Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

I mentioned this in my Airfix catalogue post. Has any one else seen the odd position of the fin on the box top art work It looks like its fitted directly behind cockpit. Also The port intake looks too prominent in the angle shown. Remember the Lightning F^ artwork error!!

• Like 1

The inlets are angled inwards a tad so a bigger port orifice looks normal to me.

The fin/vert stab was a classified mod. It could slide five feet forwards to increase yaw during SNEB rocket attacks, for extra area coverage. The Nav had a special crank handle.

Tony

Edited by tony.t
to edit
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11 January 2017 at 11:55 PM, Paul J said:

I mentioned this in my Airfix catalogue post. Has any one else seen the odd position of the fin on the box top art work It looks like its fitted directly behind cockpit. Also The port intake looks too prominent in the angle shown. Remember the Lightning F^ artwork error!!

I still have not come across a corrected artwork Lightning box top... bloody frustrating as I wanted to frame the error & corrected boxtops!

14 hours ago, XV107 said:

Is it my eyesight, or is there only one nosewheel there? I know the FG1 had some issues with the nosewheel steering, but that's taking realism to extremes...

Whoever set that up that company "promotion" should be fired. The laughable canopy positions are also a highlight, not to mention the missing rudder, and the horrible "paste" job on the stab.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Whoever set that up that company "promotion" should be fired. The laughable canopy positions are also a highlight, not to mention the missing rudder, and the horrible "paste" job on the stab.

Gene K

The rudder is there, but is lent over to one side, but agree about the rest.

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

The rudder is there, but is lent over to one side, but agree about the rest.

Could be, but I think the 1:1 rudder doesn't flop over that far. I assumed it was missing since, in that rear area, the "promoter" also lost the rear fuselage dump mast insert ... . Black Knight's link shows how the display should have looked! 

Gene K

1 hour ago, The Good Sergeant said:

I'm most anxious about the model's panel lines. Airfix has a way to go to meet the standard that's been set by Tamiya and Hasegawa.

Actually, the last few new tool Airfix kits I've gotten have been entirely satisfactory in this area. 

• Like 2

I'm glad to see Airfix do this RN aircraft. Even though it's not my first choice in 1/72nd scale (the Bucc or the Sea Vixen would be), still, Airfix are moving in the correct direction as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

I'm glad to see Airfix do this RN aircraft. Even though it's not my first choice in 1/72nd scale (the Bucc or the Sea Vixen would be), still, Airfix are moving in the correct direction as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,

Jason

Hopefully those two will follow with a new tool Buccaneer and a scaled down Sea Vixen, I suspect the Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen put them off bringing out the Sea Vixen now and the Buccaneer might be waiting to see what the turks actually do, where as the British Phantom is not readily available (no importer for Fujimi when they repop the kit),so its a choice i'm quite happy with.

21 hours ago, Gene K said:

Gene K

Its the lithograph model created from the CAD that they showed at SMW in November, its not the kit or even a test shot as those are not done yet, that model is just used to sell the concept and after SMW it will have done London and now Germany. Like most of us how do display models at shows, damage and on the fly repairs are a matter of course.

Don't bother moaning about it wait to we see the sprue shots and test builds later in the year before passing judgement

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Don't bother moaning about it wait to we see the sprue shots and test builds later in the year before passing judgement

That's a laughable (!) statement in light of your opinion that the model "is just used to sell the concept". The concept is and has been entirely sold, and the model appreciated in it's undamaged form ... it's the presentation that is being criticized. No judgements were passed except yours.

Gene K

4 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Its the lithograph model created from the CAD that they showed at SMW in November, its not the kit or even a test shot as those are not done yet, that model is just used to sell the concept and after SMW it will have done London and now Germany

Yup.  Limited time to set up the booth + probably limited talent to fix the model + a bunch of miles on a delicate prototype + an audience that doesn't particularly care whether it's a contest-quality build, merely the saleability of the product.  I get that it doesn't look its best, but it's clearly due to hasty repairs on the display floor.  It's a minor aesthetic issue on par with an ugly backdrop in the Airfix display booth.  In terms of the actual model kit, it really doesn't matter.

13 minutes ago, Gene K said:

That's a laughable (!) statement in light of your opinion that the model "is just used to sell the concept". The concept is and has been entirely sold, and the model appreciated in it's undamaged form ... it's the presentation that is being criticized. No judgements were passed except yours.

Gene K

You said that "whoever set up that display should be fired."  But that's not a judgement?

It's a trade show.  It's *the* major European trade show for the hobby industry.  Its purpose is to sell kits to wholesalers and distributors from around the world.  You and I might be all-in for the kit, but MMD, and Great Planes, and Udisco, and Pocketbond, and CPC, and Glow2B, and Vestergaard, and Beaver are the ones being convinced right now.  The trade show is about *them* buying kits (and in what quantity), based on purchase price, sale price, feature set, forecasted demand, marketing support, etc.  The people placing bulk orders with Airfix probably don't know - or care - that the canopy on the display model was tacked on at the wrong angle.  They understand that prototype samples get bashed around, and are more interested in the core financials.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Xtradecal - ref. 72268 - McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 Collection pt.1

- XT866/W - Phantom Post-Operational Conversion Unit - RN Leuchars 1970s;
- XT859 725/VL - 700P NAS Intensive Flying Trials Unit - RN Yeovilton 1968;
- XV567 011/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection - cross decking with USS Saratoga 1969;
- XT872 005/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection - 1973;
- XT860 014/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection - 1976;
- XV590 001/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection -Colonial Navy cross decking with USS Saratoga 1978 with final cruise nose flash;
- XT865 004/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection - 1978;
- XT872 004/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection - 1977;
- XT863 014/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection - 1977 with FAA Jubilee nose flash;
- XT864 007/R - 892 Sqn on HMS Ark Royal selection - 1975 with final cruise nose flash;

X72268.jpg

X72268 X72268 X72268

X72268

V.P.

• Like 1

Still like the Colonial Navy one on the Saratoga.

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Evil said:

Looks VERY similar to the old Model Alliance sheet, right down to (if my eyesight serves) to the wrong date for the 1100 years of King Alfred's Navy marking. Still an inspiring sheet though.

Highly likely that it is as they bought the remainign stock and probably rights to do the sheets.

• Like 1

F4767.jpg%22

(unknown photographer, photo print in my collection, published in Patrick's book..)   One of the RAF machines (XV 579) loaned to RN/767 hence the Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey variegated camouflage finish . Decals on the RAM Models sheet " Early British Phantoms"

• Like 4