Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

Why making another (1/72) Typhoon when an nice british Phantom are almost non existent? I would go for an FG.1/FGR.2 if it was available.

I already got the other F-4 Phantom's frpm Hasegava, Fujimi, Esci, Italeri and Revell. For sure there must be other better and typical Brittish aircraft to make for Airfix then put the money on an new Typhoon? As said before, we want an new Buccaneer and what about the ever more missing Sciimitar?

/ André B.

• Like 1

Because more kids will recognise a Typhoon, Tornado or Lightning II than a Phantom II. One thing we need is more fresh blood in the hobby!

Just have a picture of a bombed up Phantom hurtling towards you at zero feet with lots of bangs and flashes and they would fly off the shelves.

Trevor

• Like 1

Just have a picture of a bombed up Phantom hurtling towards you at zero feet with lots of bangs and flashes and they would fly off the shelves.

Trevor

Insert 'any other plane' and it's the same.

The Phantom just isn't #1 for the modern generation.

Just as the Shackleton is getting a big thumbs up from certain groupies so would a new phantom, however the kids will see it differently"...that's not a Lancaster/Typhoon/Hercules/Spitfire*..."

*insert what's currently on the TV...and it ain't F-4s

Edited by dpm1did1

Why making another (1/72) Typhoon when an nice british Phantom are almost non existent? I would go for an FG.1/FGR.2 if it was available.

I already got the other F-4 Phantom's frpm Hasegava, Fujimi, Esci, Italeri and Revell. For sure there must be other better and typical Brittish aircraft to make for Airfix then put the money on an new Typhoon? As said before, we want an new Buccaneer and what about the ever more missing Sciimitar?

/ André B.

If anything, the Phantom is a very popular modelling subject. Practically all of the major kit brands such as the ones you've mentioned have one in their range not to mention Academy and I wouldn't be surprised if Tamiya announce a new Phantom tooling some time in the future.

...and yes I welcome a nice British Phantom as well.

Edited by Knight_Flyer

Well, yes there are still lots of reading about the Phantom. And you see Phantoms at museums all over the world. It had to be a Starfighter or an Sabre to se an aircraft that had done that much service in that many countries. Just look at the decals of the old Airfix Phantom - US Navy, US Air Force, Israel...

I don't think young kids think that much about what kind of aircraft they build. I took a look at what kits sells well in "my shop". And the kit that sells mostly was the Red Arrows Hawk? Why, probably because it looks nice in red, white and blue and does not look like an warplane. The same thing goes for the P-51D Mustang. Why? Because it has "shark teeths" on it. Compared to that Typhoon is another raher boring grey aircraft.

And the F-4 Phantom is for sure wanted in British markings. Yes, why did Academy chose to make an F-4 Phantom as their last kit? And Revell also keeping on reissue their F-4 Pantom (probably the best to get today)...

/André B.

Edited by Andre B

for a January 16 release, that said I have the same opinion reference a Victor, if I was in their Sales/marketing department I'd be asking why that isn't on the cards for January as well.

From a business point of view they could release a new Buccaneer and Victor as part of a limited edition gulf war set along with a Tornado GR1, lets be honest they could price it at £60 and we'd all buy it, take the two new kits that we're desperate for and throw the tornado away!! Why do it - cos it gets rid of the old stock of the old tornado mould which then allows them to start work on a long overdue retool without loosing any money!!

I fully agree that Airfix should celebrate historical events, and as Wildenrath Phantoms were carrying Q duties in Akrotiri during GW1 (the Dolphins dropped one in the Med I seem to remember), I reckon it a travesty if Airfix do not produce a 'Toom very soon.

It could all go pear shaped if Revell pulled a fast one and extended their non-US fantom family - a missed opportunity to close off the European market at least.

But as with their Hunter I doubt it will be happen as they have seen to have interest in cornering that particular niche .

Edited by dpm1did1

It could all go pear shaped if Revell pulled a fast one and extended their non-US fantom family - a missed opportunity to close off the European market at least.

Yes, but their Phantoms suck.

yes - mostly. They should better rebox Hasegawa kits as they did with the 1:48 Spey Phantom. Sadly they never reboxed the 1:72 Hasegawa F-4 (the newer tool). When I look at how old their F-4 molds are I wonder if they would not better cut new ones...

With no explanation why I note.

Then isn't it strange how highly their 72nd F-4F is regarded, even here in BM making this a very generalised anti-Revell statement.

There 1/32 may well be outclassed by the Tamiya but I suggest that these big, expensive kits (£110 at Hannants) aren't the lifeblood of the modelling game otherwise there would be a flood of large scale kits rather than the slow trickle of new releases.

The Hasegawa and Fujimi kits are currently irrelevant to most UK modellers, as are moat of their kits that rarely see the highstreet outlets. It's pointless telling a casual modeller to order from HLJ, and many would also prefer ro get their hands on a box prior to ordering from Hannants. If the online world were the only option for non-exotica then the hobby would be driving itself in to extinct.

It's already been noted that a UK Phantom would need a virtually complete new mould from a US spec airframe such as the F-4F so a new Revell tool would be required anyway. To simply dismiss the possibility and because there is a personal dislike of Revell in general, or their current F-4F is therefore irrelevent and distinctly unhelpful.

To be fair you should also state that Airfix Phantoms suck too because as they currently stand they are very outdated.

Edited by dpm1did1

Harrier GR7/9?

More to the point where are the 1st Gen 2 seaters.

I'm not a particular Harrier lover, especially of the later vars, but I do think a T4 with a LRMTS nose and extended tail would be a very nice addition.

...in 72nd as i will need the space for my B-66

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

Revell's F-4F and RF-4E kits may be very nice in terms of details and mould quality but also suffer from accuracy issues. The main problem is that the canopies are too squashed and the whole fuselage area below them does not look right. The canopy issue can be reduced by leaving these open but the Hasegawa kits simply look better.

As usual in this kind of discussions, modellers may or not be bothered by such aspects, personally I find this error quite annoying and surprising as the Phantom is well known and there are plenty of real ones in Germany and other countries

• Like 2

As usual in this kind of discussions, modellers may or not be bothered by such aspects, personally I find this error quite annoying and surprising as the Phantom is well known and there are plenty of real ones in Germany and other countries

TBH, I wasn't bothered as I'd never actually noticed. I will now & will probably be annoyed too...!!! :D

• Like 2

Maybe a Phantom but nearly for sure a Sea Fury... Scale? See here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990639-duxford-sea-fury-lidar-scanned/#entry2140054

21716531944_8fa6b66c97_b.jpg

Just one intriguing detail, info/picture concerning LIDAR use at Duxford in the Airfix Facebook is dated from the October 6th (https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270.112940.65102591270/10153597752531271/?type=3&theater) while the "Sea Fury under LIDAR" picture is reported to be from October 20th, 2015 ( http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?133294-Duxford-Diary-(2015)&p=2266521#post2266521)...

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1