Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

17 hours ago, tony.t said:

1-3 are possible, 4 is not as the landing gear oleos are compressed, but 5 - airborne with wheels up - is also an option.

4 - Extend the main oleos a little using a length of plastic rod or sparrow missile body, use the extended nose leg part but cut off bottom extension and rejoin the axle housing.

Configuration, main and leading edge flaps full down, ailerons drooped, tailplane incidence altered auxiliary engine doors open.

Airfixs' recent instructions are pretty good for showing different configurations

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

4 - Extend the main oleos a little using a length of plastic rod or sparrow missile body, use the extended nose leg part but cut off bottom extension and rejoin the axle housing.

Configuration, main and leading edge flaps full down, ailerons drooped, tailplane incidence altered auxiliary engine doors open.

Airfixs' recent instructions are pretty good for showing different configurations

And drop the hook and add aircrew. Extended scissor links would also need to be made for the MLG.

1/72 isn't normally my thing but this may be KOTY

Tony

I'm pleased to see the 767 NAS option in the markings, the 10 ton budgie makes an attractively different finish to the 892 NAS which I'm guessing will be most peoples pick. Saves me having to track down a Fujimi kit so marked or buy the old Modeldecal sheet with it on.

Steve.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm pleased to see the 767 NAS option in the markings, the 10 ton budgie makes an attractively different finish to the 892 NAS which I'm guessing will be most peoples pick. Saves me having to track down a Fujimi kit so marked or buy the old Modeldecal sheet with it on.

Steve.

The Fujimi decals suck rocks in any case, so this is a welcome development. (I too love the ten-ton budgie).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 27/07/2017 at 02:20, Procopius said:

I too love the ten-ton budgie

How could anybody not?   :shrug: 

I already have a Fujimi kit on my shelf with 767 NAS markings in the Navy scheme.  I think I should definitely investigate one in the RAF scheme.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2017 at 6:16 PM, Jb65rams said:

Test shot build in this months Airfix Model World. (Nov2017 issue)

Looks good to me.

Also has an article on building a deck catapult base.

Hmm, looks to be a bit of a curates egg. A few things I noticed that concern me.

- missing the little grille immediately above the exhausts. Curiously there is an insert there, but it just looks plain

- no intakes/vents on the inner top of the intakes

-  doesn't look like there is any boundary layer vent detail on the inner splitter plate

- the RWR looks very thin, the F4 RWR was a bulky unit but that looks barely wider than the fin.

we shall wait and see, but I hope they haven't spoilt the ship for ha'pennth of tar. 

• Like 2

I miss the the Luftwaffe diesels phlying over from nearby JG 74 Neuburg/Zell. But no more i will miss a decent British Phantom! Even with some little flaws, it looks great, this is the first real thing windscreen with the right swing and without the chance to get cement on the glass.

And you have real intakes to look at the compressor faces in 1:72!

I will love it ...

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Hmm, looks to be a bit of a curates egg. A few things I noticed that concern me.

- missing the little grille immediately above the exhausts. Curiously there is an insert there, but it just looks plain

- no intakes/vents on the inner top of the intakes

we shall wait and see, but I hope they haven't spoilt the ship for ha'pennth of tar. 

These items are mentioned as not being there in the magazine build. It maybe too late for Airfix to do anything about it which is a same as it does look a really good model.

3 hours ago, Phantom Phil said:

As a pre-production kit, it may have some errors that will hopefully be addressed when the Phantom gets released in early December (I'm sure the people at Airfix read this)

Now that is constructive thinking and a commendable attitude to take with these matters!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-airfix-exclusives-for-telford-scale-model-world-show/

Telford take-off for Phabulous Airfix Phantom

C_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Phantom_F

This iconic image illustrates why Royal Navy Phantoms are considered some of the most exciting aircraft ever to see service with the British military

If the North American Mustang was one of the most successful aircraft of the Second World War, a direct post war jet powered equivalent is surely the magnificent McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II, a thoroughbred interceptor and fighter bomber that saw extensive service throughout the world. Although very much an American classic, Britain was to be an early export customer for the Phantom, with aircraft equipping both Fleet Air Arm and later Royal Air Force squadrons, providing both with one of the world’s most potent aircraft. The British machines incorporated a number of significant modifications over their American counterparts, specifically intended to make the aircraft more suitable for operations from the relatively small flight decks of the Royal Navy’s existing aircraft carriers. These included the adoption of more powerful Rolls Royce Spey engines, which necessitated a redesign of the rear fuselage, allowing a more pronounced downward direction of thrust on take-off and an increase in the front profile of the aircraft, as these engines required greater air intake capacity to operate efficiently. The shorter decks of British carriers also required the aircraft to adopt a more pronounced angle of attack prior to catapult launch, which saw the Navy’s aircraft equipped with an extending nose wheel oleo and a dramatic appearance in the seconds just before a launch. Other differences included a fully hinged nose radome cover, larger flaps and drooping ailerons, all designed to improve the aircraft’s performance and stowage effectiveness on Britain’s diminutive aircraft carriers.

The first British Phantom F4K aircraft for the Royal Navy (which carried the British designation Phantom FG.1) were delivered in April 1968 and immediately began training Fleet Air Arm pilots to operate these mighty beasts from their base at RNAS Yeovilton, in preparation for their first deployment aboard a British carrier. This occurred in 1970, when HMS Ark Royal set sail with twelve Phantoms of No.892 NAS as part of her naval air group and establishing the British Phantom FG.1 of the Fleet Air Arm as arguably the most impressive looking jet aircraft to ever wear the British roundel. Despite an initial order for 140 Phantoms for the Royal Navy, successive defence budget reviews and the cancellation of some major naval contracts saw this requirement reduced to just 48 aircraft, with 20 of these eventually being diverted to the Royal Air Force. With only HMS Ark Royal capable of operating the Phantom, these iconic aircraft would ultimately have a relatively short service life with the Fleet Air Arm of just over ten years, but during that time, created an aviation legacy that continues to captivate to this day.

D_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Phantom_F

Full pack artwork layout for the new 1/72nd scale British Phantom FG.1

Since our new 1/72nd scale Phantom FG.1 was announced at last year’s Scale ModelWorld show at Telford, it has proved to be an extremely popular addition to our range of kits, with thousands of modellers desperate to get their hands on an example once they are released in December. If the clamour to get hold of one of these kits was not going to be frenetic enough, the release of the stunning box artwork which will accompany the kit will only serve to increase our anticipation and ensure that this new model will be residing on many a modeller's workbench over the coming months. Exclusively revealed to Workbench readers in this latest edition, the new Phantom artwork beautifully captures the drama of the Royal Navy Phantom launch, in a scene which replicates those witnessed onboard HMS Ark Royal during her years of Phantom operations. With the steam from the catapult launch system mixing with the flames from the Phantom’s two afterburning Rolls-Royce Spey engines hitting the water-cooled jet blast deflectors, this aircraft looks like a huge metal praying mantis about to be hurled into the air, in what must have been an awe-inspiring sight for anyone lucky enough to witness it. Add to this the attractive and always popular colours applied to Fleet Air Arm aircraft and you have an enigmatic combination that makes the Royal Navy Phantom FG.1 simply irresistible to anyone with even the slightest interest in British aviation.

More Phantom exclusives

With our new McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 scheduled for a triumphant December release many visitors to the Airfix stand at Scale ModelWorld this weekend will be hoping to see a built example of this fantastic kit on display, almost twelve months to the day since the model was first announced. They will not be disappointed, as this will be just one of the many impressive models we will have available on our stand for closer inspection over the weekend, but you didn’t think we would leave our loyal Workbench readers out did you? In advance of the Telford show, we are proud to exclusively reveal this selection of Phantom FG.1 build images, which illustrate just how splendid this new kit is and will surely serve as inspiration for many Phantom model builds to come – enjoy.

E_A06016_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Ph

A selection of beautiful Phantom FG.1 model sample images, which are being shown for the first time on Workbench

F_A06016_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Ph

G_A06016_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Ph

H_A06016_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Ph

Two classic poses for Fleet Air Arm Phantoms in the seconds before launch from HMS Ark Royal

J_A06016_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Ph

Since the moment our new Phantom FG.1 tooling was announced, we knew this was going to be an incredibly popular addition to the 1/72nd scale range and the release of these latest images will only help to confirm its popularity. With initial supplies of this kit certain to be in high demand, now is the time to check the status of your order with your model supplier, or to place your pre-order before it is too late. For anyone who unfortunately misses out on the initial release, we will be receiving further Phantom supplies early next year, so please keep checking the Airfix website for the latest delivery and stock information.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Other differences included a fully hinged nose radome cover, larger flaps and drooping ailerons, all designed to improve the aircraft’s performance and stowage effectiveness on Britain’s diminutive aircraft carriers.

The above is a quote from Airfix's Workbench blog, included in Homebee's post.

I thought the F-4K/M both used the standard J wing? I've searched @Tailspin Turtle's blog, but can't find anything there about that difference. Does anyone know?

Really looking forward to this kit :thumbsup:.

On 10/11/2017 at 1:15 PM, AntPhillips said:

Ooofff :gobsmacked: that is a well superb piece of box art, if Airfix were to release that as an art print I'd be well tempted to get one :clap2:

If it's done by Adam Tooby (which it looks like it is) keep an eye on his website - it probably won't be long after the kit's release before he starts selling prints of it. I have the Lightning box art on my wall as a print from his site!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

I thought the F-4K/M both used the standard J wing? I've searched @Tailspin Turtle's blog, but can't find anything there about that difference. Does anyone know?

Really looking forward to this kit :thumbsup:.

As far as I know, it's the same basic wing as the J. The wider fuselage sat on top of the wing so the span is the same.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

As far as I know, it's the same basic wing as the J. The wider fuselage sat on top of the wing so the span is the same.

Many thanks, Tommy - I thought I recalled something from your postings on the K/M, but couldn't find it. Cheers!

3 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Ooofff :gobsmacked: that is a well superb piece of box art, if Airfix were to release that as an art print I'd be well tempted to get one :clap2:

Airfix should now release a Wessex and box them together. :D

4 hours ago, F111Fan said:

If it's done by Adam Tooby (which it looks like it is) keep an eye on his website - it probably won't be long after the kit's eelease before he starts selling prints of it. I have the Lightning box art on my wall as a print from his site!

The one with or without stabilisers?

;)

• Haha 4

On 5 October 2017 at 9:53 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Hmm...

- missing the little grille immediately above the exhausts...

- no intakes/vents on the inner top of the intakes...

Would be handy if these were to be catered for on the decal sheet. Perfectly acceptable in 1/72 scale

Looks to be a great little model

Tony

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:28 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh no, there goes my Christmas project, bugger may have to switch to ruining the victor in the stash......really didn't want to touch it after last Christmas valiant disaster

Do you only do any modelling at Christmas, Stu?