Colin W

Ahha the  missing link. I wondered how the rotors pointed in a circle if the leading edges all pointed down. The answer is the big red circle thing used to rotate the blades on their axis.

Many thanks. Its getting clearer every day.

Glued the lower fuselage on today and will put the nose on later.

Colin W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

No updates from me for a while but things are still moving along.

Fuselage halves have been joined and the bottom fitted. I deceded to fold the tail so I cut it off at the panel line and inserted 2 bulk heads after thinning the sides down.

Upstairs the cooling gills have been added with the camel fairing and radar dome fitted. I decided to use the plastic frame for the gear box cover so fitted this and then stuck the PE to the top. Looks good so perhaps this was what the instructions wanted. I did remove the internal frame from the plastic as this detracted from the PE.

The main nose parts were added to the fuselage halves of course but the nose cap needed to be fitted. I fitted the intake mesh and held it in place with a clamp then dabbed superglue round the edges to join. This worked well. Some Mr Surfacer 500 was required here and there to seal the gaps but no filler. Next step might be masking and undercoat. 

IMG_6116_zpsxcmkgzdb.jpg

IMG_6115_zpstyfonb7h.jpg

Colin W

• Like 3

Colin

I am following your build closely as it will definitely be the guide for me to use when I can find the time!

Are you planning to fit any external stores?   I will do mine as for the attack on ARA Santa Fe so will need 2 DC Mk11 - anyone any suggestions for a source of those in 172nd?

Francis

Hi Francis

I have been avoiding the stores issue for a couple of reasons. Mainly I dont usually fit stores as I travel with my models a lot and these are too easy to knock off. For Humphry I am aware of no available weapons so its a scratch build job for the stores. The complication is that in the FAA museum Humphry has a full set so its either stick to clean or carry on with the building. I think I'll hang on and see how I feel when I'm a bit furthur progressed. Fortunately the 4+ book has some really good drawings for scratch building. I don't know whats available in 1/72, maybe Heloman has more idea.

If you are following me for recomendations then here are 3 more.

Add the instrument panel before you fit the nose cap. Its very easy go drop in and almost imposible to get out.

Cut away the plastic in the gearbox cover then glue this in place before adding the PE. 

Dont worry too much about seams as most of them get covered by add ons in later steps!

Colin

Well a bit more progress here now.

I have finished off the fuselage including nose cover steps PE and most of the aerials. Windows and doorway masked in place but the cockpit canopy I have masked separately.

IMG_6121_zpsigx6krb0.jpg

Inside the canopy I have added the overhead consol with the rotor brake added to the Stbd side, silver with a red knob on the end. I have also added some Davey Clarkes head sets hanging from wires. Once the canopy is on I'll sit these on the seat backs.

IMG_6125_zpsumjwr8sm.jpg

I've also started the rotor head. As my blades will be folded I have cut these as per the instructions on the Scale Warships instructions and built the head assemble to start. I have added in the oil damper lines but will leave the rest until I have a better idea where the blades will go.

IMG_6122_zps6vw3mias.jpg

Colin W

• Like 5

Well I have spent today on the PE 3D parts from Scale Warship.

What you get in the packet.

IMG_6126_zps75brq0ul.jpg

For me it was the 3D parts which were a new concept in modelling.

IMG_6127_zpsshgxcq92.jpg

The PE parts required a proper bender, I have one from the Small Shop, there is no way I could have doine these with a pair of pliers.................

IMG_6130_zpsfsbn2twi.jpg

a pair of chain pincers....

IMG_6136_zpsm550izol.jpg

and the 'Helping Hand'.

IMG_6139_zpscedefehr.jpg

The instructions were OK assuming you had already had a go. In fairness they give you 5 blade supports but I would sill have preferred better instructions. They tell you to use a 0.04mm drill. Now I have a 0.4 but a 0.04! Thats a bit too fine for me. Fortunately its a typo and the 0.4mm is enough.

• Like 2

I thought I'd better post the above before Photobucket crashed. Anyway here is the rest of the work.

The completed PE set.

IMG_6140_zpsrmhnvz8u.jpg

Here are the 4 blade supports ready for installation on the frame, all sitting on one blade. The instructions say to roll the PE around a blade but this makes the fit too tight. I used a 2mm brass rod for the lower bend and the pliers for the top. Gaps will be filled with paint and CA glue.

IMG_6142_zpsbakkyapz.jpg

The fuselage support collar being test fitted before I added the rods in the pic above.

IMG_6129_zpsihbr4aww.jpg

The airframe is ready for a coat of primer now and I'll come back to the PE once the basic colours are done.

Colin

• Like 5

Hi Everybody and hope you had a good Christmas. 

No updates from me for a while as  Christmas was busy to the end but a chance to post some pictures of what was happing in the spare moments of last week.

I decided that with Humphry's history and current state of preservation I would have to go with the stores. Having the excellent plans in the 4+ book as well helper a lot with the motivation. Work started with the reinforcing plates being made from 20 thou sheet and glued in place. Holes were drilled in to take the brass rod which was cut according to the drawings and assembled in place with superglue. Having the base coat on helped the pictures to show the work. Humpry has a Mk2 on Stbd and a Mk1 on the Port so with the frames made from 0.75mm rod the pylons came from the spares bin. The Mk1 was a 1/24th truck fuel tank as it was chromed. The Mk2 was a bomb.

Also you will notice I made the gearbox cover drain channels and added these into a hole drilled in the corner of the vent.

Heres how she looks.

Starboard Side Mk2 with pylon. This is actually held in place but the latteral support and the main member sits in a saw cut made in the plastic. The winch mans light is added behind the winch frame.

IMG_6151_zpscyfgcy58.jpg

Port Side Mk2 frame work before adding the pylon.

IMG_6147_zps2ff4gpw1.jpg

Pylon now added complete with sway braces. I sandwiched a brass plate (PE Sprue) inside the pylon during assembly and this is rolled round the main member to provide strength.

IMG_6152_zpsvg4ji1sk.jpg

From the top. Note the relocated aerial hole.

IMG_6153_zpsiv0heh8s.jpg

There are some blobs on top of the main members port and stbd. I have to do these next but have no idea what they are. Does anyone know?

I have also added the aerials below the rear fuselage, some more hand holds and tie down points.

Some more work tidying up the winch next. 

Colin W

• Like 1

Hi Chaps,

I agee Wessex is looking  bit more aggresive with all the stores on the sides..

I have cracked on and added the winch. I decided the kit winch didn really look like the re thing so I made a new one from the bits box.

IMG_6182_zpscoe8gi0v.jpg

I thought the hydraulic piping was quite distinctive so I used some solder in 0.4mm holes to start it off above the door and then attached to the new winch in the right type of format. Looking at the pictures in 10x real size I think they can be tidied up a bit more but they'll do for now.

IMG_6178_zpsfyzvpvpv.jpg

Colin

• Like 3

Not much progress on Humphry this week as I managed to get a copy of 'Down South ' on my ipad and have been reading about the account of Humphry in South Georgia. At the time of the attack on the sub, the sonar and radar were fitted and 2 depth charges were carried. Spot on then.

Secretly I have been trying to use the superb mk 45 torpedo from Belcher Bits Lynx but I'll have to go with the scratch built depth charges.

Good book anyway for all the Wessex afficionado so. 

Colin w

• Like 1

Does anyone know what colour the rotors should be?

The implication is black but Humpry's gook grey with black leading edges and a distictly geen tail rotor!

It seems the light plays tricks. I have many pictures but the colours sem to vary depending on the picture.

Colin W

Have you tried the BM walkarounds?

Hundreds of fine photos in there including the rotor head shot I included in my recent posting

I like the weapons stations gear you are building, I suppose I have some of that to emulate on my HAS3 too