Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

14 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I think they possibly overcooked the rhetoric slightly with their line about making international waves, or whatever it was, because I don't think many people outside the UK care much about Spey Phantoms. But it will certainly do fine here

Nope. They knew about me :D. They also wanted me to shut up about it, so the only thing to do was to make one... sensible folk at Airfix.

• Like 2

Ram Models early British Phantom's sheet will be selling well. Some really nice schemes for EDSG Phantoms.

http://www.rammodels.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/358

They must be delighted with this coming out as it makes the return on their investment a lot bigger; which in turn means they can invest in more product, so its a good thing all round!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raygunsnap said:

I care, too, and I am way outside the U.K.  Fly Navy!

I couldn't be less British if I tried, and I'm ecstatic. I'll finally get a real RN and RAF Rhino to replace my close enough for government work Monogram F-4s.:D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

I care. (But am willling to relocate.)

I care too; for my money, the Spey Phantoms are the best looking of the lot. Although I'm not willing to relocate - my parents helped me escape 47 years ago and although I may go back and visit, I'm happy living where I do. I guess I need to make a decision on whether I'm selling or building the 4 Fujimis that I have in the stash.

20 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I think they possibly overcooked the rhetoric slightly with their line about making international waves, or whatever it was, because I don't think many people outside the UK care much about Spey Phantoms. But it will certainly do fine here

Somewhat I agree that Spey Phantom is a definitely cool news for British modelling community. But it's a questionable news for international modellers. 

I personally do not build more than one example of each aircraft. Phantom II is one of the aircrafts I would possibly build several examples - but for me priority number one would be USAF Vietnam version, then IDF version, then USN/USMC Vietnam bird. And only then I would possibly look onto Spey Phantom. But hmmm... They never fired a single shot in anger! Maybe a Turkish or Iranian F-4 then? And then there are Blue Angels' Phantoms! And Wild Weasels from the Desert Storm. So (unfortunately) Spey Phantom is perhaps number 5 or 6 in my personal Phantoms queue. 

More jets in 1/72 is a definitely a very-very much welcome news! But when do we get a Sea Vixen or Javelin or Meteor downscale? Or a new tool Venom or Hunter or Buccaneer? 

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Not sure the 'international' rhetoric was necessarily about this kit? isn't there meant to be something significant revealed later today by Airfix?

Also I think this will sell well worldwide, there's plenty of online references to international modellers building the Fujimi UK examples.

When you consider the options for this kit, it's almost limitless. 

The FG.1 alone served with two RN (767 & 892) and RAF (43 & 111) sqns, the McDD development aircraft, 700P Trials and POCU and the A&AEE.  

There's four standard schemes and then there all those wonderful special schemes that the FG.1 in particular attracted, finishing up with Black Mike.

I have seen reference to 228 OCU/64R  using 1s, but can't find anything concrete at the mo.

This is definitely going to be a multiples seller!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Whenever chatting with aviation nuts -from wildly different places in Europe and Asia- in the past, every time Phantoms came up the F-4K and F-4M were felt as the more exotic subjects - the interesting one-offs. There were also universally seen as the more brutish version and thus cool. The modellers I've spoken to about the subject found the long nose leg of the FG.1 alone interesting enough for a build. I would say many if not most modellers are not restrained by their own nation's subjects but have a wider interest. I have no doubt whatsoever this subject will be an international best-seller. A few bits of proof for its international appeal would be: look at other forums outside the UK as they're discussing this latest news as well; Hasegawa developed this version in 1/48 in the mid 1980s and still sells; Fujimi keeps re-issuing the FG.1 and not a more numerous version such as the F-4D because it's popular in Japan as well. 

Jay

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

I care. (But am willling to relocate.)

Massive Spey Phantom love from over here at the Netherlands as well. 2017 is going to be expensive.  

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

I have just counted my (made) RAF/RN Phantom collection - 31 in total. This includes all the units which flew them and XV470 in all it's guises. By the way XV470 was one of the few FGR2s to serve with 43.

While I shall buy the Airfix one (or 3) but won't be starting again!

• Like 1

Hmmn Announced just over 24 hrs ago and up to 13 pages of comments, think that would class it as a good choice by Airfix as it certainly got our interest.

Did you note on the product webpage on the Airfix site that its a licenced by Boeing product :-

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/mcdonnell-douglas-fg-1-phantom-1-72.html

So that would probably add to the unit price of the kit too !.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Not sure the 'international' rhetoric was necessarily about this kit? isn't there meant to be something significant revealed later today by Airfix?

Also I think this will sell well worldwide, there's plenty of online references to international modellers building the Fujimi UK examples.

When you consider the options for this kit, it's almost limitless. 

The FG.1 alone served with two RN (767 & 892) and RAF (43 & 111) sqns, the McDD development aircraft, 700P Trials and POCU and the A&AEE.  

There's four standard schemes and then there all those wonderful special schemes that the FG.1 in particular attracted, finishing up with Black Mike.

I have seen reference to 228 OCU/64R  using 1s, but can't find anything concrete at the mo.

This is definitely going to be a multiples seller!

Didn't an FG.1 also serve with the 'Colonial Navy' for a brief time? During cross-decking exercises one of them had 'Royal' replaced by 'Colonial' and a white star with 'meat ball' centre painted over the roundel while operating from a US carrier.

• Like 1

I was nine years old when Sailor tv-series about the Ark Royal IV was broadcast in Finland. It hit me like a high energy shock, but fortunately the Matchbox Phantom was there to treat the symptoms... Though there may have been some time between them, but looking back now they seem to go hand in hand. Thanks Airfix, I will buy one 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Not in anger... no.  But that's not to say that a British Phantom has never shot down another aircraft... :wicked:

On 25th May 1982, 92 Squadron Phantom FGR.2 XV422/J shot down 14 Squadron Jaguar GR.1 XX963/AL near Wesel, West Germany with a live AIM-9L Sidewinder fired during a simulated combat exercise. The pilot ejected safely. The Phantom earned the nickname 'Jaguar Killer'.

Edited by falcon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Didn't an FG.1 also serve with the 'Colonial Navy' for a brief time? During cross-decking exercises one of them had 'Royal' replaced by 'Colonial' and a white star with 'meat ball' centre painted over the roundel while operating from a US carrier.

Not AFAIK know but there was a USMC F-4B that got stranded on the Ark Royal and the RN personal repainted the tail to match their FG1's, as ship was to dock at Malta and US Personal were not welcome at time time

US-f-4-phantom-british-markings1.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not AFAIK know but there was a USN F-4B that got stranded on the Ark Royal and the RN personal repainted the tail to match their FG1's 

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/vf121/interesting/

You have to scroll down a bit but I found a photo of the Colonial Navy aircraft.  If Airfix release it with this as an option   I think a lot of appetites will be whetted on both sides of the pond.

Edited by Greg B
duplicated picture removed
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

You have to scroll down a bit but I found a photo of the Colonial Navy aircraft.  If Airfix release it with this as an option   I think a lot of appetites will be whetted on both sides of the pond.

Ill be darned :)

12 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I would definitely have to build that one!  So lthat's at least two kits I'll be buying, better start saving now!!

• Like 1