Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

3 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

after the photobucket debacle my build progress pictures have disappeared. Luckily i have a few which are not on Photobucket ( we can not download pictures anymore to move them elsewhere ) so i will probably start again a part 2 on a new thread.

They (at least a big part of them) have not disappeared, are merely invisible by default; you can install this fix for Google Chrome: click here 

Then the photos (or, those who haven't been deleted) will be visible again. For example, this photo is not visible in my Safari browser but I do see it in Google Chrome (after installing the fix). 

37543166300_ff512cc860_b.jpg

(The reason you're seeing it now is that I saved it and uploaded it into my Flickr account, as an example; if you like me to delete it please  let me know)

My advise: enjoy this facility as long as it works (and as long as Photobucket isn't bankrupt), save all pictures and upload them to a site maintained by a company that knows how to treat its customers right. A few months ago, after the Photobucket drama, I wrote this brief guide on using Flickr. But that's just one source for a solution.

@Olivier de St Raph I like that you're improving on the paint and would have done the same. The others are definitely right though, don't go too far. But you received criticism which may be just and you're now improving on the basis of that criticism. I admire that.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

They (at least a big part of them) have not disappeared

Dear Roy, 

Thanks a MILLION !

yes by all means keep them in your Flikr account! i will soon create a no.2 thread (unless i can revive the pictures on the same thread).

Do you recommend i should also switch to Flikr ?

great you did the 1 day tank built, i look forward to the Delage progress and am sure so are many people.

Dear Olivier,

Yes great you got rid of orange peel ! your car deserves it (like L'oreal for some people). 

You asked how it happens; it seems it is due to different factors on how one handles the airbrush, plenty of youtube about this. 

Dear Hannes,

Craddle : this is very similar to my Mef. cradle. I incorporated 'screws' so it is very stable and i can 'unscrew' when i need to remove the chassis at will. 

Cheers to all

Sam

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

I like that you're improving on the paint and would have done the same. The others are definitely right though, don't go too far. But you received criticism which may be just and you're now improving on the basis of that criticism. I admire that.

Thanks Roy to understand my decision, definitely not easy to take. And many thanks for your tuto to solve the problem with Photobucket. I am sure I was right to take such a decision. Look at photo 9, the paint is bright, look too at the 805 below, the paint is bright too:

5hwHE6.jpg

@Hannes

Thanks a lot Hannes for the scetch. I will probably have other questions about the Mef...

@sharknose156

Thanks dear Sam for your kind words above. I will look at your tuto (I remember your amazing floor and body) for the Mef...

About the paint, I made trials: impossible to get a really perfect paint bright and without any grain imho just by applying the paint. On the other hand, I can get this very good bright state of surface by using the white Tamiya polishing compound (not the 2 other ones that would remove too much paint) on my X7 enamel thinned with the Lacquer thinner:

MI0zTy.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Roy, 

Thanks a MILLION !

yes by all means keep them in your Flikr account! i will soon create a no.2 thread (unless i can revive the pictures on the same thread).

I only uploaded one. Yesterday I saved several of your photos (first few pages) to my hard disk, as I had saw that several of them had been deleted. 

Just uploaded the photos to my Dropbox, click here to save them. You can sort them chronologically, that's the order in which they appeared in your topic. So what you could do to restore your topic is, upload those pictures to Flickr or another host, and then replace the old links. You'd have to do that manually... not a nice job but I think it would be worth it. 

Do you recommend i should also switch to Flikr ?

I'd recommend Flickr any day. 

great you did the 1 day tank built, i look forward to the Delage progress and am sure so are many people.

Thanks, I saw your reply; yet have to respond to that. My question there would be which tool you used as 'turned engine maker'. Perhaps I have tried that too (I have an idea which it could be) but perhaps, more interestingly, I could use it with slightly larger diameter now and with an abrasive. But I will come back on that in that topic ;) 

Yes the 12 hour build was a lot of fun :)

6 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Just uploaded the photos to my Dropbox, click here to save them.

Thank so much ! Will work on this tomorrow when i am home and get a Flikr membership.

Will also upload a picture of the turning results and tool as well.

I used a small pointed rubber head and held the plate in my hand very briefly under a vertical proxxon at a speed of about 7000 RPM. It is not perfect but from 20 cm it creates the desired turning effect (to my taste) and different shines and rows.

Cheers

• Like 2

I have used Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr Color Leveling thinner with my airbrush (0,4 mm nozzle) to improve the state of surface: it is much better now on this area.

I had been so focused on shape and details that I had not taken enough care to this important aspect. After drying, a light sanding will be done, then a new coat of Alclad alu and finally red.

MV61dz.jpg

• Like 2

Finally, the state of surface of my Mr Surfacer 1000 was so good that I did not sand again, and applied directly the alu Alclad. Notice the bonnet support damaged by the sanding operation (collateral damage...) that I will have to replace... Notice too the little holes I have drilled to localize the situation of the right windscreen support

kzGYIW.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , did you find something out regarding Massimino ?  The journalists from Genova  could probably help to unravel some secrets.

I´m currently about to alter my heavy bodywork by removing parts with thick walls and replacing them by thin sheets . This way I will create the illusion of a realistic bodywork .

It´s not easy but I think it´s worth the effort . Do you intend to create a new thread for your Mef´s construction ?

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1

Dear Hannes,

I have been on the site you mentioned, but I admit I did not contact them up to now. They seem to be themselves searching for documents about Massimino, I will try to contact them.

I am sure your build will be amazing when it will be over, you could post some pics here...

About the Mef, I don't know yet if I will create a new thread. 

• Like 1

Mail sent to automotive masterpieces just now:

Buongiorno,

mi presento, Olivier Pansieri, odontoiatra ma anche modellista. Ho realizzato, con l’aiuto di un gruppo di modellisti appassionati (forum Britmodeller « 806 research and scratchbuild ») ricerche approfondite sulla Fiat 806 concepita da Alberto Massimino. Abbiamo trovato documenti che potrebbe essere utili per il vostro progetto. Puo darsi avete cose che no abbiamo mai, cosi, potremmo dividere i nostri documenti.
La ricercha che abbiamo fatto mi ha permesso di presentare un modellino che, 90 anni dopo l’ultima corsa di una Fiat (4/9/1927 a Monza), è certamente la più fedele replica della Fiat 806, partendo dal kit Italeri al 1/12, molto inesatto. 
Sono certamente anche il primo ad aver rappresentato Pietro Bordino, il Diavolo Rosso, nella macchina.
Anche se il mio modellino e quasi finito, tutto documento, foto, informazione sarà benvenuto. 

Molto cordialmente

• Like 1

A new Mef thread could be the opportunity to build the most realistic Mef in the world , There are so many Mef models on the net and  most of them are not convincing at all .An laudable exception is Sam´s version  but it will take some time till it´s finished . My model is not perfect but I made a lot of experiences , that´s why I could help not  to make the same mistakes again like other modelers .

You will need hundreds of rivets, bolts nuts washers tubes and so on , that´s why I consider the Knupfer shop as the best partner for improving the Mef

Many greetings !  Hannes.

• Like 1

Ok Hannes, a new challenge in prospect... I will probably do that, with your help!

I hope I will get a reply from automotive, I was very disappointed by the Veteran Car Bordino's attitude (but I could only get a secretary by mail, I can't help thinking she was not very concerned by the subject, and this is very frustrating).

And I am waiting for another reply (don't want to say more for now) that, up to now, did not arrive...

My model should be definitely over (for good this time!!) in less than 10 days, the time for me to finish all corrections necessary after my body improvements (state of surface) and repainting job (more gloss finish).

Then I will do my last photos and maybe photos by a pro photographer.

And, if no one is interested to publish an article, book or anything (what I would regret), I will probably begin a new project, that should be the Mef indeed.

All the best 

Olivier

• Like 1

I hope , these Italian journalists could help you to publish a report or a book about our research . I really wonder why there was no resonance from the Italian modeler and racing enthusiasts  scene till now .

It´s their history and there are so many Tifosi in Italy . Oliver Strebel -Ritter also did not yet respond  regarding the origin of the master model . But I believe that you will get an answer by automotive .

Fingers crossed !   Hannes

• Like 1

The ultimate version of my model on the angle of view of our photo 4:

the state of surface has been improved, in particular on the fairing, the fuel cap was still improved too, and the paint is brighter, without excess anyway (I finally renounced to use the Tamiya finish compound that would have given a very bright paint). Notice that, finally, I decided to apply the escape traces on the digits. Indeed, even if my previous option had its logic, it created a weird perception. The photo is HR (RAW mode, manual settings).

sa9RbI.jpg

• Like 4

I have noticed I made a mistake with the lenght of the spring and the bonnet support: the photo 3 enlargement shows that the spring must be longer and the tail of the support shorter (different from the rear support)

My previous front support:

si3WIo.jpg

The photo 3 enlargement:

TVsigW.jpg

My new version: the spring had to be redone and the support modified:

DT4AHv.jpg

Of course, I had to make the same correction on the left side:

cNpqPz.jpg

• Like 2

My last steps before I consider my model definitely over are:

- re engrave the separation between bonnet and body on the right side  (I am waiting for razor blades ordered on ebay for that)

- redo the rear bonnet support, that had suffered of my re painting job

- re cement the left bonnet opened.

Then, promised, I will stop with this amazing construction. I will complete the photos (that is why I made only left side ultimate photos) and my model will return in my round showcase.

I had no news up to now from anyone to whom I wrote these last times, and in particular from the automotive... :huh:

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , it almost looks like a conspiration ! Noone seems to want to provide us with informations . The Rogliatti interview with Massimino is the most important historical document we have imho .

Let´s wait some days and try again to contact automotive because I´m sure Rogliatti had more informations than written in his article . If automotive does not want to help us , they should tell us at least .

When I was sending an email to Oliver Strebel-Ritter he made excuses for not replying my questions on his phone . But as it seems he did not find out the origin of the master model or is not interested to share informations . A wall of silence ... too bad !

In my opinion the contact with Italian motorsport journalists or authors is the most promising way for gathering  new informations .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Our photo 28:

R2GK1k.jpg

My previous "photo 28" version:

r1yUrl.jpg

My ultimate one: notice the plate added under the body, the fuel cap improved, the state of surface improved on the fairing and the bonnet support replaced:

XBQqkG.jpg

I have done the last steps of my model, I am happy to tell you that my build is now definitely over!!

I will do the last photos, will probably call on a pro photographer, and then I should begin the Mef...

• Like 3