"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

On 13/11/2016 at 7:25 PM, stever219 said:

AFAIK this kit never had an instrument panel transfer: the dials are on the clear sprue and are inserted into the back of the main panel.  You were (are?) supposed to paint the back of the dials black and highlight any raised details on he fronts in white to represent needles and scales as appropriate.  Sadly it didn't work too well on my first few attempts (Hurricanes) so you might want to go the Airscale route.  I'll be interested to see how you get on as I have one of these just itching to be put together.

Correct. Nightmare!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looks great. Wasn't here for a while Hope you don't mind.

Thanks and no worries. :lol:

6 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

Merry Christmas John.

Wheel bays looking the business :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas to you sir. Thanks, can't wait for primer.

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Those wheel wells really rock John!

Martian

Thanks Mart. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, avro683 said:

Correct. Nightmare!

Tell me about it. Madness I tells ya. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:51 PM, The Spadgent said:

1F3AA159-E2BA-4569-A624-5F27A90B178C_zps

Can anyone point me in the right direction for more info on this specific aircraft - Airfix are unusually sparse on detail - they simply say...

9./Jagdgeschwader 26, Caffiers, France, August 1940

I would be interested to know about specific pilot(s) & the fate of this lovely machine.

Also - considering I have just bought 2 kits - could I reverse the 9 to make a 6???

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for more info on this specific aircraft - Airfix are unusually sparse on detail - they simply say...

9./Jagdgeschwader 26, Caffiers, France, August 1940

I would be interested to know about specific pilot(s) & the fate of this lovely machine.

Also - considering I have just bought 2 kits - could I reverse the 9 to make a 6???

Two kits!! Wow that would be one hell of a double build. :rambo:

The "classic aircraft no.2"  that you will find at the start of this thread has quite a lot of info in it about pilots and flights but I can't find exactly the plane in the kit. (Which is odd) as for a conversion, I'm sure it won't be difficult, different decals and scheme? I'm no expert.

good luck however. I'll be watching your build. Post on here when you start as I'm usually late to new content.

all the best and happy new year.

John.

• Like 1

On a side note, it's been :hmmm: 9 months in the making but the boys Lanc is finally finished. It has appeared across quite a few of my builds but he had a bit of a spurt and got it done. He is very happy with it and keeps breaking off a wheel while zooming it around.

Ladies and Gentlemen. Milo's Lancaster.

its the Revell kit. And apart from me masking the canopy for him he pretty much did the rest on his tod. 

:pilot:

2B434419-EFFC-4DDE-AA7F-E06F064AD9F5_zpsfpdikbq3

96117600-DAF4-4B9B-9C9E-B82A09FE4DFD_zpstsx4drvw

E73660A8-5307-4367-80B6-F9ADA872069C_zpsqyw8tjbe

539EFAC6-A799-4035-B9BD-8CF60A6E232E_zpshxwzuavv

Just noticed he has lost the guns on the front and there's a hole in the top but hey it looks great!! 

Hope you all like it.

John and Milo.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 13

Milo - you have done a fantastic job there - probably better than I could do myself - keep up the good work :)

...now go & put some shoes on :lol:

• Like 1

Evening You lot. Lazy days means time in the cave.:thumbsup: I'm loving this Christmas.

say bye bye to the office. Side on ,lever in place (no seat yet I'll fit that later) I'm closing her up.:lol:

0F2F2CD7-E48A-45E7-94DD-AB3F69B62FD5_zpsez6pgru9

All the little internal parts get added and the tail gets built. Never too many pegs.;)

59B9B0DB-4117-48AE-83DB-50E7FEE6C515_zpsjeef7xyi

Zipping up the halves small sections at a time to avoid Massive join errors.

56DC69A0-93BE-41DB-B1CD-EC7B8AAA7B67_zps6xqauvey

I can leave the rear most section a bit "flappy" to fit the tail later.

the front section is another story, not quite the mummified prowler though.:lol:

5BDDAA30-5C68-456B-96DE-BC6D1360EDF7_zpsi19gjagv

pegs, tape and a bit of brute force never hurt anyone. A quick note to any one about to attempt this kit, BIG X I'm looking at you. When fitting the fuselage together make sure that the tail wheel holing plate has fitted into its little holding pins.

B7029495-2A10-4BC0-B32E-0F7142F3CDC4_zpsm0toobn2

you can just see the fitting bracket inside here on the left, originally it had slipped below the middle section and was sitting below the rear bracket making the plate sit diagonally which would throw off the whole wheel. Luckily I hadn't stitched up the whole rear so I could fit a pair of tweezers in and force it up into the correct central position. I'll paint in there later on.B)

Moving swiftly on the wings got sanded main parts and flaps and we're ready for a dry fit. Guess what?

E9ACB4F2-6966-4BE9-BD73-F96B543A81D3_zpsjmoewqrj

yup! No fitty.:unsure: not to worry I trimmed the plasticard section down and......

8CA7B0C8-9485-4600-8280-A20BBF98BC1F_zps9pcqpr6x

huzzar! Similar action on the other side and we are looking plane shaped.

323577AC-74CD-4A9E-868A-80B3E7363B3A_zpsvbichqqu

Couldn't resist giving her a fly around the cave.

9D8689F8-B2EE-4D0A-8F32-84804F604CA8_zpsjr4wh0ba

bloody huge!!!!!B)

Looking at the dry fit I can't glue the wings in place without fitting the legs. Also I wanted to show off my peg clamp foot.  Held in the crucifix pose to glue the gun steady in place. (Again):lol:

2FA5B06F-627A-4B4E-A51A-5D0F00FDC7E1_zpslsadvjzt

Looks like I need to turn my attention to these.

92341B71-B363-4DBD-BE37-2DDFD9D40620_zpsyfq6ktrq

Im going to fit the front panels to add more yellow to the build as I'm having the nose off, a bit of a shame as it'll hide some of that engine area. The guns and legs need a good tidy up and some other bits and bobs to bring them up to scratch.

the guns got sanded and drilled out but apparently I took no photo so you'll have to take my word for it. :doh: Next the legs.

they both got sanded, this bit was doing my head in, molded into the disc.

9507907E-FA31-4769-AB03-7E5687ED0317_zpskvkdxcac

so out came Dexter......

B8C35D83-BE8F-40D9-81DF-B7AC665197FC_zps2fuo8sfw

I cleaned everything up and glued the angled part back on.

6CD95460-9D98-413E-8111-8F2AF484DAC6_zpsr3tfssoj

similar but In my head better.:lol:

CC148072-D047-4AD5-8561-612B32028FC2_zpstigjkvr4

brake lines fitted and now ready for primer. That's about it for today. I have ordered myself some decals for the tail from the Yellow store too, couldn't resist.

thanks for looking in, it feels like I made a whole heap of progress today. Looking back I forgot to take pics of the wing intakes I tidied, the wheel hubs stuck and the canopy that got trimmed, I'll add them to the next post.

take care you lot and Happy Modelling.

Johnny 

BTW Thanks for all the lovely comments for the boys Lanc affectionately called "Lanno" he's chuffed to bits. :lol:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 5

Given the quality of the work going on here, it is hard to square this with the small amount of time that has passed since the start of this build!

Martian

• Like 2

Very nice!

The "angled bit" is a torque link. Since the lower leg slides up and down inside the upper part, (just like a motorcycle front fork) this bit (actually two parts, one each end to allow it to lengthen as weight is removed from the wheel) stops the lower part from rotating - a job done on a motorbike by trapping the wheel between two sliding pieces so neither can twist.

If the torque link comes apart, the whole wheel assembly will rotate around the gear leg causing the wheel to lock up and the aircraft to swing violently towards that wheel....not fun! (don't ask me how I know....)

Ian

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Its nice to have a lazy time off, taking shape nicely John.

Nice bit on the main U/C mate.

Simon.

Thanks. I'm really enjoying this.:lol:

42 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Given the quality of the work going on here, it is hard to square this with the small amount of time that has passed since the start of this build!

Martian

Thanks Mart. It feels like forever but I'm feeling like it's moving forward now.

23 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Very nice!

The "angled bit" is a torque link. Since the lower leg slides up and down inside the upper part, (just like a motorcycle front fork) this bit (actually two parts, one each end to allow it to lengthen as weight is removed from the wheel) stops the lower part from rotating - a job done on a motorbike by trapping the wheel between two sliding pieces so neither can twist.

If the torque link comes apart, the whole wheel assembly will rotate around the gear leg causing the wheel to lock up and the aircraft to swing violently towards that wheel....not fun! (don't ask me how I know....)

Ian

Well now I know. Glad I chopped it off and glued it back on now. :) I wouldn't like to have been in your situation when that happened.:huh:

Johnny.

It wasn't much fun....but I did (almost) keep it on the runway...I ran out of leg power to keep it straight!  Here's what it looked like...the wheel should be between the leg and the door...

31593131260_523645a190_z.jpg

31157468603_b081ce3f25_z.jpg

The aircraft was a Cessna 402C and it did this on landing!

Ian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

It wasn't much fun....but I did (almost) keep it on the runway...I ran out of leg power to keep it straight!  Here's what it looked like...the wheel should be between the leg and the door...

31593131260_523645a190_z.jpg

31157468603_b081ce3f25_z.jpg

The aircraft was a Cessna 402C and it did this on landing!

Ian

Holy cow!!!! :unsure: