Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear Olivier,

Beautiful work once again,  my friend!!! You have re-created a unique piece of Grand Prix history that has not been seen for 90yrs! 

Congratulations!:thumbsup:

Hannes, thank you so much for the 451/2 engine plans, they are inspiring me to build the "car-that-never-was"! It's just a shame that no photo's exist of this power-plant.

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , I found a possible source of informations regarding the engineer Alberto Massimino .

The automotivemasterpieces . com -group intents to write a biography on him . The title is : 2025 : 130 th anniversary of the birth of Alberto Massimino .

This group ´s adress is in Genova , Italy thats why I want to ask you if you could get in contact with them .

After the dissapointing experience regarding the Bordino Veteran Club this could be an opportunity to find out more . ( descendants , documents and so on )

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1

Enlargement of the fuel cap on photo 3:

Ipdzj7.jpg

The cap on the OOB version: no comment...

tlb9WH.jpg

I was not very glad with the cap on my PSB. Compared with our photo 3, it had to be improved (base not wide enough, cap too height, handle too short and too thick)

X5Sovd.jpg

Luckily, I had another 45E part (step 32). I have cut it in the middle with a fine diamond disc. I have thrown away the base, too thick and not wide enough. To replace it, I have used a 0,75 mm thick tin foil (a posteriori, a still more thin would have been a better choice) in which a 8 mm round piece has been got with a die.

On this new base, I have glued after preparation (removing molds marks and thinning) the up part of the cap.

But the handle had to be improved too: not lo,g enough and too thick: studying with care the enlargement above, I have improved this part too.

Omovha.jpg

Here is my final cap, much better than the first version, still not perfect but looking much more like the cap on the car. 

5m7saI.jpg

A black outlining has been applied around the cap with Vallejo 950 acrylic and a fine paintbrush to represent the "hole" we can see on the photo 3 enlargement. My cap is over. Unless...

Anyway, one more time, I would not have done this correction if I had not done the OOB and done the comparison photos... Will this correction be my last one??

OZqfMy.jpg

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Hannes said:

Dear Olivier , the adress is : Via Rivoli 5/2 16128 Genova  and VAT 022555 10998 .

They have a single homepage and ask the reader for sharing informations .  Hannes

Thanks Hannes,

After my sunday contest, I will consider my build really over and I will try to contact them. I will also take another initiative but ssh! I won't say more before I get (I hope) something concret. We have been so many times disappointed by the lack of interest of our interlocutors...

• Like 1

After the comparisons with some of our best docs, I will now focus on details. 

First focus: the steering wheel backview: you will notice, in addition, the very bad shape of the cockpit on the kit, with this wrong fairing and many other differences:

OOB: notice that a decal is missing on the dashboard, I had a problem when applying it (my fault) and I asked Italeri immediately to send me another decal sheet. It was last 30/09, and I am still waiting... It should arrive soon I hope!

Notice furthermore that the windscreen, where it is placed, would not protect the driver from wind and rain...

0zmLLP.jpg

PSB: you will notice that I have replaced the base of my fuel tank cap, that was too thick. I have used a 0,36 mm thick tin foil instead of the 0,75 mm. Indeed, on the photo 3 enlargement, the base does not almost exceed the surface of the body. I still have to redo the outlining, that I will do tomorrow morning. Furthermore, I have applied a new varnish coat, modifying the mix between the satin and the gloss, to get a more bright surface. The ratio was this time gloss 5/8 satin 3/8 instead of 50/50. 

2OrTh8.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Olivier,

It is good that you improved the fuel tank cap, you can also add two small bolt heads, as in the enlarged picture...it will be more realistic, very easy.

https://www.prime-miniatures.co.uk/home

You are right Sam, I will add them!

• Like 2

My final photo on this view angle (photo 3): notice, in addition to the fuel tank cap, the plate added under the body. On the photo 1 particularly, it was obvious that there was such a plate. Hannes has suggested above a construction for this plate. I have used an alu foil, 0,38 mm thick, in which I cut first a 6,5 x 6,5 mm square. Then I had to adapt it, as the underbody is not squarre, and finally I glued it in place. For now, it is not painted red. I wonder what I should do about painting. I am not sure the underbody was painted (why would they have painted it?). Your suggestions on that point will be welcome...

UfaqnX.jpg

• Like 2

Enlargement of the cap on photo 3, showing that my cap is quite good now, but not perfect because of the upper part, too height and not large enough. I think I will leave it like that anyway. Unless...

piDjQN.png

I recall the OOB version of this cap is this:

7ozn4K.jpg

• Like 2

I have applied a coat of Alclad mix dark and white alu on my underbody including the plate added. Should I leave it like that or paint it red??

In any case, a quite strong weathering will be done of course...

kYpkQJ.jpg

N.B: I must glue again the tiny wire running on the left side (on the right side on the photo)

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 3

I think it is very doubtful that the floor would have been painted, but, yes...a strong weathering will be needed. I also just noticed something...you haven't heat-stained the white numbers at the exhausts tips. 

Great job btw!:thumbsup:

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Dear Harvey,

thank you very much for your kind comment and your opinion about the underbody.

About the digits, it is voluntarily that the digits were not concerned by the stain traces. The digits have been painted at the last moment, as shows our photo 12, taken a few hours before the race, on which the paint has still not been applied, while the car has arrived at the Monza circuit.

As my scene takes place just a few hours after these digits have been painted, they are not concerned by the traces.

All the best

Olivier

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , if I were you I would retouch one photo of the right side .This way we could see the car without an open left bonnet . An vitual impression how the car looked with closed bonnets will make your model even more interesting . You will probably need a pro photographer for this retouching measure .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2