Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

12 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

(unknown photographer, photo print in my collection, published in Patrick's book..)   One of the RAF machines (XV 579) loaned to RN/767 hence the Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey variegated camouflage finish . Decals on the RAM Models sheet " Early British Phantoms"

This photo was taken by the late Terry Waddington.

Patrick Martin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

(unknown photographer, photo print in my collection, published in Patrick's book..)   One of the RAF machines (XV 579) loaned to RN/767 hence the Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey variegated camouflage finish . Decals on the RAM Models sheet " Early British Phantoms"

Right scheme, wrong service!

Not enough RAF schemes for this kit.

Pugwash Airways only flew this aircraft for 10 years,  the RAF for considerably longer yet we don't get decals for the greatest user of this aircraft. Bizarre??

11 minutes ago, Wez said:

Pugwash Airways only flew this aircraft for 10 years,  the RAF for considerably longer yet we don't get decals for the greatest user of this aircraft. Bizarre??

Only 43 sqn  and 111 sqn used the FG.1, the way airfix get the most out of their new tools I expect an FGR. 2 next year.

Phil

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wez said:

Can't help thinking that it is for Airfix to maximise on varying releases, a box of Navy FG.1 options, another for RAF FG.1s, and hopefully another for FGR.2s

• Like 1

From what I've seen, the kit only includes Pugwash Airways schemes, a mistake IMO, it should also include an RAF scheme, after all, they used the aircraft for longer.

Whilst I agree Airfix need to maximise their investment limiting their boxing to the FAA is not the way of doing it.

Edited by Wez

Maybe they are going on the "release a kit in the least popular scheme first" theory and then doing multiple 🦀  options afterwards.

Trevor who's running for the hills to avoid Senior Service types.

:dalek:

• Like 3

The Airfix Phantom FG1 has three FAA Schemes

767 Sqdn 'Yellow Bird' 151 in the FAA scheme 1970

892 Sqdn 001 with RWR and no nose stripes so 75-76 period 

NASU Naval Air Support Unit the one with the Red Heron based at Yeovilton 1970

This from the Airfix Catalogue the exact aircraft serials and specific dates will have to await the uploading of the painting guides in a future Workbench I suspect.

And I for one am rather pleased that we have 3 different FAA schemes it would be too easy to have the kit overloaded with crab air schemes for 43 sqdn and later 111 sqdn at the expense of the FAA.

There will be a dedicated RAF boxing of the FGR2 due in 2018 which will have the gun pod and EMI pod and no doubt we will see another FG1 decal sheet with possibly more 767 as well as 43 and 111 in their various schemes. 

• Like 5

Regarding the Xtradecal sheet they still need to amend some of their shapes hopefully before it goes to the printers.

Robert

Edited by Robert
removed link

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Pugwash Airways

You sir, owe me a chicken and cheese sarnie, the time I spent cleaning it up and the lost respect of my work mates.

Warn a chap the next time you plan to drop one like that, eh?

:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Can't help thinking that it is for Airfix to maximise on varying releases, a box of Navy FG.1 options, another for RAF FG.1s, and hopefully another for FGR.2s

There's a possibilty of three FGR.2 boxes.  

Early ground attack versions; later air defence versions; even later air defence grey versions. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Early ground attack versions; later air defence versions; even later air defence grey versions. 

So that's 2018, 2019 & 2020 covered (unless we are all nuked out of existence by then). 

Remember back in about 1987 when Fujimi whacked us with four different UK Phantom kit box versions at the same time! I suspect we'll never see that like again. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob G said:

You sir, owe me a chicken and cheese sarnie, the time I spent cleaning it up and the lost respect of my work mates.

Warn a chap the next time you plan to drop one like that, eh?

:D

Sorry about that, after all a chicken and cheese sarnie is a very fine thing indeed.

I might seem a bit harsh on the FAA/RN but being ex-RAF I'm no respecter of their silly traditions, it was only whilst being deployed with them did I find out that Captain Pugwash was a documentary!

I still think the Airfix kit should come with RAF schemes, I'm happy for it to have one FAA scheme but they should also include the RAF grey/green and Air Defence greys schemes.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

Well, when you crabs start walking normally you can have your silly camouflage schemes. Until then let the SENIOR SERVICE have a bit of the limelight. :bleh:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

OR, they could just stuff all the relevant alternative bits (including whizz bangs!)  for each version into one large box and just include additional sprues for the actual aeroplane !!:lol:

Allan 

ps Pugwash Airways eh? Well, why not. The RAF had Black Mike. Why not have a Pugwash Airways Black Pig option?:lol::lol:

Edited by Albeback52

24 minutes ago, Shar2 said:

Well, when you crabs start walking normally you can have your silly camouflage schemes. Until then let the SENIOR SERVICE have a bit of the limelight. :bleh:

Actually, the FAA is more junior than the RAF IIRC?

Didn't stop it adopting the silly traditions of its ancient and hidebound grandparent though.:tease:

As for limelight, I always found the RN was very good at self promotion, there was always a damned photographer taking publicity shots!

Oh well, Airfix will still sell plenty of kits and the after market will allow us to make the more interesting schemes - I fancy doing a 43 Sqn jet in DG/DSG/LAG for my first...

I suspect we'll see other Phantom FG1 sheets appear nearer or after the actual kit release, The early 899 sorry I mean 43 sqdn jets (Yes 43sqdn nicked the Aircraft ordered for HMS Eagle and 899 Squadron), are actually not easy to come by, they were on an very early Xtradecal sheet and now OOP so I would guess that Hannants will do another FG1 sheet with camouflage and ADV aircraft to cover 767 Sqdn, 43 Sqdn and 111 sqdn, hopefully in both camo schemes and possibly with some of the special colour schemes - especially as the 892 sheet says its Phantom FG1 Pt1. We may have 2 or 3 sheets for the FG1 and were likely to see similar if not more for the FGR2. Wez could be rather broke but very happy by the end of 2018 :D

18 minutes ago, Geoff_B said:

Wez could be rather broke but very happy by the end of 2018 :D

You're not wrong Geoff.

I still have a couple of Modeldecal sheets for RAF jets including the very old one that has an early 43 Sqn jet.

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Actually, the FAA is more junior than the RAF IIRC?

Didn't stop it adopting the silly traditions of its ancient and hidebound grandparent though.:tease:

As for limelight, I always found the RN was very good at self promotion, there was always a damned photographer taking publicity shots!

Oh well, Airfix will still sell plenty of kits and the after market will allow us to make the more interesting schemes - I fancy doing a 43 Sqn jet in DG/DSG/LAG for my first...

Actually you lot didn't exist till 1918, whereas the RNAS began in 1909. :bleh:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Shar2 said:

Actually you lot didn't exist till 1918, whereas the RNAS began in 1909. :bleh:

And then got disbanded in 1918 and didn't reform as the FAA until 1937 :tease:

Airfix are going to do quite well out of me this year, several RAF Phantoms, RAF ASR Walrus and Cuban Sea Fury...

...I take it the Airfix Toom will be coming with Air Defence weapons fit?

Edited by Wez

30 minutes ago, Shar2 said:

Anyway, apart from the banter,  I'm pleased Airfix are releasing this kit, and it's not even my scale. :D

Absolutely agree, except that I don't stick to one scale.

I do wish they'd scale down the Javelin and Sea Vixen though (likewise the Sea Fury and the Walrus).

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1