Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

This will probably come across as negative, though not meant to be - I just wish that this was going to be in 48th.

I too have a stash of Fujimi Brit Phantoms, to my mind they are not in desperate need of replacing, not as much as the Hasegawa 48th.

Having said that it looks a phab kit, nice to see details like the separate leading edge flaps and open radome.

• Like 2

• Julien locked and locked this topic

Lovely stuff, 1/72 is great to start with, but I'm sure a 1/48 kit will follow on.  

Since I'll be retired by the time this comes out it looks like this and the Takom FV432 announced elsewhere will be my modelling buys for 2017!

Its proof of one of two things, maybe both.

Firstly nagging does work.

Or is it the power of prayer, mine from the airfix phantom thread

Our Phantom who art in Hannants

Airfix be thou name

Thy stash be done

Thy will be done

in cammo as it is in heaven

Give us this year our annual demand

and forgive us our rantings

As we forgive you for not doing one before

and lead us not unto ebay

but deliver us from bidding

For thine is the FGR2

the Spey, the Alcock and Brown

Forever the best

Airfix

• Like 16

Fantastico.  Just what I was hoping for.  First the Victor and now this.  Seems Airfix do read this site after all.  Can't wait to get my hands on a couple. 892 sqn and, hopefully, 43sqn.  I'm sure there'll be an FGR.2 release in the future too.  I was beginning to fear that none of the new announcements were for me as they are the wrong scale or not my preferred area so now I'm dead chuffed.  If they release a new Buccaneer to go with it then all power to their elbow.

• Like 3

Now imagine a Refuelling set for the Victor and some 111 and 43 squadron decals for the Phantom FG.1.  Add this to a set of late decals for the Lightning F.6 and you would have an amazing inflight refuelling diorama.

A somewhere over the North Sea circa 1984 box set.:)

• Like 7

I think I'll be having one of these when it appears despite having some Fujimi's in the stash.

Soo, colour options? 892 NAS and which RAF Squadron, 43 or 111?

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 2

Please let us celebrate this thread that airfix are giving us a new tool Spey Phantom. Lets keep the it should have been 1:xx scale, it should have been an F-4XX at bay. A has been mentioned if it sells well you never know what Airfix might roll out.

Julien

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:
8 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I think I'll be having one of these when it appears despite having some Fujimi's in the stash.

Soo, colour options? 892 NAS and which RAF Squadron, 43 or 111?

Mike.

I think they possibly ophantom vercooked the rhetoric slightly with their line about making international waves, or whatever it was, because I don't think many people outside the UK care much about Spey Phantoms. But it will certainly do fine here

Hopefully it will be 767 sqdn, 892 sqdn  and possibly 43 sqdn.

The RAM decals set will be handy for doing the first few aircraft  before they got to the Squadrons and Tony Martins Airdoc vol 1 might need a reprint for next year :-)

Just now, Geoff_B said:

Hopefully it will be 767 sqdn, 892 sqdn  and possibly 43 sqdn.

The RAM decals set will be handy for doing the first few aircraft  before they got to the Squadrons and Tony Martins Airdoc vol 1 might need a reprint for next year :-)

767 NAS is on the RAM sheet and a little thought will FGR.2 an FG.1 at this scale.

I would think that an FGR.2 is not far away...

1 hour ago, grahamwalker said:

..........., how about a nice HMS ARK ROYAL IV to go  with them eh

I'm putting together the data and requirements to s/b her in 1:144 scale, to display my 1:144 phantoms and buccaneers on, but 1:72 scale?  no way! :analintruder:

I will certainly be getting some of these 1:72 scale ones though, I missed out when the Matchbox ones were around, and I have a whole year to decide which ones to build.  Should be plenty of time for someone to bring out some good decal sets for them.

Mike

At 1/72 that's 3402.7mm long, 722.2 wide as she was in 1978.

That would be some box!  :blink:

Trumpeter 1/72 R09.  May start a Rumourmonger thread! LOL

• Like 1

Well if we look at the defiant,  this could make way for a 48th next year and if we look at just about every other new kit airfix do, the versions that will come out next year will possibly please more.

but well done airfix! Certainly doing an excellent job!

• Like 2