"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

14 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

He's going to hang it over the bed in the camper van!

I'm bloody not you know. Up in the cave with the other beasts.:lol:

9 hours ago, AlexN said:

I meant to add that Ioved that little map - an excellent touch :).

A.

Ah bless you. I wasn't sure if it was too much. I saw a build a while ago, Spitfire I think with a teddy bear in the office. It added such a lot.

thanks everyone, I'm glad it seems to be moving forward, next hurdle will be those wheel wells or lack thereof . :blink:

Johnny

• Like 1

Evening gents. :ninja: This week has seen next to zero bench time. Christmas, work and more important family Is demanding my time. I thought I should however post my mini update befor a possible bench visit in the early hours of the weekend.:lol:

I slightly weathered the IP.

6773FF7E-8CE9-4A19-9EE6-E96515992EA3_zpsc9qxotry

and some flory on the sight. ( still needs glass)

the seat pad got peeled off, sanded and primed.

9664D961-6F28-4687-849D-33523B04D88C_zpskpmxrmoa

should look nice with belts, paint and washes. :lol:

The side wall got clamped into place and glued. This is a real pain as it really doesn't fit if you attach it to the floor first, I advise if your doing this build to do it in this order. Oh I managed the wangle the bottle in at last too.

EAB422A9-8E21-4744-B351-423568E48C3E_zpsgrl4djg5

and that is it.:huh: sorry it's not a lot but owt is better than nowt as they say.

gotta dash, more things to take my plastic time away. At least I get to see your fabulous builds while I'm having a dry period.

Thanks for popping in to see me.

more this weekend fingers crossed.

Happy Modelling you lot.

Johnny rushed of his plates.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 7

Excellent work on the cockpit! I have to admit that the title of your thread made me think of the classic Monty Python skit about RAF 'banter' - 'monkeys on the roof dropping tenpennies into the custard' or somesuch.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Scale Aircraft Conversions do a set of undercarriage legs, here: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SAC24005

Martian

Thanks Mart, a little misleading my comment. :o it's not the legs but the whole area in the wing. (The wells) this kit simply has a void. :blink: I'll fix that with some plastic fantastic.:smartass:

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work on the cockpit! I have to admit that the title of your thread made me think of the classic Monty Python skit about RAF 'banter' - 'monkeys on the roof dropping tenpennies into the custard' or somesuch.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason.

" Charlie, tea kettle, BBQ " to quote the young ones. :lol:

its actually a quote from a film Tony Tiger mentioned. "Battle of Britain" I think it was. I had to change the swares though.

• Like 2

:yahoo: yay, got a little bench time this morning. This is the part that gets attention next.

8CEBAB88-A083-487E-8DD3-500FC4596087_zpsgydtiojk

there are a few things I'd like to do. Off the bat I need to reinstate the wells and probably the gun area too. The curved leg tunnel section looks like the biggest chore. I think the main section should be ok, something like this.

2E2F613B-78D2-4DCB-873B-D2B6D8841B5B_zpsqkxf7blt

then cut to shape. I need to think about this. I've seen a few others approach this in different ways. I'll have a ponder. Next and hopefully the final major hurdle will be the wing flaps. The ones on the outer wing are deprecate already.

B70C3D12-3E98-48F0-B126-ED973A460FB8_zpspovy9jqt

but the inner ones are solid. I've seen the inner ones made from a few sections and possibly in one section too? I was going to leave well alone but I know I'll kick myself if I don't add and lower the closer flaps.

9D795F6F-3FB9-4A66-891C-C2828BDDDE50_zpso4pal7jc

The plastic is quite thin and fingers crossed it should go quite smoothly, the hinges won't work on the other flaps but I think the overall look of the final build will benefit. :giles:

i finished off some of the last parts of the pit while thinking about the wings and wells.

D474EEF0-D349-4701-9D06-F0832FC5C6DE_zps3vc3f5hl

the seat got a lick of paint. As did the other bits and bobs.

74E1E75F-2B37-41E6-BC57-101A9E058425_zpsw4yxh48x

if you look closely you can see the scratched glass section of the sight (nerf packet)

F5A7C940-6BFC-4838-A9C5-79315B0384B6_zpsunj5bsb4

the machine gun section got added and the messy guns got a dry fit. For this build the Carpet Monster is in no way feared as all the bits are mahoosive. But as you will see a new foe raised it's ugly head.:blink: while super gluing the seat pad to the chair I fumbled and the pad when flying off into the Carpety ones lair, no worries thought I as I when to find it with not a bead of sweat on my brow. Nowhere to be found was the little padded swine, I moved boxes, the bin, the compressor, alas nothing.:unsure: convinced it had entered the twilight zone I sat on the bed to take the whole room in to see the area from a different angle when I noticed.......

3749182A-201A-4801-A731-A9BC17DA1A33_zpscuggzyvy

:rofl2: yes there it was super glued to my left sock. The cheek of it. :dunce: Prising said item from my stripy left foot I stuck it in place and did a bit of a dry fit.

00634C1D-B96F-4A34-8143-60320AB354EC_zpshjw3ihej

looks pretty good. The IP started to get glued in but I'll leave that for tomorrow's update. Now belts or wings for Sundays secret lemonade drinker?

Thanks for dropping by for a cuppa.

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend.

Happy moddeling chaps.

Johnny sock

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 9

The cockpit is looking very nice indeed, I love the seat pad!

When you come to fit the guns, do so while dry fitting the L shaped panels that fut over them. That was one area I had enormous trouble with when I built this as a kid....of course it could have been down to the fact that I was a kid....

Ian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Impressive work, Johnny, my mate!

Ain't ya a tad tired of always keep on drinkin' the very same brew, bruh? :lol:

Thanks! Funny you should say this. I took a gander at that pic the other day, it was taken on a camping trip ages ago and it's a bottle of Stella, I hate Stella. It must have been just after putting the tent up and nothing else available.

I must change it to something more appropriate. 

Thanks for the nudge unc. :lol:

Johnny

I admire the lengths you're going to to add an authentic odor to the cockpit area John! :sick:

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

there it was super glued to my left sock.

The cheek of it. :dunce: 

Prising said item from my stripy left foot I stuck it in place and did a bit of a dry fit.

• Like 1

From this day on I will always think of your My Left Foot moment whenever I see a 109 cockpit Johnny.:rofl:

That seat pad is beautifully done and matches the superb work on the rest of the cockpit to a T. Plus, as Martin's mentioned, it's now given the 'pit an authentic air of sweat and fear...

Good luck with those wheel enclosures!

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all the positive words. I'll have you know my feet are honk free. Probably.:huh:

Anyway some slight morning progress. I decided to take a "Slice of life" and bring Dexter to the table.:pilot:

261CC3EF-38AB-4F07-8A71-16DD1E8E7F7D_zpsvbljnjfk

the plastic surgery must take place along the dotted line. There are two position pins here but hey who needs those? :guitar:

B78EB374-2315-43ED-816F-C6BA037CBEA1_zpsejsmejyi

and off with their heads. There are a few awekward little bits to cut around but mainly it felt quite straight forward. :speak_cool:

here is the cut wing section fitted into place. I'm deciding whether to use plasticard or milliput to fill and shape.

6F458A85-6429-4290-BC21-851499E762FB_zpslpg9lpv4

while thinking about it the light in the cave looked lovely again. So photo. :offtopic:

room

Sorry.:police: Any hoo I had time to think and decided on the milliput route.

3F0BCDE3-6CD1-4CB8-AB6C-85925D354B6C_zpsftxfrg3d

here she is filled and watered. Pretty good and a good weight too, I hope it glues.:blah: at this point I had to take the red haired wonder. ( the wife ) to the pub for a girly afternoon drinking and Myself to the local mega mall with the kids for some last minute Chrimble shopping. 

Hopefully more, (more) tomorrow. I have the day off to watch the kids which means I might get some lovely bench time. :hobbyhorse: thank you for taking time to view my shenanigans.

see you all tomorrow.

Johnny milliput.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 10

That's coming along nicely John, I think you will be fine with the undercarriage bays. I would probably crash mould the sections for the legs themselves.

Martian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Brilliant work Johnny, that cushion looks dead comfy. Also if your feet are a bit smelly, a light dusting of cellulose thinners tends to neutralise the stench...

Only 100% pure Acetone would do it for me.

Every time I look in you seem to have taken it to the next level :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thank you once again for all the kind words. Alas little was done today, it seems watching the kids actually means not creeping up to the cave.:huh:

I did get to see Rogue one however. :lol:

also a few bits got fiddled with while I got a spare second.

i forgot to mention that the IP didn't quite fit right without the clear part attached, it was too shallow so I sanded the detail off, peeled off the plasticard and glued everything together.

517A1EEC-8754-4CEC-938E-7F612C396C11_zps4islwals

671B5CFF-318F-4BC6-84C4-30AA8BD0E93F_zps5gu9y4qd

planet of the apes anyone.:huh:

I did try yesterday to mold the curved wheel well from some left over milliput after what Martian pointed out about crash molding. I layed it over a paint brush and let it dry. I peeled it off today, it was a bit rough.:hmmm:

A2441164-53C5-4569-BD0C-708014CFACA9_zpswqpba3ul

so I tried out this tonight while making dinner.

8FF4E789-CD5C-4DC7-BAAD-FB58280D3615_zpslcwdkitk

plasticard wrapped around a chopstick plunged into boiling hot water.:lol:

1442A315-CE28-481D-84E0-320DD5F4BB92_zpshbw3e9wf

let it cool and Shazam! Not bad.:lol: thinking about it I should have cut out detail first but hey I'll see how it goes.

not much again but Slow progress is still progress. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it. Work tomorrow and office partiy on Thursday means not much plastic but we shall see.

Thanks for your time. Happy Modelling you lot.

Johnny Chopstick

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:12 AM, The Spadgent said:

I must change it to something more appropriate. 

Thanks for the nudge unc. :lol:

Hahaha... :lol: Well, Johhny, should ya change the brew, then me hopes that it's exactly the same pose in yer current avatar. That's a cool one; always gives me the giggles every time I look at it. Hell, perhaps I should change my avatar for sumthin' like yers, but havin' a local brew.  

• Like 1