Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear Olivier regarding the color for the central fasteners : I will paint them in silver , like the fasteners of the Mef . The central cap looks different , and maybe was made out of brass , so it will be made out of thin brass sheet when I reach this state of my construction .The shape of the fasteners also needs some improvement by filing and sanding imho.

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Dear Hannes,

sorry, I did not translate my labels. Of course, my central fasteners won't be black, it is just a black primer before applying Alclad Stainless Steel. 

Regarding their central part, are you sure they must be brass?

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 1

Dear Olivier , it seems , my brass version is not correct . On all of our colored  paintings this central cap is shown in steel gray .

And this would make more sense as brass . In my opinion the fasteners were made out of full aluminium with a central steel core .

Many greetings !  Hannes

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

SHummel_C3517031216430_zpszitgx30k.jpg

Very good observation for the central fasteners, Hannes!

I admit I will not go so far, and will keep them as I have ever modified them, but you are right. It is quite obvious on photo 4, especially on the rear wheel. 

• Like 2

That is possible

But I find that most wheel spinner nuts of this period are machined out of solid steel. The wings have to be strong enough to take several blows with a 15lb [8kg] hammer to tighten them. I don't use these on my Austin, but the centre nut has to be tightened to about 90lbs torque

The nuts on one side of the car wil be different in shape to the other side; the thread is opposite, so that the rotation of the wheel is constantly tightening the spinner nut, therefore the flat and curve of the wings will be opposite in shape.

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , these are beautiful wheels !

Dear Fred , thanks for the explanations  !  I did not know  about the reversed wings for both sides .That´s very interesting for me because I intend to alter their shapes .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 2

Chaps,

Thought I'd just say hi as it's while since I posted anything. Progress is looking good. Love the wheels. This link http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/01-general-information/wire-wheels-worn-hub-and-wheel-splines/

shows a cross-section through a typical rudge/whitworth hub. If you type rudge-whitworth you will get loads of photos of modern equivalents of the fitting used.

For my I have still been trying to align the various images. The side view as ace but upset my complacent contentment with my then alignment. General precision is about 6mm FS which is good but frustrating at the same time.

One thing I've realised, though Olivier/Hannes you may already have understood this, is the chassis frame on drawing 2 appears to be about 20mm deeper than the built car. If true, they may have been looking for more stiffness. The fittings on the side of the chassis rails seem to have moved too.

Of course I could easily be wrong. When I have some images that make sense I'll post something

Keep up the good work

Regards

Nick

• Like 4

Dear Nick , the height of the frame also depends on the wheel sizes imho  : I´m not convinced if Anselmi´s informations regarding the wheel and tyre sizes are about the successor or about our 806 . In my opinion the tyres on drawing 2  could be smaller compared with those of the predecessor  .

It would be a very interesting project for the future to build the successor according drawing 2 .This is a very modern version  and I´m sure it would look great as a model .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Hannes said:

It would be a very interesting project for the future to build the successor according drawing 2 .This is a very modern version  and I´m sure it would look great as a model .

Personally, if I had the skills to build a model full scratch, I would prefer to make one of the predecessors of the 806, like the 804, fe. The evolution of the 806 is very close from the car that won the Milano GP with some differences we know now.

Thank you for your compliments about my wheels, and thanks again to Vontrips for his amazing tyres. Pity, we have no news from John...

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , your remarks regarding the 804 and 805 reminds me about their unknown fate .Does somebody know what happened to them ?

Did some of them still exist when our car was realized ? Were they destoyed together with the 806 ?

According Salamano´s version  "all racing cars " were destroyed by order of Agnelli and so their plans .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

That´s interesting :  In the " Grand Prix Cars Fiat 804 " article there´s a photo that shows a man behind the steering wheel who could be the same person who speaks with Bordino before the Monza GP. It seems to be engineer Rossi , perhaps Fornaca ( I don´t think so ) It´s the first photo at the end of this article .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Dear Roy,

can you give me the contact at Centro Storico, I am gonna try again (in italian) to get an appointment to look at their archives.

I intend to go to Torino soon with Pascale, my wife.

Of course, I would be very pleased if I could meet there one or several members of our team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hannes said:

Dear Olivier , your remarks regarding the 804 and 805 reminds me about their unknown fate .Does somebody know what happened to them ?

Did some of them still exist when our car was realized ? Were they destoyed together with the 806 ?

According Salamano´s version  "all racing cars " were destroyed by order of Agnelli and so their plans .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Dear Hannes

I suppose these cars were indeed destroyed in the same time than the 806. 

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , that´s what I believe too . What a loss ! Regarding that man : It´s not impossible it could have been general director engineer Fornaca. He was present when Bordino drove his first turns on that old military compound in the early year 1927  and not in a hospital . The 804 was designed for the new opened Monza circuit in 1922 .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Hello guys,

I increased the height of the oil tank to match the height of the tank shown on drawing 2.

fiat001_zpsh9cjwp9c.jpg

...and moved the "furniture" on top of it a bit.

The reversed U shaped pipe moved forward and more to the centre of the tank.

Because of the cutting, filling and sanding I had to make about 75 new bolt heads with my ancient hex punch and die set.

A dark grey base before applying the aluminium. I use the Vallejo Metal Color range.

I dislike the chrome paint on some of the kit parts...removed with oven cleaner.

Because of the surgery I had to demolish the floor plate, I'll make a new one from Evergreen sheet.

More soon and thanks for watching.

Robin

• Like 3

Dear Robin , that´s impressive and I like it .Before making a new plate you should think about what you intend to do with your model imho.

There´s a gap at the right front of this plate . This gap could get closed , if you intend to remove the support for the steering lever from it´s wrong place and shift the steering case with it´s lever to the place , where it belongs : Near the first engine mounting point ! If you use veneer for showing the boards of the wooden floor I suggest to fix a black  self-adhesive foil onto this plate .This looks much better because there are small gaps between the boards and you also can remove the whole floor if the result does not convince you .

I recommend to use wood oil for this veneer or for  wooden planks .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Thanks Hannes,

I'll use 5mm wide 0,5mm thick oak deck planking strips for the floor planking...on a black base plate.

bireme%20build115_zpsl1pvs06g.jpg

Did some "wood working" recently :P

Not sure I'll move the steering shaft, but I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Robin

• Like 3

Dear Robin , your wooden planks look great ! I forgot to mention :If you intend to build the frame according drawing 2 there will be more width between the rails.

If you look closely to our photos , you will see , that the bodywork is somewhat smaller as the rail distance and a tiny ledge can be seen . In this case a bit wider floor would make sense imho. Of course the whole bodywork must get bended and altered first and the frame too . It´s the question how far you want to go .It´s doable !

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Dear Hannes,

About the man near Bordino, if you think about the one with the cap, it is Felice Nazzaro, one of the first (and most famous) Fiat drivers, who, like Vincenzo Lancia, decided to build his own cars, but, in his case, to drive them himself in competition. You can see him on the photo below driving a 804 in 1922. This photo is on p. 57 of Sebastien Faures excellent book...

Vzg35v.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you dear Olivier : I think , I will buy Sebastiens book too. Pity it´was not translated in English or German but the photos alone are surely worth the price !

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

I have been seeing the Centro Storico internet site. I see it is opened only on sunday...  Maybe with a rdv, I could go another day (I have to be at Marseille on sunday 16 april afternoon). 

Centro Storico Fiat

Via Chiabrera 20, Turin
Phone: +39 011 00.66240
E-mail: [email protected]

Visiting days and hours:
every sunday
10.00-19.00
FREE ENTRY

•  

•  

•  

• Like 1