Emhar FJ-4B Fury 1/72 - help if you can?

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

An appeal to any builders of this kit to ask for any advice before I start the build. I have the Pavla cockpit set as well as the resin tail pipe. My area of concern is really the wheels. Is there an alternative? Has anyone found anything similar from another kit that could work? My first job is rescribing so I have time to pull together as much guidance as you can offer.

thanks in advance.

Martin

Building Sabres one by one!

Edited by RidgeRunner

I forgot to also ask - I would like to build a VU-7 machine in engine grey, yellow and dayglo. The challenge there is the white decals for the serial etc and then the big issue of white stencils. Any ideas?

M

Hi RidgeRunner,

On my P2V-3 Neptune build, I used some of the 1/350 (ship model) aircraft size letters and numbers for the serials. If you can find 'em on Ebay or wherever, Microscale used to make white data set sheets for 1/72 F-4's, A-7's, etc. Many of them were illegible, but look pretty good in a pinch.

Ed

Best of luck with it! I built one of these many (20?) years ago and was not impressed. I would have thought that wheels would be the least of your worries. Can't remember all the details but seem to remember 'flat plate' wing and tail surfaces and the decals not quite matching the illustrations.

Re the wheel issue- maybe A-7 Corsair II, F-11F,F4D, or F9F-7-8 wheels might be usable; my reasoning being they were all about the same size/weight aircraft. Have to pull out my FJ-4 references...will get back to you. You might try Tailhook Tommy's site for photos and/or discussion.

Mike

Although I will have to trim the rim I have discovered that the spare set of F-86H wheels I have are the perfect diameter and width :)

thanks for for the input, though.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Since you are wanting to do it in drone director colors, you will also have to sand down and get rid of the aft airbrakes as those were not used on the straight FJ-4, only the FJ-4B.  The 4B, as far as have I have seen from various references, were never used in utility or drone director colors.  I'm not positive, but it seems to be that drone director aircraft had dayglo in place of the red as used by utility aircraft at the time.

Later,

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes, that was the plan but ....... as I haven't located any white stencilling yet ..... I am opting for a -4B model and therefore the lower brakes will remain. So far the Pavla tub etc are in and the fuselage is cemented. I'll remove the current vanes on the brakes and replace with four fresh ones. Having spent a day or so re-scribing I need a break now... ;). She will probably end up as a Memphis machine because that is the only place that I have seen any of these in real life.

M

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:34 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Although I will have to trim the rim I have discovered that the spare set of F-86H wheels I have are the perfect diameter and width :)

thanks for for the input, though.

Martin

Well, I'll be! Checked my SH F-86H and you are right! They are very, very close! The main wheels in my Fujimi A-7's have the right hub/spoke pattern, but are too big in diameter. Of course, as soon as you pillage your F-86H for its wheels, one of the aftermarket people will come out with a complete set  for the FJ-4! Maybe in the future Sword or Meng will get around to doing new-tool Furies!

Mike

Special Hobby long ago announced an FJ-2.  Still have it on my watching list at Hannant's but I doubt if it will ever come to fruition, at least from Special Hobby.  I have a few of the Meng F-102s and F-106s, so if they could do a comparable job on the swept wing Fury family, I'ld end up getting a few of those.  I have the Valom (and Rareplanes) FJ-1 so that part of the family is taken care of.

Later,

Dave

Cam Decals sheet 72-A009 has a large selection of 60° white lettering.  I believe Superscale also has a newer set of Navy and Marine titles in various sizes in white.  I just checked their website and the sheet is no longer available, but maybe somebody on e-bay has one available.

Later,

Dave

Another request for guidance and thought. It is for those who have built the Emhar/Matchbox FJ-4.

While I haven't got to the canopy stage yet, I can see from online images that neither the kit or the Pavla canopies fit that well. To me it looks like the area for attention is the windscreen section. Neither its "sit" or its framing seem to match those of the aircraft. Do others agree and, if you've built one, what did you do about it? I've been pondering and wonder if the F-100 equivalent is a better shape? Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for your input as always.

By the way, Dave (E8N2) "She will probably end up as a Memphis machine because that is the only place that I have seen any of these in real life. ". It looks like those I saw at Memphis NAS in 1982 were 4 x F-1E and just one AF-1E. It looks like I'll be sanding a bit more! ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Having looked at it, the kit canopy isn't far off! I re-checked the Pavla one and it really isn't like he aircraft at all. So I'll have a go at chopping the kit canopy so that I can have it open. My next challenge will be if the seat is now too tall! In that case it might have to be a kit front and a Pavla sliding rear. Let's see how I get on!

Martin

Hi again!

Further to my last post, does anyone in this community vac form objects to order? I don't have the skills or equipment and think that forming a new canopy around the jit one could work. 

Thanks. 

Martin