Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Very well done Olivier !!

actually now seeing the comparison, indeed Italeri could have done a much better job with not too much efforts in research before making the moulds...

Olivier, You did a marvellous job for both the real version and the OBB

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Some things still puzzle me somewhat, such as the long steering rod that seems to be longer on the photo

I agree with you, Roy, and just find out that.  It is true that the steering rod 17B (step 26) should be a bit longer, and the crescent steering arm is not very good too, even if much better than the kit's one. My PSB (partial scratch build) is definitely not perfect, even if I am anyway proud of the result.

• Like 1

Let's go on with our photo 3. One more time, merciless comparison for the OOB: the tail, the rear "louvres", the exhaust, the big tyres, the spokes, the awful steering wheel, the huge knob, the big seat upholstery buttons, the big leaf springs supports with huge nuts etc.

t3R7Kf.png

My PSB is happily much better. Though, I am not 100% glad with the steering wheel, that should be a bit closer from the fairing on the right side, and above all whose screen should be larger. I was wrong trusting on the 1CF kit's part dimensions...

And now, a little game for you: before doing this photo of my PSB, I have done a correction, adding a detail (or more precisely 4 x 1 detail...) 

I post again the last photo I made on this view angle to help you. Do you find the details added? Hawk Eyes should find... :D

Notice in the same time how the red is different following the cardboard used. I have renonced to the black one that gave a wrong red, and an overexposed white driver's suit. Only a good photographer (I am still thinking about asking a pro to make photos) could do good photos with such a dark cardboard.

EMgWPD.png

7b2yFi.jpg

P.S: the beige cardboard does not restore really the red of my PSB, giving a bit "pinky" red, even if much better than the black. I am gonna try with other cardboards colors...

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 3

Dear Hawk Eyes,

I was sure you would find. And because you deserve this name, it won't be difficult for you to see what correction I had to do (done just now) on the left side. This time, it is not something I had forgotten... I precise that on the photo, the correction was not yet done.

u1PIBb.jpg

• Like 2

No, sorry, it was this: the up three-point star had lost one rod.

cFMzLy.jpg

It was difficult, I admit...

Before going on Harvey's thread, I post this comparison with our photo 4, showing precisely the left side:

BwM8VW.png

and the OOB:

o6ieq4.png

Comments:

- I am very glad of my PSB on this view angle, except the shape of the exhaust, especially on its front part, that is not good. I was right hearing Hannes and removing all the rivets on the fairing. Another detail that could be improved a bit: the wheels fasteners should be a bit smaller, while the round central part should be a bit wider. These comments should be, as the one about the steering wheel I made above, useful for Hannes, Harvey, and all the ones who will build this model.

- OOB: besides the already mentioned points (wheels, tail...) we can see on this left view that the fairing and the cockpit shape are completely wrong. It was a big work to get something convincing on both of them. The left "louvres" are still worse than the other ones, as they are not where they should be. And the tank cap too. Both should be more frontal.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

I agree with you, Roy, and just find out that.  It is true that the steering rod 17B (step 26) should be a bit longer, and the crescent steering arm is not very good too, even if much better than the kit's one. My PSB (partial scratch build) is definitely not perfect, even if I am anyway proud of the result.

I have decided to improve that part of my PSB. The long steering rod (not long enough) will be replaced by a longer one and the crescent shape will be improved too. More soon...

12 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Another detail that could be improved a bit: the wheels fasteners should be a bit smaller, while the round central part should be a bit wider.

I have painted dark metallic grey (mix XF 56/ X1 enamel Tamiya) the ring around this central part. This simple step improves the look of the fastener, closer now from the real one.

In the same time, I try the light grey cardboard.

Before: here, I used a light blue

BlRRuW.jpg

After: notice the central fastener that seems wider and so much better. Furthermore, this light grey is up to now the best imho to restore not only the red but also the white suit and all colors generally on my PSB.

QnPLDI.jpg

• Like 4

the light grey does bring out the color better than the previous. have you tried a very pale yellow? Benjamin-Moore-Color-05.gif

at the risk of raising your ire, the driver is detracting from the car much more than the minutiae which you are fixating.

Dear southpier,

do you mean you too (like Sam, fe) think the driver was not only unnecessary, but decreases the interest of the whole build ?

Or do you mean that with a light yellow cardboard, the contrast of the white dress could maybe be softer?

(in any case, no ire to fear)

This is of course a personal feeling but I don’t regret having represented Bordino, even if the figure is not perfect, I think it brings humanity to the model, over the tribute to this great driver.

I used a white cardboard and it seems to me still a little better than the light grey one, giving the real blood red of my 806. And details are well restored. Notice that the front long steering arm 17B is missing, to replace it as I said before...

31IeHq.jpg

• Like 2

Roy had noticed with right that my front steering arm was a bit too short. It is true that I had not extended it, while I had extended the path. I have replaced the kit's part 17B by a 3 mm diameter alu tube, 8 mm longer:

mlbnnu.jpg 

Before:

pZ7hUX.png

After: notice that I have also replaced the fixing nuts on top that were too big, and reworked my left connector arm (not yet very good), inspired by the enlargement below from our photo 2 VHR (pity, we just see the low part of this arm). I will have to add a little nut on top front of the modified right crescent arm.

c7nbCV.jpg

gYUDci.png

• Like 3

This enlargement shows that the connection between the crescent shape and the horizontal steering tube "16B" was not well placed: the connection must be at the bottom of the crescent shape (red arrow). I still had to decrease the thickness of 136D (step 23). When doing these comparison photos, my intention was not to bring new corrections, but, even if I won't be able to improve all what would be necessary (the steering wheel, in particular), I am happy to have still improved a bit my model, getting it closer from the truth. 

Thank you Roy again for this kit at low price, if I didn't have done this OOB, I would not have done these necessary corrections...

g6RYIV.png

After correction: I have added too the nut missing on top of the crescent arm...

0uiyeG.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Thank you Roy again for this kit at low price

Thank you for paying me a reasonable price!

As I said before I'm glad that this kit was built, in my stash it wouldn't have been.

Also you have got amazing stamina. Still making corrections... incredible. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Roy, very kind!

« Hâtez-vous lentement, et, sans perdre courage, Vingt fois sur le métier remettez votre ouvrage : Polissez-le sans cesse et le repolissez ; Ajoutez quelquefois, et souvent effacez. »

Boileau gave that recommendation about writing, I applied it for this build, with the help of everyone here...

• Like 1

Through 4 photos, I wanted to show the work done to get an acceptable (I dare not say convincing) Pietro Bordino.

Photo 1: The Sir Lawrence Minichamps resin 1/12  figure:

B6EFLW.png

Photo 2: The first steps...

2taCv8.jpg

Photo 3 and 4: in last june, my figure is nearly over:

6EAR8U.jpg

4He4J6.jpg

• Like 2

please don't think the figure is not beautifully done. I simply think it competes when trying to notice all the details on the car itself.

like the model railroads are fond of saying "Rule #1 - my railroad, my rules"

seems like the figure has found a happy home.

as far as "yellow", I always thought yellow (undercoating) intensified red, so figured a pale yellow background might do the same for the auto body color.

• Like 1

Thanks southpier to have specified your thought (the difference of language may be source of misunderstandings). Anyway, I would have respected your point of view if, like Sam, you had a poor consideration for my driver. I would have just been a bit sad for that. 

I personally don't suscribe to the point of view that the driver competes with the details of the car, but I understand it. It is a fact that people (especially non modelers), when looking at my model, will usually spend less than 1 minute (sometimes much less...) and in that minute, they will consider both the car and the driver.

But maybe they will spend a bit more because there is the figure to consider in addition to the car.

Now if you consider the time I spent on this build (probably not far from 1000 h including photos, the thread, mails etc.), should I consider I spent so much time for people who will look at it just a few seconds?

So, without ignoring the eyes of others, very important, the modeler - it is anyway my conception - must do what he wants for his own satisfaction, and must have fun doing the model. There is a kind of strong empathy with the models I build, and, reading Sebastien's book, and especially the importance of P. Bordino, I had the idea to represent him in the car. I had fun doing so, and I admit I am quite proud of the transformation I made from Sir Lawrence figure. Imho, it is a plus for my build.

About the cardboard, first I don't have light yellow cardboard (I could buy one), but overall I am very glad with the white one: it not only restores very well the red (exactly the same) but seems to increase the details (and pity, also the defects...) when the black one erased them. I will go on with the white one. Thank you anyway...

In 1 week, my build should compete in the Hyères Maquett'expo. I am gonna try to still improve some details and do corrections until then, and continue the set of comparisons with our best docs. I will bring my OOB, Sebastien's book and comparisons photos too.

In a way, I feel I will represent all of you there, and I worry a bit, but it is also very exciting and I will be glad to share with other modelers flesh and blood. Internet is great, allowing us to share as we did (could the modelers in the 80's imagine such a thing?), coming from everywhere, with a common language (I improved a lot my english thanks to this thread, as I improved photography). But meeting modelers flesh and blood is of course very pleasant too.

Sorry if I was a bit... talker!

• Like 2

I go on our set of comparisons with now our VHR photo 2 (very difficult to get the same view angle):

ntCfuh.png

To get a closer look at my PSB, I have removed the OOB: the axis of the hand brake must  be improved, and the wheels fasteners remain a little too big. I will try to improve that. Of course, some other details are not perfect (the brake cable should meet the protection shield more backward, fe), but if you compare with the OOB, it is really good imho.

1iGsWV.png

• Like 2

I know you are right CC, and that is why I won't modify some details such the screen on the steering wheel, or the left exhaust, despite that I am disappointed by them, but when improvements may be done without too much risk, I do them... ;)

I prefer clearly my hand brake stick now (orange arrow). Don't take in consideration the vertical steering rod (red arrow), I was still not glad with that too, and I will rework it (happily, it is made of tin, soft, allowing bendings...). If you want this arm to be correct in frontal or 3/4 view, you have to decrease really a lot 136D, much much too thick. I did it, but still not enough, and it is this part that prevent the vertical steering arm to have the right shape...

qDxKCt.png

• Like 4