"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

PS not to rain on your parade but, 

I am concerned that the paint will be too 'cured' by the time it comes to chipping, and the solution underneath won't work...

I've always chipped off the top layer with warm water as soon as its dry to the touch. 

Anyone here tried it after a week or so? 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Punctuation
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Thank you for the advice on 3D printing (and scanning) John :).

These are really interesting technologies, something I would very much like to try one day. 

Your multi coloured pre-shade is a work of art in itself. The way you have done the rear fuselage would actually look great 'as is' with the lighter shades, on the late war Me-262's that are sometimes in natural metal finish, but with a puttied look between panel joins.

Im really interested to see how the chipping and weathering turns out, the 'metal' base coat seems extremely logical.

Great stuff ( huge model :o!)!

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony. I'm not going to chip the hell out of it but I wasn't sure exactly where I was going to do it so I just base coated the whole lot. ;)

11 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

PS not to rain on your parade but, 

I am concerned that the paint will be too 'cured' by the time it comes to chipping, and the solution underneath won't work...

I've always chipped off the top layer with warm water as soon as its dry to the touch. 

Anyone here tried it after a week or so? 

Nah it's fine. At least I think it is, I used it on one of my builds, for the life of me I can't remember which one. .... ah the FW 1/72 my first Airfix. That was left for a day or two and chipped fine.

we shall see. :o

J

EDIT.

I read this morning in the tome that for best results you should chip right away. Leaving it to dry fully will make the job harder.:rolleyes:  .......

didnt wanna chip it anyway. :whistle:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

And your mug business? 

Funny,  but while we were talking I had a feeling that my replacement mug was being melted in the dishwasher. I whipped open the door to the DW to save it from a pinkish death. Oh the pain, the pain...

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

As Tony said, looking forward to seeing how this'll come out. Can't wait. It almost has a 3D effect as it is so reckon it'll look the dog's when the top coats are on.

I hope so too. 

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I presume you are going to finish in "McSpadgent" tartan??

Regards,

Adrian

I've run out of tartan paint, ;)

J

ps. I have my likes back. :D

• Like 2

AlexN wrote:

"You learn a new thing every day"

That's so very true. Even now after studying the Bf 109E for over 30 odd years, I'm still coming across stuff in my original Luftwaffe document files that totally debunk many previously held theories!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tango98 said:

That's so very true. Even now after studying the Bf 109E for over 30 odd years, I'm still coming across stuff in my original Luftwaffe document files that totally debunk many previously held theories!

Out of likes but consider it 'liked' in advance. I remember painting all my Bf 109 (and FW 190) cockpits in RLM 02 until not very long ago...

I'm intrigued to see how your McMesserschimtt turns out wi' top coats on, Jont :).

Speakinf of top coats, markings, etc., you should see the old original one in my kit. I'd post a snap here for your viewing amusement. except that I'm tapping away on the iPad and Flickr and the iPad do not mix. At all. Curse them both :rant:. Maybe tomorrow, wot is anuvver day.

Fine work!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Oh, you're using that book for pre shading inspiration! I think it works to great effect, and it sure was nice to see some well "pro" modellers do this kind of crazy-shade as well.

Looking very much forward to the top colors then !

• Like 1

Nice progress, this will look great when done. My two-pennyworth on chipping, do it ASAP as a lot of acrylics seem to cure very quickly! It does very much depend on the paint, AKAN acrylics chip very easily, Revell not so much (ask me how I know)!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sean_M said:

A word of caution. The masks I sent dont pull off Tamiya or Mr Hobby once cured. I have had the Vinyl pull of a decal. Please test the masks before you strip away large parts of the paint work

Fingers & toes crossed here :) Go for it!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments.:)

I managed to get the first paint on tonight. Avoided a slight crisis :blink: and settled in a happy place. :lol: Let me show you what happened. 

I masked off the nose and tail and set about mixing the thinned down RLM65.

967B924B-B832-4CD0-A061-D1D819B5B563_zpsizdji0in

all mixed 30 x thinner 12 x blue 12 x white

I wanted it slightly more washy than usual to allow the pre shade through.

pass one.

D2954142-FDF4-40F3-9FBF-AB7532D7F8A4_zpsf3unve2r

seems to be working well. Pushing on with the next coat.

AA4DD67E-C513-4B52-B9F9-4526B225B5AD_zpswbk7zcsi

it's really subtle but using the thinned paint you can really adjust the colours to how you want them.:) I forgot to take a pic of the first side coat but here is number two.

7F42AD8F-5E74-49ED-8956-89766DA2237B_zpsyymygyod

And the finally number three.

5544B94F-C6C1-407D-A39F-CB4A1A7CB1B5_zpsyzxpcv92

it was here that I decided to have a go at chipping. What a mistakea da makea!:unsure:

luckily for you lot I was flapping so much I didn't get pics. Yes, yes I know you all said that the chipping had to be done right away and guess what? :( well it did work but I found myself scrubbing at the lower wing to get through to the silver underneath and before I knew what was happening I'd made a right pigs ear of it.

so I popped off and made a brew, came back and tidied up the offending area and re sprayed.

7FF5EEED-5133-4E17-A92B-59005D6C6784_zpstneqjtlx

I think I managed to save it.  :guitar:And the chipping has only survived on the leading edge of the wings. I'll do any light chipping with a pencil at the end.:phew: The RLM65 is a little heavier than I would have liked but the subtle shades are coming through which is nice. Here are the full sides. 

F908B23F-29A1-46E4-9835-ABC27417FB17_zpso5me0o73

666D72C5-3607-46E4-86DB-CDD36018958D_zpsdbtm0yfe

I'm happy with that. After the muchos flappos, chippos, nightmareos, I'm calling it a night.:mental: I was kindly sent some masks to use by "Sean_M" They are top notch ones. I've never used masks before but I figured in for a penny.:pilot:as he mentioned above they shouldn't peel off my paint once dry.

4139E8EF-F6D6-4C32-A1E1-88775F418BA7_zpsy2pxw6wd

So she's up and drying. Hopefully we will have more paint tomorrow night.

thanks for indulging my bonkers experiments.

Happy Modelling you lot.

Johnny Chip lack. :giles:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 13

The RLM looks about right density wise to me. As to the chipping......I always try to tell them but does anybody ever listen to me? No, they know it all.......(Tim the Enchanter, Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Martian

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The RLM looks about right density wise to me. As to the chipping......I always try to tell them but does anybody ever listen to me? No, they know it all.......(Tim the Enchanter, Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Martian

"Look at the boooones" :lol:;)

Thanks M.

• Like 2

Great work Jonny :clap2:You are stepping out of your comfort zone with the chipping & it has tried to bite you - but you still have the magic silver pencil in your armoury - so YOU WIN:hobbyhorse:Hi Ho Silver - Away!!!

The pre-shading looks gorgeous - you have inspired me to ditch my rattle cans & take the plunge with airbrushes - Thank you - this forum is truly inspirational!!!

Edited by BIG X
syntax & spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Great work Jonny :clap2:You are stepping out of your comfort zone with the chipping & it has tried to bite you - but you still have the magic silver pencil in your armoury - so YOU WIN:hobbyhorse:Hi Ho Silver - Away!!!

The pre-shading looks gorgeous - you have inspired me to ditch my rattle cans & take the plunge with airbrushes - Thank you - this forum is truly inspirational!!!

Thanks!  I can't sing the praises of airbrushes enough. Since moving over to them a few months ago it's been an amazing learning experience. So many great techniques to try out. 

Go for it, you won't regret it. :pilot:

John

Sorry to hear about the about the fight in the chip-shop McSpadgent, but your care with the paint processes is well worth it from the results you're getting there.

I'm increasingly taken with more modulated approaches to 'layering' of colour effects, and whilst it can be too extreme on smaller scales at times, I reckon at 1/24 this is going to be mucho delicioso to the eye. As to the exploding haggis you're slinging beneath it, have you considered a nice Harris tweed undercoat?:mental:

Looking forwards to the next layer:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Quick question to the BM mass brain.:guitar:

what colour should I do the bomb? I've seen RLM02 and darker. (Not sure the RLM) help me Obi-wan you're my only hope. :pilot:

J

Bombs were mostly RLM 70, but RLM 02, 71 and 66 was also used

• Like 1

Maybe this helps a bit. Photos b/w but I think any of the colors could be used. Your choice:

http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/abwurf.htm

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23291

http://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/index.php/waffenwerkstatt-hauptraum/bomben/sc-250

From the last link at the bottom of the page: " Anfangs wurden die Bomben in dunkelgrauer Farbe lackiert. Ab 1942 wählte man beigegrau für alle Bombentypen. Grundsätzlich waren folgende Abwurfvorrichtungen für die SC 250 geeignet: ETC-500, ETC-501, ETC-502, ETC-2000 sowie das Schloss 2000. "

Dark gray (RAL 6006) and later at 1942 I guess Rlm 02. But personally I would go with RLM 70 ( More contrast on the model)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Nice work, Johnno!

Here's the snap of the original transfer sheet - horrido indeed! Very, very basic, no fuselage frame numbers or nuffin' - well, except for a Werke Nummer(?).

30422738853_eb8807a49d_c.jpg

Horrido indeed - transfer sheet from 1/24 Bf 109 kit by Alex1N, on Flickr

Compare and Contrast with Mr Spadgent's photo of the current boxing's markings sheet:

28ABBC5A-06AD-40D7-82E4-BF95A808CDA4_zps

Let me know if you want me to wipe this post and your wish will be my command!

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a mouldy old sheet of transfers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sorry to hear about the about the fight in the chip-shop McSpadgent, but your care with the paint processes is well worth it from the results you're getting there.

I'm increasingly taken with more modulated approaches to 'layering' of colour effects, and whilst it can be too extreme on smaller scales at times, I reckon at 1/24 this is going to be mucho delicioso to the eye. As to the exploding haggis you're slinging beneath it, have you considered a nice Harris tweed undercoat?:mental:

Looking forwards to the next layer:thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks boss. I could possibly turn said 250kg bomb into a bag pipe. Tartan octopus from above! :giles:

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Bombs were mostly RLM 70, but RLM 02, 71 and 66 was also used

Thanks, Love you guys.

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Maybe this helps a bit. Photos b/w but I think any of the colors could be used. Your choice:

http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/abwurf.htm

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23291

http://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/index.php/waffenwerkstatt-hauptraum/bomben/sc-250

From the last link at the bottom of the page: " Anfangs wurden die Bomben in dunkelgrauer Farbe lackiert. Ab 1942 wählte man beigegrau für alle Bombentypen. Grundsätzlich waren folgende Abwurfvorrichtungen für die SC 250 geeignet: ETC-500, ETC-501, ETC-502, ETC-2000 sowie das Schloss 2000. "

Dark gray (RAL 6006) and later at 1942 I guess Rlm 02. But personally I would go with RLM 70 ( More contrast on the model)

Awsome thanks. :lol:

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

Nice work, Johnno!

Here's the snap of the original transfer sheet - horrido indeed! Very, very basic, no fuselage frame numbers or nuffin' - well, except for a Werke Nummer(?).

30422738853_eb8807a49d_c.jpg

Horrido indeed - transfer sheet from 1/24 Bf 109 kit by Alex1N, on Flickr

Let me know if you want me to wipe this snap and your wish will be my command!

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a mouldy old sheet of transfers

:wow: they are a bit tattered. You have to build this now. Look how much they need some love. (Nudge, nudge););).

Johny bagpipe.

• Like 3