Gerry Anderson Month - Angel and UFO Interceptors.

I have wanted to build these kits for some time now. During a sleepless night recently I visited a well known online bidding site that just happened have both of these kits for a moderate sum, so I grabbed them. I remember these spacecraft on TV as a kid and particularly love the UFO Interceptor. I re-visited the UFO series recently and was quite impressed at how punchy this was for a 70's TV show. 

I decided to build them together and have made a start. I intent to modify them both a bit, with cockpit details and other details that will give them an edge out of the box. I hope you enjoy them. 

IMG_8724.jpg

I have re-scribed the panel lines on the Angel Interceptor and tidied up the parts ready for the build. The kit snaps together and reminds me of the new Bandai kits. Although this one doesn't have the finess like its modern counterpart. However, I will glue all the parts. I am awaiting a cockpit from "Retrokits" that is designed to fit this model. 

IMG_8725.jpg

I have also re-scribed the UFO Interceptor. I gave it a quick squirt with primer to see the panel lines, as they are hard to see on the shiny white plastic. I have also added the guns on the nose from some stretched sprue. The tail end has had plastic strip added and a number of fuel lines constructed from lead and fuse wire. I will detail this a little more to give it extra depth. I have ordered a 1/72 A-7 coskpit which I will modify to fit the cockpit area on this as the cockpit provided is pitiful.

IMG_8754.jpg

IMG_8757_1.jpg

• Like 6

I purchased a resin cockpit to modify so I could fill the cockpit on the UFO Interceptor. When it arrived I realised I had bought a 1/72 cockpit. I couldn't bring myself to purchase another at the price, so decided to scratch build something instead. I have not gone for accuracy, but decided to make it look busy. The cockpit provided is average at best. The pilot figure is one I found in my spares box with a head from some old Star Wars kit. I used milliput to build the helmet and Tamiya tape for the straps. Once it is all painted I am sure it will look fine behind the canopy. 

IMG_8831.jpg

IMG_8834.jpg

IMG_8833.jpg

• Like 6

Not strictly accurate but I have added some more detail to an otherwise void area. You could see right into the fuselage so I blanked off the tail pipe and added some exhaust wholes.

IMG_8883.jpg

The cockpit is now painted and added. Very pleased with the result. Next is the canopy. It isn't a very good fit and looks a little small. 

If I could vac form I would do a new one. Alas, existing canopy will have to do.

IMG_8880.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

• Like 9

Superb cockpit! I built this kit a couple of years back which you can see here and did the same sort of thing in the cocpit but used some PE from a 1:72 Wellington bomber! I didn't rescribe so you've taken this further than I did and it looks excellent! I look forward to seeing the rest of the builds!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Superb cockpit! I built this kit a couple of years back which you can see here and did the same sort of thing in the cocpit but used some PE from a 1:72 Wellington bomber! I didn't rescribe so you've taken this further than I did and it looks excellent! I look forward to seeing the rest of the builds!

Hi Kallisti. I have seen your build thread. I even used it to reference some of the cockpit detail. I also tracked down the same pilot that you used and was going to do it up as you did. I managed to find some stuff in my spares box. I really like you base and am thinking of doing mine standing on the platform in the crater ready for take off. Thanks for your encouragement. I have added the white to the the body, and am tweaking some joins, and then it is down to business. I think I may end up having to make my own decals based on the sheet in the box. Cheers. 

• Like 1

This is great stuff.

I love everything Gerry Anderson. Had a bad experience of Bandai kits in the 80's, but if I had had a little skill, something good could have been made of them.

it may have been IMAI or another brand, but I really felt a FAB 1 Rolls had great potential, but needed a new canopy (not blue) and scratch built interior; no electric motor as provided.

Why were Dinky UFO interceptors metallic Green?! :o !

Fantastic stuff happening here :) .

Great work, looking forward to the rest

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

Always been a follower of Gerry Andersons shows.

Met him once at a cinema show and he brought some of the models along, incredible.

You are carrying that tradition of building these greatly designed models that seemed futuristic back then, I look forward to seeing more  . . . :popcorn:

• Like 1

The UFO interceptor has now got it first coat of white paint on. I have still to fill and sand some areas....seems to be all I am doing at the moment. Almost ready for a gloss coat and then some metaliser paint for the engine areas. 

IMG_8894.copyJPG.jpg

The Angel interceptor has taken a while to clean up. Parts fit is ordinary. The highlight so far has been the "Retrofitonline" cockpit and pilot resin set. The cockpit tub fits like a glove and there is no sanding and re-sanding to get ever thing lined up, it just drops right on in. The figure looks great too.....a little male looking but definitely has the "correct" female features...if you know what I mean. 

Just have to add the canopy, then prime and put down my first layer of white paint. Coming along nicely. 

IMG_8900.copyJPG.jpg

IMG_8904.copyJPG.jpg

IMG_8907.copyJPG.jpg

IMG_8908copyt.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update. The Angel Interceptor is nearly done, but will hold off on showing it. The UFO Interceptor is coming along nicely. Here it is in it's raw paint Scheme. The White is Tamiya matt white coated in future, while the metallics are Alclad Aluminium and Magnesium. Next up are the decals. 

IMG_8931.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8934.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Steven Pietrobon of the Airfix Tribute Forum used to (and may still) offer a set of improved decals for the Airfix Angel Interceptor.....They are more accurate and the colours are much nicer than the Airfix decals.  :nerd:

FWIW

PS - Great project BTW:thumbsup:

• Like 1