"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

Well hello there and welcome to my latest endevour.

"The Airfix Messerschmitt 109-e 1/24"

This will be my biggest and first build at 1/24 Scale, I plan to scratch some stuff together as I want to be able to take The cowl off and expose the engine. It's a lovely looking kit to go with a lovely looking subject. I bought this while having a few swift halves on a caravaning trip to the new forest, Ebay special £19 :yahoo:

I had planned to build it OOB only using scratch additions but that has gone out of the window already.:blush: I hope you will follow me on a bit of a bumpy ride through a wonderfully large model that I have wanted to build since I was about four years old.:wicked:

Oh by the way the Title "yellow nosed b*stards six o'clock high" Is a movie quote from "The battle of Britain" 1969 shared to me by the wonderful TonyTiger. It referes to the yellow paintwork on the planes nose. There is a definate custard theme running through a lot of my builds of late. :whistle:

If you're all sitting comfortably then I shall begin. 

The obligatory box.

1F3AA159-E2BA-4569-A624-5F27A90B178C_zpswrrqq7zm

And the sprews

DD6F4ECD-069A-4FCE-A253-29BB95104F96_zpskb3geqry

these are really quite crisp for an old kit.

B3A47D2D-E808-447F-98D7-C28908294C27_zpsbshmr5an

aaaaand a big pile of stuff that fell off in the bag:doh:

D128326F-4637-4D9C-81E9-3173BF80772E_zpsrqkcvafj

I think this must happen a lot with these large kits?

the cartograph decals look smashing although I'm missing a Swastika from the tail and an IP ? what? why ?:(

40DD17C8-FA99-4240-A335-E5C1C73737F7_zpsxds2ggzf

I'll be going for this scheme I think but who knows what might happen?:lol:

the clear parts are divine.:Tasty:

8FCEEB2D-53CC-4B2F-A996-7775988C4174_zpsoxzcy7lw

well the canopies are, although looking at the pic the gates look rather large.:clown:

any way on with the build. The engine is first up........ oh befor I do start I bought a ref book, my first ever ref book, rather nerdy of me, here it is.

5E1F9F2C-C44D-4764-A15E-B40778F2A5B0_zpsigsz2qbu

Can anyone see what might be wrong with it?:fish:

any way back to that Engine.....

5CF01810-869E-4C6E-B047-8A8EC39EE44A_zps1k9wld9b

a few bits of flash and a bit of sanding.

7B435815-68C8-4980-8B14-87B71B8667AD_zpsopq8vuba

but as dry fits go its pretty good. ( sorry Tony no electronic spinning I'm afraid ):rambo:

the top got some sanding as it had some weird crease lines.

F251CD04-EDEB-43A7-B708-196C6519EFC7_zpsyphjtrgi

then glued.

968CA959-CD78-4AB2-AD60-77E13785BFC1_zpsqcsj0g1b

The details aren't bad. I'll add more but I'm impressed. The pipe on the join in the top left of the pic will ge fettled to just work rather than sanding the whole thing off.

more parts dry fitted.

100B7D64-CA6C-47E5-BBB5-9A2C2799CB01_zpsmd0n9j2n

and some rather iffy looking sink holes. :dunce: where's my Mr Surfacer gone?  aaah good old filling I've missed you.:whip:

1487296C-0BF7-4124-A5A1-42DC58969139_zpsbnwhoh2h

And that as they say is where we are. Hopefully I'll get some more time in the morning but I do have an Ivy to fight back.:cowboy:

Take it easy and happy Telford to one and all.

Happy modelling.

Johnny BIG nose.:yikes:

Edited by The Spadgent
Removing the rudeys from the title. I know... but we're a no swearing board :)
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

You certainly ain't messing around! Straight onto the next...

Ps do you have shares in airfix what with all these recent WIP's 😂

Really no. I only built Tamiya when I started on BM. Then a friend of mine bought me a FW 190 for my last Birthday and I never looked back. 

Jont

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

I think I'll get me in here. A classic one, which was always out of range for me as a kid. And I always loved to watch these boxarts and old catalogues ( still doing it after all these years).

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/major-setback/media/0_4fc76_da8a8456_orig.jpg.html

000049.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 7

Hello Johnny Emil!

Have I managed to get a second row seat? I ran over from the Seafire as quickly as I could, but the touch of Spanish Mange is slowing me down a bit :clif: .

Im glad the quote came in useful, it's pretty memorable, as is the whole film; what a stellar cast. No computer graphic effects either :) .

Have you gone and bought yourself a reference book on the F/G John? I'm no expert but those spinners look more like later marques to me. 

If so, never mind, you can do an F or G later. Perhaps Hans Joachim Marseille? Desert sand and......yellow :heart: .

No worries about the motor. I think when I get going I'm going to motorise  something. Off topic; but a new engine is on the cards for my recent car purchase already :S (rear oil seal is gone). That will be the first thing I motorise :D !

Back on topic that Daimler-Benz V 12 is coming along nicely. They've obviously re-made the kit in more modern plastic. It looks a bit more forgiving.

Have fun, we will watching :) !

:popcorn::beer: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 3

A 109 dipped in custard. Had to be a Spadgent build from the title alone! :D

Sticking a second pot of tea on and getting the slippers out from under the stove for this one. An exposed engine? It'll be a flash of ankle next! :o

You're already off to a Le Mans start so I'll tuck into the slipstream and watch this beauty develop. Very best o' luck!

Tony

• Like 2

Nnnneeeeeeooooowwwwwww,takka-takka-takka,ha-har,I'll slide my posterior into a pew near the front whilst

all the usual suspects are rustling the pound notes over at Telford.

You watch 'em tommozza,they'll all be whinging and whining about how their bank balances have taken a hard knock,the rotters:D.

Always liked a proper "Yellow nosed bahstud"(like the early G's too),so looking for a minter here Johnster;)

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 4

Thanks everyone. No pressure then.;) This ones going to be great. I'm still wrestling with the largest Ivy bush in the world at the front of the house so I'm not sure how much plastic will get fettled today but.. yes Tony Tiger you are correct.

25AE06C9-87E9-4BB9-8D7B-19D309AE47FF_zpssfrdcfu7

I gone done bought the wrong book. It's a ruddy nice one though, I wish they did one for the Emil. I'm such a plonker.:hobbyhorse:

john.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I gone done bought the wrong book. It's a ruddy nice one though, I wish they did one for the Emil. I'm such a plonker.:hobbyhorse:

john.

As I know they did one and I think you can find online as a pdf or a normal book.: https://de.scribd.com/document/195020822/Mushroom-Yellow-Series-6102-Messerschmitt-Bf-109E

16 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

• Like 1

I'll grab a seat while there's still one available!

I built this as a kid and had horrible problems fitting the rear cowlings over the gun breaches. I think I had to sand most of the breaches off and glue the rear "L" shaped cowlings in place.....

They don't supply Swastikas anymore - they're not even shown on the box art. Something to do with selling them in Germany I believe....I know that Xtradecals and Aeromaster do sets which should have the correct size.

I'm sure Airfix will send a replacement IP decal if you contact them...or you could splash out on the really nice Airscale upgrade....

Ian

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

As I know they did one and I think you can find online as a pdf or a normal book.: https://de.scribd.com/document/195020822/Mushroom-Yellow-Series-6102-Messerschmitt-Bf-109E

oooh lovely. It's hard to come by though and VERY expensive. I might go for the PDF. Thanks for digging it out though. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I'll grab a seat while there's still one available!

I built this as a kid and had horrible problems fitting the rear cowlings over the gun breaches. I think I had to sand most of the breaches off and glue the rear "L" shaped cowlings in place.....

They don't supply Swastikas anymore - they're not even shown on the box art. Something to do with selling them in Germany I believe....I know that Xtradecals and Aeromaster do sets which should have the correct size.

I'm sure Airfix will send a replacement IP decal if you contact them...or you could splash out on the really nice Airscale upgrade....

Ian

Thanks for the info, It's nice to have you along. :lol: It's not the fact the IP is missing, there isn't one:huh:

Not to worry though I think I have a guardian angel. :D

John

• Like 1

Doh! It looks as though the name of my build was a bit much for BM. :( I redacted it and everything. :unsure:

"I guess dems da rules." But just in case an overseer is looking in can you please change the title to "Baskets" instead of "beggars" please? :pray:

Thanks. If not never mind.:smartass:

Johnny potty mouth.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

I think I'll get me in here. A classic one, which was always out of range for me as a kid. And I always loved to watch these boxarts and old catalogues ( still doing it after all these years).

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/major-setback/media/0_4fc76_da8a8456_orig.jpg.html

000049.jpg

I also recommend this one John. It was published with (by?) Airfix at around the time your kit was released, very much as an accompanying book.

Im not sure if this is expensive but I found it in Abebooks here. Books are traditionally a fair bit more expensive here in Oz, so this doesn't seem too bad

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19143571777&searchurl=kn%3DBf%2B109%2BE%26sortby%3D17

If you go back to your very first post in the thread, you should be able to edit the title. Probably best to check with a mod first, but I don't think 'basket' will cause anyone umbridge :shrug: ?

What decal option/Geschwader do they give you in the kit John? I know there are a few 'Aircraft of the Aces' type books that focus right down to that level. They  can be bought for about £6.00 including postage :) .

I love aviation books, especially ones with lots of pictures :D  :book: .

All the best

TonyT

• Like 3

AFAIK this kit never had an instrument panel transfer: the dials are on the clear sprue and are inserted into the back of the main panel.  You were (are?) supposed to paint the back of the dials black and highlight any raised details on he fronts in white to represent needles and scales as appropriate.  Sadly it didn't work too well on my first few attempts (Hurricanes) so you might want to go the Airscale route.  I'll be interested to see how you get on as I have one of these just itching to be put together.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, stever219 said:

AFAIK this kit never had an instrument panel transfer: the dials are on the clear sprue and are inserted into the back of the main panel.  You were (are?) supposed to paint the back of the dials black and highlight any raised details on he fronts in white to represent needles and scales as appropriate.  Sadly it didn't work too well on my first few attempts (Hurricanes) so you might want to go the Airscale route.  I'll be interested to see how you get on as I have one of these just itching to be put together.

I have heard of this alas in my kit the clear dials are totally flat. there is a domed one but other than that it's pancake time. :o

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I also recommend this one John. It was published with (by?) Airfix at around the time your kit was released, very much as an accompanying book.

Im not sure if this is expensive but I found it in Abebooks here. Books are traditionally a fair bit more expensive here in Oz, so this doesn't seem too bad

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19143571777&searchurl=kn%3DBf%2B109%2BE%26sortby%3D17

If you go back to your very first post in the thread, you should be able to edit the title. Probably best to check with a mod first, but I don't think 'basket' will cause anyone umbridge :shrug: ?

What decal option/Geschwader do they give you in the kit John? I know there are a few 'Aircraft of the Aces' type books that focus right down to that level. They  can be bought for about £6.00 including postage :) .

I love aviation books, especially ones with lots of pictures :D  :book: .

All the best

TonyT

Thanks Tony.

I have printed off some pics from the net that might help me out. If I get stuck I might get that book, thanks for the title hint. :) The one and only scene in the kit is. 9./jagdgeschwander 26, Caffiers,France,August 1940

its pretty nice for this size kit and gives me an opportunity to do a bit of chipping. ;)

Jont

Pop!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Er, G'day!

On 13/11/2016 at 08:29, bbudde said:

That's the Airfix book that I had. Gone, sadly, along with the excellent Kookaburra booklets on the Me 262 and FW 190 :(. 'Twas a very good book, with lots and lots of useful photos. Well worth getting it if you can track one down, although probably at egregiously gouging prices. And no doubt there are are other books and internet walkarounds (in colour ;)) with similarly useful photots therein. I just have an emotional/nostalgic attachment to that book.

'Nice' to see that Airfix's trademark sink-holes and plastic swirls are still in eveidence. Have fun with the filler ;).

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Thank you.

I have just downloaded the app. It's actually really good. :lol: you're a star! 

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2