Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

59 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

It is interesting to note they seem to have opted not to provide separate leading edge devises on the outer wing.  Z-M seems to also have overlooked this on their new 1/48 Phantom series....  In any case, this should be a quick job with a razor saw.

It is odd that, not quite a quick job cutting the outboard leading edge flap, as the original is a bit more complex than that, particularly the upper surface part.

Hopefully JE5TAR can speak to his friend at Airfix about it while it's still early?

2 hours ago, alex said:

a question for the phantom experts here: what were the ordnance they used? I know the Matra Pods, the gun pod, some freefall (1000lb?) bombs, what else, beside the Sidewinder and Skyflash?

2 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

c'mon Airfix ..only six Matra pods ! ..we need ten ! 

The Navy didn't use Matra pods as not compatible with carrier ops, using the 2" rocket pods instead.

The hint of EMI recce pods above certainly suggests that an FGR.2 boxing is on the way as well.

An FG.1 and FGR.2 could be kitted in the same box (two sets of tailplanes, nose gear legs, catapault hook recess fairings), but I don't thinks that's Airfixs' style?

Great to see the CAD showing the full depth intakes.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

For those not there, the mock up had a recce pod for a 41 or 2 squadron aircraft.

Or 111.........😏

Some of the CAD/3D prototyping shows a Mish mash of parts. One of the digital models showed RN 2 inch rocket pods as well.

other RAF Phantom loads - bombs, SUU23 gun pod, BL755 cluster bomb, Lepus flares and nuclear weapons (US loaned ones)

Edited by Dave Fleming

1 hour ago, Troffa said:

Note that some of the CAD shots show the Optical Sight for Visual Ident (TCS? TESS?) on the Port side between the two cockpits- I think that was a purely RAF Fit. 

Fancy name for some old tank gunsights😏

• Like 4

Kes,

FG. 1 had a slatted tailplane, catapult hooks and extendable nose wheel leg;  the FGR. 2 had an unslatted tailplane and lacked catapult hooks ane the extendable nose wheel leg.  Initially with the FAA the main mission was air-to -air with a secondary air-to-ground capability.  The RAF started mainly in air-to-ground and tactical reconnaissance moving later to air-to -air.  When the Royal Navy lost the last of its conventional carriers in 1978 the remaining FG. 1s were passed to the RAF, equipping 43 and 111 Squadrons (the former was the only front line RAF unit to fly the FG. 1 exclusively).  111 Squadron converted to the FGR. 2 from the Lightning and thence to the FG. 1.  FGR.2s with XT- serial numbers were configured to enable the rear cockpit to be fitted with rudimentary flying controls (some systems and services could only be controlled from the front cockpit) and many of these served with 228 OCU (64 Squadron).

2 and 41 Squadrons had the tactical reconnaissance task, the former in RAF Germany and the latter in he UK and carried an EMI-manufactured pod on the centre line station.

From the early-mid seventies all surviving aircraft were fitted with Radar Warning Receivers in a squared-off fin top fairing     and ILS antennae half way up the fin.  Later still a long-range target identification sight in the left-hand inter-canopy panel.

XV406 above was a trials machine for the EMI pod fitment, 111 Sqn didn't use the pod.

10 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

On the mock up you could see dropped outer wing slats and the rounded fin top; the work bench video shows a square top fin and belly fuel tank as opposed to the recce pod.

Excellent, was that on the mock up seen today?

Sounds like all bases will be covered!

Edited by 71chally

2 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Excellent, was that on the mock up seen today?

Sounds like all bases will be covered!

Yes I was actually there at the point it got pulled out of its little brown box before it went into the display case. 

• Like 1

I had heard the rumour of Airfix releasing a new Phantom in 72nd Scale. Just proves that Santa is real you disbelievers.  I  personally can't wait. All I need now is Lewis Hamilton to win the F1 Grand Prix Title and it will be the perfect end to the year.

• Like 1

FG.1s were also supplied brand new to the RAF, serving with 43 Sqn.  These were originally obtained under the belief that HMS Eagle would still be in service.

Seem to recall that there is a minor panel change on the aft port side of the fuselage of the FGR.2 as well.

Edited by 71chally

I have seen the 'pre-production model and it looks really quite impressive.  It is labelled a FGR1!!!!  It is shown with a variety of stores but includes bits only appropriate to the FGR2 so I suspect it will be packaged as a F4K/M.  Best get those Fugitsu Phantoms sold on eBay before everyone else finds out.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

It is interesting to note they seem to have opted not to provide separate leading edge devises on the outer wing.  Z-M seems to also have overlooked this on their new 1/48 Phantom series....  In any case, this should be a quick job with a razor saw.

The photo on the Airfix Facebook page, which looks like it us of the model displayed at Telford, does have drooped outer leading edges......but this is the Rumourmonger section of BM.....

Peter

• Like 1

This is great news. I can't wait! I have 3 Fujimi kits and the one I bought burner cans, ejection seats, wheels and a pitot tube for cost me more than £25 in the end.

I'm sure this will ensure we see an influx of new Phantom decal sheets from the after market guys!

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

7 hours ago, junglierating said:

Scupper me the poop decks awash!

Do you think airfix have a matelot (ex sailor) at the helm....toom,sea fury and a walrus....looks that way to me!

Hopefully he'll get a job at the MOD soon.  They could really use him (or her).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Ant 43 sqdn formed with the aircraft that were ordered and earmarked for 899 sqdn on Eagle, 111 reformed with the ex 892 aircraft AFAIK

Did the FG.1 ever appear in 64 (R) sqn markings?

I'm guessing that the RAF ILS fins (horizontal on the vertical stab) are an indication of an RAF version as they are wrong for an RN Phantom. Never needed.  However they are present on the one the FAAM have painted in 892 colours as she is ex-43 sqn.

What do you wingy chaps think of the new announcement,I said at first wrong scale,but they are good at 1/72nd,and mebbe that should be their forte and leave the 48th to the new boys on the block,it's just a thought be interested to know what you think

13 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Did the FG.1 ever appear in 64 (R) sqn markings?

No, didn't appear in 54 sqn either, which is what I think you meant.

34 minutes ago, FZ6 said:

This is great news. I can't wait! I have 3 Fujimi kits and the one I bought burner cans, ejection seats, wheels and a pitot tube for cost me more than £25 in the end.

I'm sure this will ensure we see an influx of new Phantom decal sheets from the after market guys!

Regards,

Mark

I reckon they'll be pretty big sheets too.  I counted 17 RAF squadrons if you include 74, who apparently flew a few, 64/228 OCU and 23/1435 Flight.  Then there's the grey fighter schemes too.

• Like 1