RAF Wessex HAR2

MickE

Hi Mick 

The bag is quite distinctive as noted above but it only goes up to the window lower ledge.

There are also large rubber grommets on the floor which hold it in place . If you check the reference pictures it appears often but you need to know what you are looking for. 

I made one for my SAR 5 using  PVA and tissue but thin plastic would be quicker . 

Colin 

Mick I think there're pictures of the liner in the 4+ book, I'll have a look later when I get up to the office

There are certainly pictures some place or I wouldn't have known about it

Edited by perdu
managing to clean an old post body from this newer one

I just checked and I'm right

P20 in the 4+ book and there's two colour pictures of the 'bag' inside a HAR2

Basically Sky coloured rubberised/pvcised with the green floor as in mine and to me it looks as if the wall covers go to the top of the windows/emergency exits

Some good shots of the kit carried too if you plan doing some of it Mick

Here is the next instalment.

I decided to add the waterproofing to the cabin so first I put the floor in, This was made with printer paper and painted green:

inside2_zpsmc9nm848.jpg

next, before I could do the cabin sides, I had to insert the HAR2 windows:

Sides_zpsjmczxx5g.jpg

And finally add the waterproofing:

bag_zpsniwurxfu.jpg

I didn't put any on the door as I was not sure if it was fitted. Does anyone know if it was?

I have inserted the cockpit assembly into the airframe and closed it up to see what the bag look like but to be honest I couldn't really see it!

That's all for today.

Mick

• Like 2

The door wouldn't have had no protection like the cabin. On the RN machines it was known as the sea tray. Similarly all the HU's had a sheet of ply to protect the cabin floor.

Colin

The main rotorhead GB is tilted forward and slightly to starboard on the real thing, something to do with rotor dynamics (9 and 3 degrees respectively if memory serves me). If you look at pics of a Wessex at rest and the blades are parked at 45 degree ie, two forward and two aft, then the front blade starbord sides tip is lowest to the ground and the opposite blade  ie, port aft is highest. Another thing to look for is that the blades do not always form a perfect crusiform.  The two advancing blades (stbd. side) lag back and the two retreating blades (port) lag forwards. It's all to do with drag.

Hope this is of soem use?

Colin

• Like 3

And to add to Colin's info, when parked the weight of the blades pulls them all forwards under the 'fluence of gravity

The longer it's parked the closer to the stops they get even if they're tip tied too I recall

I modelled my SAR2 in a very highly drooped form for fun, then when I got talking to an ex crewman at a show he said "oh yes they used to go like that"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MickE said:

Thanks for the explanation chaps - I was a bit worried that I would have to try and alter the rotor head which would be a bit difficult as I assembled the fuselage last night! :)

Mick

For once Italeri got something correct. However, they should have paid more attention to the H-34 in the Italian AF museum.

Colin

So I was all set to fit the cockpit transparency on. Just thought I would dry fit it to check the fit......the f$#%^#& things too wide on the top and twisted at the front! Anyone else have problems with it?

Hi

I did have a bit of an issue with the rear of the glazing joining the fuselage on the stbd side only. I cut it down and  installed a strip of 40 card along the back and this solved the problem. It was not really twisted though. 

Colin 

On 17/12/2016 at 20:00, MickE said:

So I was all set to fit the cockpit transparency on. Just thought I would dry fit it to check the fit......the f$#%^#& things too wide on the top and twisted at the front! Anyone else have problems with it?

You will have noticed that as well as Colin, Bob- Moaning Dolphin has been enduring problems with the cockpit windowery too  :(

I wonder if it is inherent with the Italeri kits along with bad tail rotor, short length and the wrongly positioned crew entry steps on the version I have?

bill

Can't help you there Mick, I only just got my fus, halves buttoned up on Wednesday and can't remeber what if any problems I had when I built my HAS Mk1. I'll let you know later today this is if I don't glue myself tothe model again like I did last evening. Too much syano...

OK thanks chaps. 

So I tried the hot water method and it did make it possible to bend the sides......And also shrink the bloomin thing!! Now I have ruined it. :'-( 

I have asked Italeri for a new windscreen, fingers crossed.

Mick