This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Roy vd M.

Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

2,080 posts in this topic

I am very glad of my poster's idea. You can compare very easily and instantly the different pictures. For example, I have been improving still a bit my seat fairing (as difficult to shape as the main one...) and looking the different views is very helpful.

The same to check after Hannes comment on slanted line. 

1 person likes this

Dear Olivier , it´s even better if you print out the photos in the same size as your model ( in DIN - A 3 , twice the size as your copies )  That´s very useful especially regarding our new side-view photo!

The wheelbase should be the most important issue when doing this .

It also gave me the opportunity to check out the scale I´m working with. It´s exactly 1: 11 ! In this scale wheels and tyres have very good alignements , same goes for many other parts of the kit .

The wheelbase is almost 22 cm long , so the overall lenght compared with an exact 1 : 12 -model differs about 20 mm.

It´s not too much if you compare it with the additional efforts required for a scale reduction imho .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

it´s even better if you print out the photos in the same size as your model ( in DIN - A 3 , twice the size as your copies ) 

Of course, but I don't have a printer that accepts the a3 size. And the drawback is that my posters would begin to take a lot of room! The main goal of these posters is to make instantaneous comparisons between docs.

But for the most important docs, and especially photo 28, I think I will follow your hint and go to a stationery that will be able to make A3 size impression.

The problem of changing the scale is that for example the body should be enlarged, it was ever not exactly wide enough at 1/12. I don't think I will, just modifying the transmission arms lenghts, because itb would mean too many changes.

Personally, my scale is precisely 1/1125, because it is with this scale that I get good dimensions for wheels, bonnets and tail, but we can have slightly different measures.

All the best

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
1 person likes this

I have changed my mind about applying my red over the True Metal Silver. Some tests have shown there are important risks to remove some parts of red paint removing masking tape that will be necessary, in particular to paint the "15" number. So, a thin primer coat will be applied under the red. Maybe, if tests are good, I will apply on this primer a coat of metallic paint before applying the red.

About that problem of masking tape, my experience is that the Tamiya one is not the best to avoid this problem of removing paint. Its tack is not low enough. I prefer  the Tesa professional Precision Mask, less expensive and with a lower tack. But even with this one, there were risks with my red paint. Pity, I liked very much the metallic effect of True Metal under the red.

1 person likes this

After studying and comparing our new photo 28  my sum total is as follows :This photo is very  useful and also means a great step into the right direction.

But you should be cautious not to transfer everything you measure to your model imho . Especially at it´s borders there seem to be some minor differences compared with other photos .

In my opinion the tail´s end , the topline of the radiator case and the height of the fairing should be only seen in combination with other informations .

The error margins in these regions are about 1-2 mm imho .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
1 person likes this