"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

On 06/01/2017 at 11:38 PM, tango98 said:

You're doing a fine job on this 'oldie but goodie' John.

Having just had a look through the thread it came to me that there are a couple of minor points regarding the canopy that you may want to consider.

1.  The entire internal framing of the heavier framed canopy/windscreen and rear canopy section was painted in RLM 66 which was a very dark grey.

2.  Depending on your chosen markings you might want to consider finding a photo of your chosen subject to see if the canopy head armour was fitted and whether or not it had the small additional overhead section fitted.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave for the nice words and for the useful info. I've just had another trawl and found this.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Painting.html

I think you were involved in that thread too. The Airfix scheme is the one I'm doing so I tried to follow the instructions with a bit of historic research. ( not enough obviously ) I'm now at a point where re painting the cockpit is out of the question and the inner canopy is done. I might be able to re blast the opening section but the front and rear are in stone. :mellow: I guess it'll have to be a close but no cigar cockpit this time. Great to have all this accurate input though. The kit wants you to put the armour plate in the opening section. I'll have a look on the webs for some info but for now that's the way I'm going.

All the best sir.

Johnny.

[EDIT]

not sure how relevant this is but the scheme I'm doing is this.

28ABBC5A-06AD-40D7-82E4-BF95A808CDA4_zpskci9bwkj

which says 1940 and the list stated that anything before 1941 was RLM02 so maybe I could wangle it? 

Either way way it's all good.

J

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3

Splendiferous 'schmittery in progress Spadders. You sounds like your enjoying yourself and it's great to behold - next question though is where will you put this substantial axis of plastic when its done?^_^

I meant to say btw about some of the daylight shots of your workroom, you get a fantastic natural light in there!

Toodle-oo,

Tony :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Splendiferous 'schmittery in progress Spadders. You sounds like your enjoying yourself and it's great to behold - next question though is where will you put this substantial axis of plastic when its done?^_^

I meant to say btw about some of the daylight shots of your workroom, you get a fantastic natural light in there!

Toodle-oo,

Tony :thumbsup2:

Thanks Tony.

I am indeed loving this one. I was stuck in the sanding/small parts rut for a while there. (you know the one) but seem to have popped out the other side now.  The masking tape is off this morning and the legs are setting in TET as we speak.:yahoo:

As for the sun, yes it passes the whole side of the house during the day letting in a great light. It hits the front cave window first then passes around to the side window by the bench. It's such a great vibe up there early sunrise. I just wish it wasn't so full of sanding dust some mornings. ;)

ooh and as for where she's going, I have an IKEA glass cabinet I bought from eBay for a steal. It'll fit in there, just.  There is a guy on the bay that sells little brackets so you can fit in more shelves too.  The wife works with pictures/  framing and got me some glass cut to size. It's all rather well planned out you know. ;):hobbyhorse:

hopefully youll get some "Barra time" today.

all the best.

Johnny sunrise.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Great work Johnny it really is quite a beast isn't it. Must enquire as to what's next...1/24 Spit for a face off perhaps?

Thanks Tomo. Next I'm doing something a little smaller as a nice relax. Although I do have the 1:24 Hurricane I picked up in the Debhenams sale for £15 she is screaming for attention. ;)

Jont

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks Dave for the nice words and for the useful info. I've just had another trawl and found this.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Painting.html

I think you were involved in that thread too. The Airfix scheme is the one I'm doing so I tried to follow the instructions with a bit of historic research. ( not enough obviously ) I'm now at a point where re painting the cockpit is out of the question and the inner canopy is done. I might be able to re blast the opening section but the front and rear are in stone. :mellow: I guess it'll have to be a close but no cigar cockpit this time. Great to have all this accurate input though. The kit wants you to put the armour plate in the opening section. I'll have a look on the webs for some info but for now that's the way I'm going.

All the best sir.

Johnny.

[EDIT]

not sure how relevant this is but the scheme I'm doing is this.

28ABBC5A-06AD-40D7-82E4-BF95A808CDA4_zps

which says 1940 and the list stated that anything before 1941 was RLM02 so maybe I could wangle it? 

Either way way it's all good.

J

I think you are correct about the internal colour for pre 1941 Luftwaffe types John. Later stuff was painted in the darker colour. I found lots of cockpit pics of the 109 on Google images so you can confirm it readily if needs be. Restored aircraft are often unreliable in this aspect as modern paints are not going to match the wartime stuff. Looking forward to seeing some colour on the airframe soon. Cheers Greg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks guys. Hopefully some more today, although I have a door to hang, a drain cover to fit, chickens to clean out and lunch to make. :frantic: busy lad. :analintruder:

And don`t forget to pick up the elephant droppings too LOL.

Great work on the 109 John, she is looking sweet. :D

Simon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks guys. Hopefully some more today, although I have a door to hang, a drain cover to fit, chickens to clean out and lunch to make. :frantic: busy lad. :analintruder:

Blimey, which version of the 109 had chickens on board??? Now that's attention to detail :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Aye, weekends are busy for the working Dad. Been there done that (still doing it!). Sometimes it feels like I'm bunking off to get some model time :lol: cheers Greg 

• Like 2

Hi John,

Yes, the head armour was fitted to the opening section of the canopy.

One thing I forgot to mention was not to forget the retaining cable and spring at the rear of the canopy that prevents it from travelling too far when in the open position.

You will find an original Messerschmitt drawing on this website which shows how this cable attaches. The drawing is for the earlier, rounded canopy but the spring/cable remained relatively unchanged on 109 canopies. Another thing shown on the drawing is the small cylinder on each side of the rear, fixed section of the canopy. These were part of the canopy jettisoning system and fitted to both types of canopy.

Here’s the link to the website:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4260&p=275254

As far as cockpit colours go, while most E models had their cockpits painted in 02 grey, several brought down over the UK are known to have had their cockpits finished in 66 dark grey. Thus far to date, this ‘anomaly’ has been found by researchers other than myself to be due simply to the sub-contractor which built the airframe (Fieseler, Arado etc) rather than to any officially issued document.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tango98 said:

Hi John,

Yes, the head armour was fitted to the opening section of the canopy.

One thing I forgot to mention was not to forget the retaining cable and spring at the rear of the canopy that prevents it from travelling too far when in the open position.

You will find an original Messerschmitt drawing on this website which shows how this cable attaches. The drawing is for the earlier, rounded canopy but the spring/cable remained relatively unchanged on 109 canopies. Another thing shown on the drawing is the small cylinder on each side of the rear, fixed section of the canopy. These were part of the canopy jettisoning system and fitted to both types of canopy.

Here’s the link to the website:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4260&p=275254

As far as cockpit colours go, while most E models had their cockpits painted in 02 grey, several brought down over the UK are known to have had their cockpits finished in 66 dark grey. Thus far to date, this ‘anomaly’ has been found by researchers other than myself to be due simply to the sub-contractor which built the airframe (Fieseler, Arado etc) rather than to any officially issued document.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the amazing info. The canopy blue print will come in super useful.

thank you so much Dave. :lol:

john

• Like 1

small update BW (Before Wine) we have cut the ends from these old rockets.

33A91425-AAF7-4378-95EB-3CE45CD50CE5_zpsnhpe6tqs

and added here.

B9592371-A751-4332-8652-418B556FDA61_zpsht8obipe

i will scribe where I've drawn tomorrow.

all the inner bits got a quick coat of Tamiya mixed RLM65 before I stick everything down.

The flaps and the prop got sanded after their re jig the other night.

078B8BA9-9F4A-4842-83AC-A1B6381A56CA_zps73myavam

And just as a little WTF to Airfix. I found the aiming sight.

There it is in baby blue. Thanks guys.:clap2:

B90D65C5-7CD6-43BE-A595-E0340AA6DD31_zps8w7slo2y

what were they thinking? Any hoo I'm off for a well earned rest. (And wine)

love you all and Happy Modelling you fine people.

John.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh, after wine you won't put up the sidewinders on your Me109 :thanks:

Just the tips. :frantic:

15 hours ago, tango98 said:

Glad that you found the drawing of use John.

Cheers

Dave

Yes immeasurably. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Sean_M said:

Tim,

Do you intend painting the markings? if so let me know

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean, I'll be using those lovely masks you sent plus the decals from the kit, I als ordered some Swastika decals from the BIG yellow store in the sky for the tail.

Im looking forward to this part quite a bit now.:lol:

thanks everyone one for your time and patients.  Happy modelling people.

ps. Is it wrong I'm thinking about my next build already? :frantic:

• Like 5

Hi John,

this armour plate business is confusing as you know. Some 109Es had one, some had nothing... Bottom line, try and find a picture of your subject, or assume that it had one at one time, etc...

I have looked through my photos and I have got a lot of 9/JG 36 109s' photos, but not the yellow 9... Sod's law, of course...

Beautiful work by the way!

JR

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Ps. Is it wrong I'm thinking about my next build already? :frantic:

OOOHH - that is how I keep ending up with a bigger stash.

Not only am I a beggar for buying 2 of everything (just in case a part is missing or faulty ;))

I also can't help getting one kit - then buying the next one too soon - usually after the first primer is drying on the current project :lol:

• Like 1

On 08/01/2017 at 3:26 PM, jean said:

Hi John,

this armour plate business is confusing as you know. Some 109Es had one, some had nothing... Bottom line, try and find a picture of your subject, or assume that it had one at one time, etc...

I have looked through my photos and I have got a lot of 9/JG 36 109s' photos, but not the yellow 9... Sod's law, of course...

Beautiful work by the way!

JR

Ooh look what I found.

http://www.aviationmuseum.co.uk/109.htm

I think this might be the one? :lol:

also this drawing of yellow 9 has the armour plate in place, plus I really want to paint the comfy looking pad that's attached to it. 

415258E9-2D1C-4079-BD0A-52B2EEDC6E9A_zpstlifmuwq

The only difference with this pic and the box art is that the yellow is slightly further back on the box variant and as mine has the cowl off I'm wanting some yellow in play so I'm going for the box one. :phew:

its a tough old game this plane building lark. :bounce:

jont.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh, after wine you won't put up the sidewinders on your Me109 :thanks:

And there was my thinking it was a post-wine whatif alternative reality Messerchmitt with sidewinders :P Nice detailing Johnny keep it up.

• Like 2

Good find John. I'll see if I can dig out the Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report for it for you.

In the meantime, here's Jaros' interrogation report for you from my files:

15/11/40  Horndon on the Hill, Essex 1410 hrs.  Fw. Otto Jaros, Me 109, 3./JG 26.  Of the mission the pilot said free-lance patrol but it is noted to refer to the previous report by Ofw Schiffbauer (above).  The pilot of this aircraft would not disclose his unit but has the same identity disc and FPN as of the preceding aircraft.  It is probable that, in spite of his assurances to the contrary, he was in fact bombing.  The aircraft came in from the sea, up the Thames Estuary at about 15,000 ft, this pilot saw another Me 109 about 500 ft below him which was being shot up by several Spitfires.  He dived down to help but was shot up from behind by another 4 Spitfires.  His tailplanes and rudder were shot away and the pilot baled out at about 12,000 ft; the aircraft crashed and was burned out.  His Morale is very good.  

Note:  FPN is the abbreviation for Feldpostnummer (field post number).

Cheers

Dave 

• Like 3

Here you go John, the full crashed enemy aircraft report:

Report No. 3/162 

Me 109 Crashed on 15.11.40 at 11.30 hours at Horndon-on-the-Hill, Essex Map Reference: M.1002. Markings: not known. The cause of the crash is presumed to be fighter action. Pilot baled out. Aircraft dived into ground at speed and is almost completely buried. Evidence of M.G.17’s in wings and armament therefore presumably 4 M.G.17’s. Bomb rack for one 250kg bomb traced. Pilot prisoner. No further details possible.

Now you'll have to add the bomb rack eh!.

Cheers

Dave

PS I'll check the Gen. Qu. 6 Abt loss returns but I doubt it will mention anything other than basic loss details.

• Like 3