Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

• 1 month later...

Impressive kit

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/air-power-of-the-senior-service/

No box art yet

And advance notice for Telford: "As usual, we will also be looking to make an announcement regarding a new tooling addition to the Airfix range. We hope to see many of our readers over the weekend of the show and will be pleased to show you all our latest model announcements."

Let the speculation begin.... Hunter?

• Like 1

Looking at that clear sprue is the bit between the two canopies for the open option moulded in two parts? ie a seam through the window?

And is that the radar dish on the clear sprue?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Looking at that clear sprue is the bit between the two canopies for the open option moulded in two parts? ie a seam through the window?

I suspect one is for the later FGR2 with the telescopic sight - and yes, it's the radar dish

4 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Sure does look like the radar dish on the clear sprue, it looks good lots of options, but there's one thing that doesn't look right and that's the rear tip of the non-RWR fin, it seems to taper down too much, not just on the plastic but in the artworks as well.

It might be me but if not I hope its correctable.

• Like 1

Thank heavens for that. Its the problem with photos and the lack of depth, as the part doesn't look as wide as the same part of the canopy on the closed version but it does if you try and imagine the two centre parts put together

14 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

Well thats done it - no pilot figures - not buying it, useless I tell ya :D

I thought I couldn't see any either.  So its now utterly unbuildable as the front u/c leg would only be extended when the crew were boarded and the plane on the cat ready for launch!

Heading for cover now...

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

...but there's one thing that doesn't look right and that's the rear tip of the non-RWR fin, it seems to taper down too much, not just on the plastic but in the artworks as well.

It might be me but if not I hope its correctable.

It is correctable as it's a matter of removing steel and not adding some. Could perhaps be just a plastic flow issue though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Laurent said:

It is correctable as it's a matter of removing steel and not adding some. Could perhaps be just a plastic flow issue though.

I'm also hoping that is the cause, but its strange that the decal placement diagrams show it too. The Phantom has a relatively flat fin top, the Airfix side profiles show it curving up and then back down again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

I'm also hoping that is the cause, but its strange that the decal placement diagrams show it too. The Phantom has a relatively flat fin top, the Airfix side profiles show it curving up and then back down again.

True. It's likely that the CAD designer did an error then.

Sprue gates are too large and there might be a bit of flash somewhere - obviously unbuildable. Airfix needs to consult the "mad riveter". :wacko:

In all seriousness, I hope Airfix smashes some records with this new release, they've been pretty good in bringing new things to market lately and more money in the coffers would allow that to continue. Good luck Airfix.

Aren't we all getting carried away with picking out alleged errors? As I never seem to stop saying, wait until you have it in your hands. Those sprue images do not have sufficient resolution to bear close examination of the parts. And suggesting that the kit is wrong because of an artwork issue is just plain daft.

• Like 8