Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

11 minutes ago, alpine_modeller said:

Not quite, I managed to acquire a single example before Geoff_B hoovered them up.

I got most of mine direct from Japan when the exchange rate was better over a few years

• Like 1

Have I missed the post that "looks forward" to the release in 1/24 and a Scimitar to join it, yet???

A revisit to my thoughts on the price - when you consider the folded wings, flaps & slats, yeah, I think £25 is ok

• Like 1

And to think I thought I was being greedy with 8 Fujumi UK Phantoms in the loft.

Well it should be easy enough to convert an FG.1 into an FGR.2 - nice and simple. I hope the kit comes with a choice of fin tops - standard and RWR.

I picked up most of mine second hand - I don't think I paid over a tenner for any of them.

Well, looking at some of the comments on here and on Facebook, it really seems that some are never satisfied. I would have liked a 1:48, but I aint gonna sulk about it like some are.

Its clear from the bumpf of the release that Airfix view this as a FAA release. Therefore the main decal option will be 892 NAS. Assuming 3 options, I guess 767 NAS and 43 OR 111 will be the others, But its just a guess. Seems sad and almost underlining one of the saddest moments in UK defence history to witness people more excited about 43 and 111 squadron options. But hey-ho - each to his own...

And those wanting an FGR2 should be patient; certainly one will be along before the end of 2018, just like a Shackleton AEW2 is imminent (unless Revell have really made this proposition unattractive, in which case it will be later)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Not sure how you expect them to make such a detailed modern kit cheaper than the competition in the form of the old much simpler Fujimi one, or (if benchmarked against other Phantom variants), the more recent Academy kits.

Revell seem to manage it for the most part.

I suppose I'm just going to have to accept that I'm being priced out of the hobby.

• Like 1

a question for the phantom experts here: what were the ordnance they used? I know the Matra Pods, the gun pod, some freefall (1000lb?) bombs, what else, beside the Sidewinder and Skyflash?

Alex

More: http://imodeler.com/2016/11/scale-modelworld-news-from-airfix/

editor-161112-5826f6be67a9e.jpeg

editor-161112-5826f7235f746.jpeg

editor-161112-5826f7241692c.jpeg

editor-161112-5826f724ddbe4.jpeg

editor-161112-5826f7259194d.jpeg

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/stop-press-new-tooling-announcement-for-the-scale-modelworld-show/

STOP PRESS New Tooling Announcement for the Scale ModelWorld Show

Date: 12/11/2016

STOP PRESS New Tooling Announcement for the Scale ModelWorld Show

The annual IPMS Scale ModelWorld Show at Telford is one of the undoubted highlights of the modelling calendar and certainly something the Airfix team look forward to each year. With some of Britain’s most talented modellers showcasing their skills at the Telford International Centre during the weekend of the show, visitors will be looking forward to indulging their passion for modelling and probably picking up a kit or two for their stash. Organised and run by the International Plastic Modellers Society (UK), this modelling extravaganza takes place across all four display halls of the International Centre, which are packed with everything from modelling society displays, to the most obscure modelling products you could think of and everything in between.

As this special edition of Workbench goes live, the first of the Telford crowds will just have been let into the International Centre halls and Scale ModelWorld 2016 is open for business. Many will already be heading towards the Airfix stand, not only to meet the people behind the magnificent models we tell you about on Workbench, but also to be amongst the first people to see the New Tooling announcement we will be making at the show. If you are heading down to Telford, please do drop by and say hello, but don’t worry if you can’t make it as we will be including a show report in a forthcoming edition of Workbench. Our team will be manning the ever popular Airfix make and paint area and on Sunday, both our lead researcher and the designer responsible for our latest new tooling announcement will be giving a talk on how they brought this classic aircraft to the Airfix range. Are you ready for our show announcement and the latest new model tooling reveal?

A Cold War classic - the 1/72nd Scale McDonnell Douglas FG.1 Phantom II

Airfix are proud to announce that the latest addition to their 1/72nd scale kit range will be a newly tooled example of the magnificent British McDonnell Douglas FG.1 Phantom II. Produced to the exacting standards modellers have come to expect from Airfix kits, this new model marks one of the most significant Cold War jets to serve with Britain’s armed forces and one which provided sterling service for over twenty years, during a critical period in our history. As one of the most successful jet aircraft of all time, the American McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II saw service with many of the world’s air forces, with Britain being a significant operator. With aircraft purchased for both the Fleet Air Arm and the RAF, arguably one of the most iconic post war British aviation images is that of a Royal Navy Phantom preparing to take off from the deck of HMS Ark Royal. With the two Rolls-Royce Spey engines in full afterburner and the nose wheel oleo extended to its maximum height, Britain’s Phantoms were certainly distinctive.

phantom_fg1_892_sqn_on_hms_ark_royal_r09_1972

Phantom FG1 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal (R09) 1972

Having received numerous requests to produce this model over the years, Airfix are delighted to announce that they will be adding a newly tooled 1/72nd scale example of the British McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 in 2017, presenting the modeller with a superb kit of this iconic Cold War warrior.

imageb

CAD screenshot image from the new 1/72nd scale Phantom FG.1 project

imagec

This stunning computer rendered 3D image shows what modellers can look forward to with the new Airfix British Phantom kit

We are pleased to be bringing you this Breaking Phantom FG.1 News and have included a small selection of development images from the project for your enjoyment. As you would expect, there will be much more information available regarding the new Phantom project in next week’s edition of Workbench, including the very latest images from the Telford Scale ModelWorld show. For readers who will be making the journey to Telford, we will have prototype samples of our McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 displayed on the Airfix stand, which will certainly give everyone a good idea of how this beautiful model kit will look when it is eventually released. Visitors to the show will also be able to take advantage of a unique opportunity on Sunday 13th November, as our lead researcher and the lead designer on the Phantom project will be holding a talk on their work in bringing this iconic aircraft to the Airfix range – a fascinating insight for any modeller.

The McDonnell Douglas FG.1 Phantom 1:72 (A06016) is scheduled to arrive in October 2017, and can be pre-ordered now.

imaged

Computer rendered 3D image of the new Airfix Phantom FG.1

We'd love to hear your reaction to the new Phantom FG.1. There is a dedicated Workbench thread on the Airfix Forum, and our social media team will be reporting live from Telford, so head over to the Airfix Facebook page or our Twitter channel. Whichever medium you decide to use, please do get in touch with us, as it is always great to hear from fellow modellers.

That's it for now, but we'll be back with a full report in next Friday's Workbench.

The Airfix Workbench Team

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Not sure how you expect them to make such a detailed modern kit cheaper than the competition in the form of the old much simpler Fujimi one, or (if benchmarked against other Phantom variants), the more recent Academy kits.

Well said. All things considered £25 for a new tool Phantom with folding wings, radome, extending gear etc does not seem to be too bad for me. Also if we get a decent set of weapons which it looks like we might it is all looking good.

Julien

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

..and seamless intakes and compressor faces too from some of those pics. Don't get those on the Fujimi kit!

c'mon Airfix ..only six rocket pods ! ..we need ten ! 

1F4Matrapods.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Well, it's amazing how quickly my joy evaporated. £25? I'm out.

The pound isn't what it used to be. The price for the Fujimi Phantoms *in Japan* is 3000 Yen. That's only a bit less than this new kit and the Fujimi is getting on for 30 years old.

Quick chat with the designer earlier confirms they are designing with a view to several releases. Mock up on stand had both types of tail planes, RAF specific load out and rounded  tail fin. Expect all variants of spey phantom at some point.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Same here except I have 22 Fujimi kits and still want the new Airfix one with all the features we have been looking for

6 hours ago, Class377fcc12 said:

That's where they all went. :P

Not all of 'em.  I have a dozen in The Stash.  

I'm really pleased about this one.

It is interesting to note they seem to have opted not to provide separate leading edge devises on the outer wing.  Z-M seems to also have overlooked this on their new 1/48 Phantom series....  In any case, this should be a quick job with a razor saw.

• Like 2

Not sure whether this has been noted before, but Homebee's pictures above show a Phantom FG1 for October '17 release with four rocket pods, and an FGR1 with sidewinders in one image, and six rocket pods in another... maybe a couple of boxings will be with us for Christmas 2017?

Edited by Robby

Good news on this when I woke this morning. Judging by the last 3 pages, Airfix has sold its 1st 10,000 kits to BMers alone. :D I'll be having one to go with the various others in my stock, only one of which is a Fujimi. I've obviously not been trying hard enough.

Steve.