RAF Wessex HAR2

MickE

Hi Colin

How things with you? We were talking about you at the club the other month wondering what were up to. That is not white metal it is part of the Rotor Craft (A2Zee models) resin conversion set to convert the UH 5 kit to an HAR 2.

Regards

Mick

Edited by MickE

Hi Bob it is the Xtradecal set no 48-000. It has 9 different aircraft on it however I am only building one aircraft and am unlikely to do another. I suppose I could always flog it - anyone interested?

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Mick , I'm still in Thailand working hard. I've done quite a bit of modelling as there is not much else to do most of the time. I'm a reformed modeller though, Planes helicopters trucks dioramas.I have even considered joining the gulf war SIG..

Thanks for the offer of the lower fuselage but I need the original with the sonar fairing . 

Colin 

Well I have made a start and built the cockpit. I was not initially sure what colours the cockpit was but luckily I found a walkround of a HAR2 Ser No XT604 which gave me what I needed. The Eduard zoom set was used for the instrument panels, throttles and seat belts.

seats_zps2g77iumu.jpg

bulkheads_zpsfxefegpo.jpg

cockpit_zpsciwml70c.jpg

panel_zps8rhbesat.jpg

Cheers

Mick

• Like 4

Thanks Colin. All thanks to Eduard for the panel although they are steadily pricing themselves out if they keep increasing their prices.

Mick

Edited by MickE
autocorrect error for spelling of Eduard
  • Like 1

Yes they are and they come pre-painted as well.

I have assembled the cabin. As you can see Colin the seat belts are pretty good for these seats as well.

cabin1_zpscwzahm3i.jpg

cabin2_zpsfkovquqm.jpg

I also added a cover to the rear doorway as I had seen on a picture online.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by MickE

and here is the finished interior:

Assembly2_zpshilkf997.jpg

Assembly1_zpsbaoatugo.jpg

I haven't detailed the transmission bay as it will be hidden when the model is finished. I added a scratch fire extinguisher in the cockpit and the front bulkhead of the cabin.

Regards

Mick

Edited by MickE

1 hour ago, MickE said:

Thanks Colin

I bet that hits you in the Wallet! Do you have access to any decent model shops near you or do you have to get everything off the net?

Mick

Hi Mick, nearest hobby shop is Cape Town 500 k south the next Johannesburh 1200 k north... I was in Bloemfontien (800 k) for our nationals a couple of months back and the hobby shop from Jo'burg was there so I stumped up for R600 worth of PE sets, ouch!

Thankfully I'm not a big PE fan just cockpits and seat belts, the rest I can scratch.

Colin

• Like 1

Thankfully I have the intergoogle... and a reasonably  good stash. We also have a local Kits, buy, sell or swap FB page. keeps the kits local and prices reasonable.

I'm going to try to come over for Telford next year with a friend, I'll stock up then. Stay with my bros in Swindon.

Colin

On 02/12/2016 at 10:00, MickE said:

Hey Perdu is that your 1/72 XT601 with the crewman sat in the door? it looks great; hope my 1/48 one looks as good

Mick

Hi Mick sorry I missed this in all the fretting bout Colin's trekking to his nearest model emporium

:(

Yes that is my version of XT601

As well as flt.sgt Orange it has its medic bagsand spare winch strops on the port wall the big yellow holdall on the deck and up in the rafters is the big reddy-orange stretcher

I kinda forgot where to stop. :)

The med bags hang in the space where the seats are missing 

I like your seats, the belts make all the difference

Hi Mick, if the door is shut you would still see the upperworks of the canvas seating i1/72 but probably not a lot more

When I did 601 I'd spent ages reading every on line item about the SAR Walters and I knew there was scope for lots of fiddly bits inside

SO naturally, being a mug I went for it

The usual ribs and pipes and wires and then on top the big plastic bag the interior is full of that keeps the airframe dry insides after dragging some poor sods out of the oggin

Side walls of the bag are a kind of Sky typeS colour and the interior floor has a dark green lining So I made them out of a big plastic bag and white glued them in place before I added the Recovery bags and first aid kits, both yellow and red types

And put a stretcher into the roof

I can put a few of my HAR2 build pics into my HAS3 notes if you like

SAR_Wessex5interior_bits_080.jpg

None of them have any artistic merits, as you see so I won't pollute your thread but if you want to see 'em I'll pop em in there or at the WIP here :  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234914338-xt601-wessex-sar2-a-portrait-in-progress/&page=3