RAF Wessex HAR2

MickE

I have and thank you for all your help regarding vac forming a replacement, it was much appreciated. Fingers crossed that they send the piece in time to finish the kit before the deadline! ;-)

Mick

I have heard back from Italeri, they have posted the replacement part and said to expect it to arrive between 12 to 20 days later! Unfortunately that means that I will not be able to meet the finish date. :-(.

Mick

Ouch Mick, sad news, seems as though the Italian postal system suffers from the same disfunction as the one down here in South Africa! However I can still get a greetings card to the UK in around seven days and at far less cost.

I'm sure you'l be able to finish your build and post it in the WIP pages?

Colin

Mick, oh Mick...

Just a few minutes with some Milliput and you could have told Itathigy to do one with their useless service

:(

However you will soon get this finished and be banging out a nice Mossie or two

On 28/01/2017 at 2:55 PM, MickE said:

I have heard back from Italeri, they have posted the replacement part and said to expect it to arrive between 12 to 20 days later! Unfortunately that means that I will not be able to meet the finish date

Hi Mick,

if it will help, I have this kit in my stash and I can send you the part tomorrow, as long as you can replace it later.  I'm not going to start my build until the Spring at the earliest.   If that helps then send me a pm with your details.

Mike

• Like 3

Perdu

I wasn't confident enough to try and make my own canopy however I should not have the same problem with the mossie being as it is a Tamiya one. :).

Mike

Thanks for the offer I am tempted but I only have until the end of the week to finish and I know what will happen if I rush it. Therefore I will wait until the replacement turns up.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick when I was modelling XT601 I asked around and as I suspected the blade was said to be only yellow on the top surface

XR525 in Cosford has one blade with just the upper surface so decorated

I would suggest the blade being yellow to give a visible flicker effect for high visibility would make life very awkward for a pilot if it flickered underneath, 'specially if he had to fly close to cliffs or other obstacles

The film I've seen of rescue machine with a yellow blade shows that it really works for hi-viz situations

Well the canopy turned up on Saturday. It fitted a bit better than the original but was still too wide on the roof. While waiting for it I to turn up Istarted work on the rotors. I finished the tail rotor and sprayed the main rotor blades black underneath and the tops with a humbrol enamel colour that looked like Khaki drab but dried quite brown. After a couple of days I found a Tamiya Spray can of Khaki Drab 2 in my garage so I re-sprayed the blades. However when the paint dried it completely wrinkled so I had to remove all the paint using Mr Muscles oven cleaner. :swear:

Mick

Shame about that paint mishap, It seems that these kits are destined to cause more problems. Hopefully you can get back on track and I look forward to seeing this in the RFI soon.

Cheers now

bob

Hi Colin

As the deadline was passed I stopped work on the Wessex to finish my Trumpeter ZSU-57-2, which I did last night so I shall restart tonight by trying to fettle the canopy to look a little better than it does at the moment. With any luck I may be able to put the first coat of paint on as well.

Mick

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As we still seem to be able to post our builds here is my latest progress.

Yellow1_zpscto9iqmi.jpg

Yellow2_zpsbaeeotdp.jpg

I am still having problems with the rotor blades. After the problems with the paint I re-stripped and undercoated them then re-painted with a Humbrol Olive Drab shade however the paint was crap and also seemed to attract dust so I have had to strip them a third time! I shall be glad when this build is finished. Plus it is holding up my De Haviland GB entry.

Mick

• Like 1