C-7BD6-4009-9B77-8C77E58A5EDC_zpsk5h05bxv

I added the IP but something wasn't right, the fit looked a little hoaky and the fit instructions were about as clear as mud. It had nothing to do with the Yahu part as that was super thin so I decided to fit the canopy to check. :mellow:

26DED3C1-D524-494D-9F42-00BC36774E26_zpsf1dpwvee

well bugger.:unsure: the whole lot was too big to fit the canopy over, how is that even possible? Nothing for it but to sand it back.

447C46E1-F534-4AEA-BA31-74C702BF39C0_zpsvcrxdhqv

it was a bit of a pain sanding back after a finished paint job but I had no choice. Sanding merrily away I snagged off the Yahu IP. :doh: hence the clips in the shot. Checking the canopy again it fitted but the IP took up most of the lower window pain. A pain indeed.

it was just too far forward. I'd fitted everything to the letter but no dice. I ripped the bloody thing off.:puke:

98A3A070-6763-4621-95DF-FD1795EC9608_zpsodw5hzlh

it looked as though if I wanted the unit to move back I had to lose this bit. So off it came. There are no pics of the painful procedure but after a shed load of sanding and scraping and cutting I managed to get the top section into the correct position, I added the targeting sight too and touched up all the paint work ready for weathering take two.

329FBC4B-E0E0-4253-8E83-51561FFFA0E4_zpsvsbhkdru

5B874DED-5CE9-4EF3-8690-15B46DFB6D30_zpsqbkct3ak

the whole thing looks much neater now and the most important thing the canopy now fits, the lower window is free of crap too:king:.

I decided now would be a good time to clear the rats maze that was the bench after a frenzied fixer upper session. Everything got popped back into their pots dust and plastic filing scraped into the bin, everything tidy. Then I notice this.

8C125D81-FA34-4DE3-9D83-1609BFDE2EED_zps9spsbe6r

what do you mean you can't see it,:crying: the darn machine gun steady has dropped off. This actually is taking the pistachio now. It must be on the bench, the one that is now free of rubbish as I scraped it into the bin.:undecided: I even checked the old sock but no joy.  Just on my way to sift the bin I noticed the little bugger on the carpet. Huzzar some luck. :pray: here it is back in place.

E264628B-94D0-48D1-B3A3-9548A6894625_zps6hflgfy2

right, That's it for tonight, right back where I started. :mental: thanks for sticking with the roller coaster. The rock 'n' rollercoaster if you will........

sorry.

Office party Tomorrow so nothing now until Friday. Take care y'all and happy modelling. 

Johnny boy.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on the cockpit and the wheel wells are coming up a treat. So are the carpet monster and sock monster distant cousins?

No, siblings!

Lovely detail work, I'm drooling :Tasty: with envy. Green drool, though, to match the envy. Er.

Great save on the panel/windshield. I don't remember that being a problem on mine, but I did use the earlier rounded canopy.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks Mart. You haven't given me any grief sir, simply good advice. :lol:

John.

No John! I was referring to the IP giving you grief. Is there  "should have gone to Specsavers emoticon?

Martian

• Like 2

Yeah sure I'll have another wine...... wha? Oh dang it's hard to shake that Christmas habit.:lol:

Hope you all had a great time with your families, my extended family vacated the house this morning allowing us to have a little rest. Which means I got a little bench time. :santa: I've been re thinking how to do the wheel wells for a day or two so I thought I'd hit it today. I'm going to build the metal rib sections and not the zipped cloth so the all in one just wouldnt work so the boiled plastic had to go. The skeletal struts look through to other struts and aren't solid so I tried to get this down as best I could within the limits of fitting the wing together. First up a solid back plate, all this was plasticard and sprue glued with TET.

390346EF-8B31-41E0-BF1B-C70345BF63D0_zpsznkwtt3h

next up I measured the angled hole section, then drew out where to cut.

the leg area got cut to size too.

4772F00B-3DF8-433C-B1F6-E2DEA451F68D_zpsswuesga6

The holes got cut with a super sharp blade and I've found that if you bend first gluing is a doddle, I used some small pliers and slightly twisted the plastic a bit at a time until the whole section was the right shape.

21CCF7F7-E28F-418B-84F1-792004FE19F1_zpsulo7aucz

Then glued.

CA52F5A5-98D9-48D1-BCCA-3E2403ACBAA0_zps17s78ama

The second side got measured and drilled to make the holed section, the flat far. Side got added too.

A93B8C9D-F555-4F2F-A8E7-B6E595A9EC13_zpsg6kevng1

Looks pretty good from where it matters.

C5694B65-3B9E-4D58-AEB5-4B770976B54F_zpssr0m3zql

6251834E-9A33-4B8A-B716-8545FDE2FC29_zpsjzwvphjd

I have decided not to have the the guns on show which saves me a whole lot of work, although I did drill out the end. :rambo:

BB9A1735-BD22-4AF4-9D68-1242E781BBC6_zps0rpkgijt

I had to sand and cut to get the other side to fit but yay.

5E4D9BE5-B77F-4F27-8A98-5279DCF34C29_zpsa0vj7iiy

a little detail strip got added to hide any gaps.

BB8E3058-AE68-4460-95AF-F1EE4D6AEDB6_zpsa0loyvoh

The rib section got added too, the gun covers were popped on and the guns fitted. Then I did the othe side. :rambo: Including cutting the flaps again.:S

069743FD-B58F-4E21-A3FC-9CB61B589C29_zpssd3ya0p5

So after all that we are here.

D6DD18EE-409D-4FFD-8201-5ACB61CB9B9C_zpscmsvdfrl

And milliput added.

3A49FE1E-5288-4A6C-BE20-12F891CFA25A_zpszoirctoz

Excuse the blobby, it will get sanded. ;)

really happy with today's progress. Looking forward to getting the fuselage together and wings on. 

Thanks for looking in. I'm back on Christmas duty tomorrow but hopefully more soon. 

Happy Yuletide Modelling gents.

Jont.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8