"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

5 minutes ago, jean said:

We are talking nose and rudder +wing tips + other bits and pieces that were not painted yellow in the first half of 1940.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Thanks Jean - most appreciated :thanks:

• Like 1

Hey guys.  Thanks for keeping the thread toasty for me. :) sporadic work today ending in a fair bit of progress. The rack got filled and painted and sanded the engine got masked and yes people she's ready to be primed.

FB38525C-A410-4620-9175-ED4C56096685_zpsh4sv9ref

exciting isn't it. .....:yahoo:

primer on and all is well with the world.

771B181E-2717-47C6-A359-BFE0E9EA1F7F_zps97yqtisl

and the under side.

FD4F89AD-56CA-493F-9150-75E1279718F5_zpsmylkphf3

everything seems to be nice and smooth.:pray::giles:

She's ready for an experiment. :toilet:

32FCF235-9BFE-47BC-AB7E-31A2A80DF986_zpsr3p28hov

Now let me tell you what happend the other day. I saw a book at the LMS it looked pretty cool so I checked a few reviews, a few days later I had this beauty.

43EFF9E3-5E43-4D92-AF46-4BCF7EAABFB6_zpswddzpwnd

now I'm aware that some people don't like to advertise product on our beloved BM but this is the bomb. I have learned so much while reading it, lots of techniques I'd really like to try out. I know I should use a mule but....... sod that let's learn on the job eh?  :cowboy: :pray:

tonight lady's and gents we are going to try the coloured pre shade. Three tone to be precise. First off I spray aluminium for possible chipping later.

506E57B2-41AC-4036-BAC3-7C95295474A1_zpswp8lvs1q

sexy, shiny, shiny. Pitty it's going to be covered.

D1BF9F9C-2FE3-4097-919E-02F8E27F46F3_zpslyf3gfef

after this I used chipping fluid to cover everything for the strip back laterz.

next up is the first colour pre shade. I've decided to do the mid colour of the under side, (mid blue) next will be the darker blue/black then..... the white. :o

8B3F9479-19E8-4A72-AE5F-F7AA16F42C5F_zpsbg6m7rhu

this middle shade is the filler and just under surface variation pass, (streaks etc). The darks will be the deep lines and the whites will be the highlights.

95A73DBA-A15C-4A1D-9104-65C57091AC58_zpsmifhobit

I'm going to have to hold off now till tomorrow. I'm not sure how it'll go but it's going to be fun finding out.

thanks for popping in for a brew.

see y'all tomorrow. 

Happy modelling.

Johnny.

:lol:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 15

Can I suggest that you check any references for the specific aircraft you are building? I know the memory can play tricks but I am not aware of heavily chipped BF109s from this period.

Martian

• Like 4

Hi Johnny,

just to be sure, to be sure, make double sure you are not putting chipping fluid on the non-metallic parts of the airframe....

Any slur to your well known mastery of the dark arts would only be a coincidence!

Impressive through and through.

JR

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Can I suggest that you check any references for the specific aircraft you are building? I know the memory can play tricks but I am not aware of heavily chipped BF109s from this period.

Martian

Don't worry it'll be subtle. Well subtle ish. :wicked:

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Johnny,

just to be sure, to be sure, make double sure you are not putting chipping fluid on the non-metallic parts of the airframe....

Any slur to your well known mastery of the dark arts would only be a coincidence!

Impressive through and through.

JR

Er.. I think so. Which non metallic parts would they be? Just to be sure mind. :blush:

J

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Don't worry it'll be subtle. Well subtle ish. :wicked:

Er.. I think so. Which non metallic parts would they be? Just to be sure mind. :blush:

J

Fabric covered control surfaces?

Martian

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

J

Hi,

the fabric-covered parts are the elevators (moving surfaces only), the rudder, the flaps. Not 100% sure about the ailerons though, so check that one out!

The rest is all metal and cool to chip, but as Martin said, these 109 E had subdued chipping. We are not talking Japanese aircraft in the Pacific...

It's gonna be just great!

JR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Fabric covered control surfaces?

Martian

Right oh! ^_^

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi,

the fabric-covered parts are the elevators (moving surfaces only), the rudder, the flaps. Not 100% sure about the ailerons though, so check that one out!

The rest is all metal and cool to chip, but as Martin said, these 109 E had subdued chipping. We are not talking Japanese aircraft in the Pacific...

It's gonna be just great!

JR

Ok got it. Don't worry. The pic on the front of the book is just for show. That volume is all about painting technique. I'll not be doing anything like that to this here bird.

58 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Yahoo! Painting time :clap2:I admire your adventurous approach to this build John. Good luck with the new techniques, and yes it is exciting. Go Johnny go :pilot:cheers Greg

Thanks Greg.

:)

Tad more done this morning. The different base coats require a different pre shade colour. So we have browns for the nose, blues for the under side and drag grey green for the top.

2FD56033-57B6-4F64-9800-99CCE0A760CB_zpsbpcowmtk

92F4DBFD-CDC6-437E-97AD-95A9A2837877_zpsmjqjwmd9

next up is the whites. I'm doing the middle of panels and high point that I want to pick out. I love this look.:lol:

B469E30B-AB6E-40D1-B896-07443AF719ED_zpsfbimsbml

1827B836-DC35-43EF-9DE3-1D686584CA3D_zps7tds8ruu

hopefully the yellow should really PING on the cowl.

303DF71A-DC0A-4B89-9E15-144E4958ADCE_zps7cu6svvj

hopefully this should work and not look like my previous bruised bananas.;)

last pass is are the dark shades. Basically darkerer versions of the mid tones. In the really deepest panel lines. Almost like an old school pre shade without the faff.

3F5CA1AD-EBFB-4A84-8096-3C4246AA8377_zpszwxrpv82

top.

005F06DF-1BE9-4DD5-B399-30D04B92D68B_zpst8cm9b5y

and bottom. :lol: I'm happy with that.

unfortunatly I'm on dinner duty so that's it for now and we have Sherlock later so base coat next week. Well tomorrow.;)

thanks for dropping by.

take it easy Sunday dwellers.

happy modelling.

Johnny paint pot.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

She’s coming along very nicely John and I look forward to seeing her finished.

Also, and to clarify some queries posted earlier in the thread:

Flaps on all sub-variants of the 109E - were fabric covered as were all other flying  control surfaces.

ETC bomb carrier – some have visible openings on the front face, some do not.

Yellow ID markings – began appearing on 109Es operating over the UK circa early to mid-August 1940, the first units identified as using them being JG 26 and JG 54.

That the 9 and the vertical bar are yellow is simply that they are painted in the 9. Staffel colour, while the vertical bar indicates that the subject aircraft belonged to the III. Gruppe.

The 9 is simply the aircraft Staffel number and has nothing to do with the aircraft belonging to the 9.Staffel.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

I ran out of likes. :doh: but yes I'm looking forward to the tartan underskirt being bathed in RLM goodness too. I have to get some Tamiya pots tomorrow as I don't have the colours. Once again :doh: keep em crossed for me.

Jont

Thank you for the advice on 3D printing (and scanning) John :).

These are really interesting technologies, something I would very much like to try one day. 

Your multi coloured pre-shade is a work of art in itself. The way you have done the rear fuselage would actually look great 'as is' with the lighter shades, on the late war Me-262's that are sometimes in natural metal finish, but with a puttied look between panel joins.

Im really interested to see how the chipping and weathering turns out, the 'metal' base coat seems extremely logical.

Great stuff ( huge model :o!)!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1