Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

2 minutes ago, The_Lancaster said:

Well if we look at the defiant,  this could make way for a 48th next year and if we look at just about every other new kit airfix do, the versions that will come out next year will possibly please more.

but well done airfix! Certainly doing an excellent job!

Hmmn you mean like the Swift to 48th scale or the Javelin and Sea Vixen to 72nd, don't count on a quick turn around, I think they find it easier and cheaper to do with WW2 prop jobs than cold war jets, when scaling up or down.

6 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Well, it's amazing how quickly my joy evaporated. £25? I'm out.

Compared to £25 + Postage on ebay for a 20 year old mould from Fujimi with blind intakes and no wing flap or fold options I am definately IN!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I think I'll be having one of these when it appears despite having some Fujimi's in the stash.

Soo, colour options? 892 NAS and which RAF Squadron, 43 or 111?

Mike.

I forgot the 111 flew it as well.  At least three for my stash then!

The FG.1 served with 700P, 767, and 892 squadrons in the FAA, and 43 and 111 squadrons in the RAF. 

There were also a couple of training/ conversion units at Leuchars that respectively disappeared once 892 squadron disbanded and 43 squadron formed.

Airfix could theoretically include markings for them all but I suspect they'll offer 2 or 3 options.

48 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Now imagine a Refuelling set for the Victor and some 111 and 43 squadron decals for the Phantom FG.1.  Add this to a set of late decals for the Lightning F.6 and you would have an amazing inflight refuelling diorama.

A somewhere over the North Sea circa 1984 box set.:)

But for Gawd's sake let the Lightning re-fuel first!

• Like 8

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

But for Gawd's sake let the Lightning re-fuel first!

I did hear tell that Lightnings ALWAYS got to jump the que!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Well, it's amazing how quickly my joy evaporated. £25? I'm out.

Not sure how you expect them to make such a detailed modern kit cheaper than the competition in the form of the old much simpler Fujimi one, or (if benchmarked against other Phantom variants), the more recent Academy kits.

• Like 2

At Phantom..ing last!!!   Its one so many of us have been hoping for and it seems reality is here !Like many others plenty of digging up those Modeldecals sets and eagerly looking forward to new sets most probably from Xtradecals.  

As for the price I'd say quite fair when compared to some and of what will be in the box! Hasn't put me off.

4 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I did hear tell that Lightnings ALWAYS got to jump the que!

Yeah, they tended to go fuel critical about 8 seconds after blast-off.

(But holy moley, what a ride it must've been!)

• Like 1

Hurrah! Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh tomorrow.

I must confess I'm not very knowledgeable about the Phantom, would an FGR2 be a straightforward conversion? Fancy a camo RAF machine after the FAA one...

As I don't do jets I certainly won't be buying this. Having said that all kit manufacturers should have a Phantom in their range because it is just one of those aircraft that lots of people would want.

Actually having thought about it a bit more I might get one, but only because I always liked Phantoms in RN colours. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

The FG.1 served with 700P, 767, and 892 squadrons in the FAA, and 43 and 111 squadrons in the RAF. 

There were also a couple of training/ conversion units at Leuchars that respectively disappeared once 892 squadron disbanded and 43 squadron formed.

Airfix could theoretically include markings for them all but I suspect they'll offer 2 or 3 options.

Ant 43 sqdn formed with the aircraft that were ordered and earmarked for 899 sqdn on Eagle, 111 reformed with the ex 892 aircraft AFAIK

• Like 1

I see this morning that Airfix have answered many prayers & the back end of next year will see the release of a brand new tool F4 and a UK one to boot! In 1:72 which admittedly is not everyone's scale (me included) it should help to keep the price down - so you can build more of 'em!

I am, I have to say, pretty excited about this, I see a shelf full of different options with possible another shelf below, and maybe another one...........

So in advance, and maybe a tadge prematurely, thank you Airfix!

:mike:

8 minutes ago, Geoff_B said:

Ant 43 sqdn formed with the aircraft that were ordered and earmarked for 899 sqdn on Eagle, 111 reformed with the ex 892 aircraft AFAIK

Yup the Tremblers originally formed on FGR.2's.

I'll be getting at least 4 of these - one each for 43 and 111 in DG/DSG/LAG and 43 and 111 in the light grey schemes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but for an FGR.2 you'd need a different nose undercarriage leg without the extension, different sabilators without the slots, a new nose undercarriage door without the approach lights and fixed inner wing slat - anything else I've missed?

Just now, Vulcanicity said:

I must confess I'm not very knowledgeable about the Phantom, would an FGR2 be a straightforward conversion? Fancy a camo RAF machine after the FAA one...

Some RAF squadrons (111 and 43) did use surplus FAA FG1 aircraft, which would originally have been in camo.

For the FGR2 you'll need unslotted stabilator, and no catapult spools.

Other details like the FG1 is not cannon pod or recce compatible, whereas the FGR2 is, and the FG1 can have that overlong nose leg extension for carrier launch.

I'd guess that an FGR2 will be along about 6 months after the FG1 is released - and can't wait!

• Like 4