"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

:wow: they are a bit tattered. You have to build this now. Look how much they need some love. (Nudge, nudge););).

Pre-weathered :). By the way, I cribbed one of your markings photos and put it under my snap to indicate the difference in transfer numbers 'twixt the two kits.

That's a very tempting hint. Maybe one day...I have already started the Airfix FW-190 A5 (A8?) though. Well, it's had most of the parts cut from the runners and the engine cylinder bank pairs glued up...if that can be called 'starting'. Rest of the 109 album here

• Like 2

Well saved with the chipping accident John.

I used dabs and splashes of masking fluid (placed carefully I might add) over a darkened aluminium.

Then rubbed it off at the end Fnar.

Liking this build quite a lot mate.

Taking a bog standard kit and adding those pieces .

Simon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks!  I can't sing the praises of airbrushes enough. Since moving over to them a few months ago it's been an amazing learning experience. So many great techniques to try out. 

Go for it, you won't regret it. :pilot:

John

A few months ago...

Only a few months???

I assumed you had been practicing these black arts for quite a long time (gob smacked - can't find an emoticon for that)

I am more encouraged than ever :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexN said:

Pre-weathered :). By the way, I cribbed one of your markings photos and put it under my snap to indicate the difference in transfer numbers 'twixt the two kits.

That's a very tempting hint. Maybe one day...I have already started the Airfix FW-190 A5 (A8?) though. Well, it's had most of the parts cut from the runners and the engine cylinder bank pairs glued up...if that can be called 'starting'. Rest of the 109 album here

Strange that the two kits have different markings? I gues they do do that though.^_^ but yes you must build it. I want to see someone else putting this beast together too. :pilot:

8 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well saved with the chipping accident John.

I used dabs and splashes of masking fluid (placed carefully I might add) over a darkened aluminium.

Then rubbed it off at the end Fnar.

Liking this build quite a lot mate.

Taking a bog standard kit and adding those pieces .

Simon.

I just bought some maskol but not for chipping strangely. Don't worry I have a plan.;)

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

A few months ago...

Only a few months???

I assumed you had been practicing these black arts for quite a long time (gob smacked - can't find an emoticon for that)

I am more encouraged than ever :)

A fair few months, I think I got my compressor in April time last year and my Iwata brush a month after that.  And thanks for the kind words. Hopefully you'll find the joys of the blow paint too.

if you need any info on what kit I bought just let me know. 

Johnny.

• Like 3

Is there an emoticon of someone having their arm being twisted (severely ;))? 

:hmmm:

I could demonstrate just how good yours is by comparison, I suppose... Mind you, I think I'll need 1/24 after the 1/72 Seafire has finished with me.

• Like 1

Late tired eyes update, so I'll keep it brief.:sleep_1:

My first attempt with masks was a mixed bag, not sure if I got em right but I think I did. Here look at the pic and you'll see what I mean.

4139E8EF-F6D6-4C32-A1E1-88775F418BA7_zpsy2pxw6wd

the dark line on the rear fuselage is the mask. I had to cut around the cockpit and cut a bit off the back which makes me think I got it wrong somehow. Either way most of the wing root and main tail had to be masked with Tape. The mask itself was really good and I could shuffle it around to get it right and being able to see through it was a real bonus but I just wish there were more side ones. To be fair the front and cowl ones I didn't use as the engine is out. So I'll take the blame for that. Criticism aside though I'm looking forward to using them on the wings, should make everything a lot quicker.

so any way on with the paint.

coat one. 

6F61DE72-BD88-41D6-A4C9-25746AD597EC_zpsdmctrj5o

heavily thinned RLM02 ( Tamiya mix )

coat two.

783141BC-DA5A-404C-A9CE-11AC3CD83D95_zpsfilj856y

looking good.:guitar:

coat three.

0D661116-6684-4D1A-BAB1-EEBFCA65959F_zpsueyjswqq

D43FBA3C-4AE4-4DA2-AC68-341BC3027381_zpsl1gffnjn

and finally some white highlights added to some panels. And the flaps done.

DDDC8B39-A359-40FF-A8BF-53FB6E6C6AEE_zpsxu6dnizg

F854F695-718B-48C1-86C7-A4F041659BCF_zpscuiffyhd

4C09ADF3-F829-4690-9F23-6900C8598491_zpsymfalxwx

Im pretty happy with that but my eyes might fall out as I needs ma bed.

thanks for popping in at such a late hour.

take care y'all and Happy Modelling.

Johnny 12:15 :sleep_1:

Dark green next! 

On 18/01/2017 at 0:10 AM, AlexN said:

Is there an emoticon of someone having their arm being twisted (severely ;))? 

:hmmm:

I could demonstrate just how good yours is by comparison, I suppose...

Don't be like that it's huge you'll be fine. :yahoo: That's not saying you're not fine with smaller birds, it's just you like em big.  

Right? ;)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8

Looking very nice indeed!

Personally I'd give it another coat or two to reduce the preshading to "visible only if you look for it" rather than having it highly visible. Just my tastes though, so if you're happy, stay with it!

Ian

• Like 4

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looking very nice indeed!

Personally I'd give it another coat or two to reduce the preshading to "visible only if you look for it" rather than having it highly visible. Just my tastes though, so if you're happy, stay with it!

Ian

I still have the dark green to add so I left some of the lines where that will be quite dark. I'll have a look tonight and se what I think. :smartass:

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

I agree with Ian. Another coat of RLM02 will tone it down a little. As it is now, it's a little too stark, but we've all been there in our first attempts of pre-shading ;)

As above. I've pre shaded quite a bit before but this is my first attempt at coloured pre shading. I'm planning on adding washes and dings and scratches after this pass and worry if I knock it back now I'll loose any base work. It might look to stark now but with everything else going on I think it'll hold true. I'll have a look tonight.

thanks for the advice though.

Johnny

• Like 1

Something I always find extremely hard to judge myself is how the appearance of a model is changed by differing intensities and angles of light. I have to remind myself continually in my own work not to be painting so that it looks OK under bench lights and then get a nasty shock in daylight when the effect either disappears or become too intense. I guess the best we can do is to paint for an approximation of the lighting conditions the model will end up being seen most frequently in?

Enjoying the changing appearance here! :thumbsup2:

You're not a make-up artist by trade are you?B)

Keep it up - lovely stuff.

Tony 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Something I always find extremely hard to judge myself is how the appearance of a model is changed by differing intensities and angles of light. I have to remind myself continually in my own work not to be painting so that it looks OK under bench lights and then get a nasty shock in daylight when the effect either disappears or become too intense. I guess the best we can do is to paint for an approximation of the lighting conditions the model will end up being seen most frequently in?

Enjoying the changing appearance here! :thumbsup2:

You're not a make-up artist by trade are you?B)

Keep it up - lovely stuff.

Tony 

Thanks Tony.

Yeah you're right. It's a really bright light. It won't be until the weekend when I get to see her in daylight. I'll pop her down stairs where the lights are brighter tonight and have a think.

no not make up dahling. ;)

• Like 3

Hey you lot. It's been a right cave bonanza couple of three days going on, it's mainly because the wife is doing her taxes, so I'm taking advantage. :wicked:

Got back tonight and bought the old 109 daarn stairs and had a look in different lights and you know what? I'm happy, she might not be to everyone's taste but it's what I was aiming for so I'm running with it. I'm planning a whole heap of never tried before stuff on her after decals and a good top coat so I better get on with that paint mixing and masking. :violin:

while we're on about masks I discovered that the ones Sean sent and my scheme are slightly different. 

EE1D87B6-9F08-4B2F-B4C8-808107AB14F3_zps0gi9sywe

the rear of the fuselage is the other way around and some of the splinter marks are in slightly different places. :smurf:

With that I'm determined to make good use of them so it's a slight tweak here and a cut and tickle there and we have this.

098753E8-F923-41D1-9F07-4AC2FA3EF385_zps2m734try

the masks themselves are really good and it's convinced me to get some for markings in the future as they can be shuffled around a lot. Any hoo on with the dunklegrun or such other. ''Twas a mix of XF-11 XF-60 XF-10.

I loaded up the old blow pipe and let rip.

5515495A-955F-4DDA-9AB6-31AC010F0455_zpsfaumffki

ps. Please don't shoot me, as much as I like American beauty I'm not fussed at how it turned out.

swiftly moving on. The best thing about air brushing is the drying time, so here we go with the strip tease."cue music"

da da, da, daaaaaa.

9F0A059A-A25C-41FD-BCF2-860881E458C5_zpsnrndtvdm

da da, da, daaaaaaaa.

oh to hell with it.

F03357CF-24D5-4E71-B397-800DA5C80D09_zpsnwsuhper

kicked off and at the bottom of the bed. ( the wrapping not the girl.;) )

here she is.:wub:

E0669A86-46A2-4972-B3DB-CEBE9182A8DC_zpsp6npjgdw

A91494A5-9FCA-4330-98C3-B1EDD137E834_zps9xxcpbcm

3D326783-288A-495D-AD54-F2B419EC07E0_zpsuyet2axu

63B82CA4-9A1F-45CD-B71B-EBA07EB6D732_zpsstm9i7xx

I'm really pleased with that, honestly when that blue came out i felt like I needed a post unwrapping smoke! If I still smoked that is. :lol: I'm going to let everything cure over night, and get a nice glass of red and post up on BM. "That's me now" hope you like the way she's going. I'm looking forward to a whole bunch of weathering stuff I'm learning from ma new books.

Thanks again to Sean for sending the masks they were a great help.

im now in the mood to catch up with what you lot have been doing.

thanks for dropping by.

happy modelling chaps.

Johnny.:hobbyhorse:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 15

The last 3 pics look perfect, fabulous job! The only reason I mentioned extra coats was that I recently saw a pic of a very nice Skyraider that was ruined by preshading that was so obvious it looked as though some kid had scribbled all over it!

Good job!

Ian

• Like 1

Wow! :wow: too!

Proof of the pudding, etc., etc. :). You can be justifiably proud of that! Maybe I'll get onto the 109 when I've finished the Seafire and polished off the >> 6 half-finished models scattered/squirrelled about the place. I may have learnt started to learn which end of an airbrush is which by then!

:goodjob:!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind me popping this on your thread John.

It's the one I built, must be 20-25 years ago.

As you can see it's a good example of seriously overdone weathering, not to mention all the wrong colours:doh:.

One for the oven cleaner and a nice revamp coming up :D

Airfix24Bf109E4WIP-18-01-17basic01_zpspl

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Excellent piece of work John.

She damn sweet if I say so myself.

Enjoy the glass(es) of red.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. I'm really enjoying this part. The wine was lovely. ;)

21 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Really, really nice work Johnny. That is looking the business mate :worthy:. Cheers Greg 

Thank you. G

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Looking impressive!

Martian

Thanks M

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Beautiful, very convincing. Like it very much.:goodjob::goodjob:

Oh my. Thank you so much. :)

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The last 3 pics look perfect, fabulous job! The only reason I mentioned extra coats was that I recently saw a pic of a very nice Skyraider that was ruined by preshading that was so obvious it looked as though some kid had scribbled all over it!

Good job!

Ian

That's ok about talking about the extra coats, I knew where I was going with the pre shading and didn't want to get de railed is all. The next few steps however will be less sure footed.:huh:

20 hours ago, AlexN said:

Wow! :wow: too!

Proof of the pudding, etc., etc. :). You can be justifiably proud of that! Maybe I'll get onto the 109 when I've finished the Seafire and polished off the >> 6 half-finished models scattered/squirrelled about the place. I may have learnt started to learn which end of an airbrush is which by then!

:goodjob:!

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks. You need to build it. You're worth it.:D

19 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

You're really bringing the best out of this old girl there John. Lovely work :thumbsup:

I only have one thing to say.... PAINT!!!! :D

I REALLY want to redo mine now :frantic:

I'll have to get some aftermarket decals for it though.:hmmm:

Thanks Phil. I do love my paint. I do. I do. :wub:

19 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

Hope you don't mind me popping this on your thread John.

It's the one I built, must be 20-25 years ago.

As you can see it's a good example of seriously overdone weathering, not to mention all the wrong colours:doh:.

One for the oven cleaner and a nice revamp coming up :D

WOW! That's ace I really like how knackered it looks. I love the dude inside too.

14 hours ago, Christer A said:

Those new shots do look very good!

Lighting is everything it seems! Can't wait for the gloss coat and decals :clap2:

Tanks Christer. I wobbled for a minute but taking her into different lighted rooms settled it for me. Hopefully I'll get the weathering right. It's going to be fun.

12 hours ago, woody37 said:

It's certainly looking the part now :)

Cheers Woody. :)

• Like 3