Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear southpier and Harvey,

it is true that the model, even OOB, doesn't look so bad. It would be the last straw if people preferred this version !!! :D

Thank you for the hint about lubricants...

If I decided to write a book, a little chapter could be dedicated to the OOB....

• Like 1

Dear modeler friends ,

my last contribution on this thread is about informations .

I contacted Oliver Strebel-Ritter , president of world collectors and author of a book about the modeler family Conti and asked him regarding the origin of the master model and drawing 1 .

He wanted to see a photo of the master model and I posted a pic . I hope he will reply .

In my opinion the origin of drawing 1 is an important key question not only regarding the master model and the kit but also regegarding the original car ,

My final photos on this thread show the rear axle´s current stage and some important alterings regarding bodywork and radiator case .

There are  still a lot of time-consuming works ahead but I´m determined to do them all .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

I have added the front part of the exhausts. One more time, not easy to get something acceptable with the very poor kit's parts. After a big preparation work on the parts, they have been adapted to fit on the engine and on the rear part, and then glued in place. As the instructions don't give any color indication, I haven't painted them, but I have nevertheless applied a coat of satin varnish on them.

The photo etched parts 3PE (section N step 32) have been used despite that such a connector was not present on the car. I left them unpainted, as the instructions don't give any indication.

Notice the wrong and very unrealistic screws.

The 1K part (step 29), connector, is bad too, and too short. I used it anyway, in the logic of OOB

Look at the fasteners, not yet used...

This OOB should be over today or tomorrow 

at the latest.

I am gonna bring back home my personal build for little corrections and comparison photos.

I will take part to the competition at Maquett'expo, where I should bring the 2 versions. Of course, the OOB will be here inly to enhance the other one.

P.S: no reply from the Veteran Bordino association. Very disappointing...

t6xOWZ.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southpier said:

was there no pedal brake on the real car? I cannot imagine having to wrestle the steering wheel with one arm and run the brake on with the other!

Yes there was, the lever was for the hand brake only. 

See here

• Like 1

Not easy to install the right bonnet, too long. I had to decrease it patiently to get a good fitting. It is now only 77 mm lenght (originally 80 mm). Notice the curious tip on the fairing (black arrow), in which runs the ring on top of the bonnet. The first section of the kit's "hinge" has a hole, to open a bit more, that will go too on this tip. Notice too that, as for my personal build, there is no room for the front fastener (white arrow).

q6PicJ.jpg

• Like 1

My 2nd bonnet is now in place. I have used a 10 mm lenght 0,75 mm Evergreen rod (ref. 210) to go in the hole of the radiator hose. Only 2,5 mm are emerging and will hold the front part of the bonnet. So, I did not glue the 2nd bonnet on the first one.

lePXk6.jpg

PTL7jF.jpg

On its own and notwithstanding historical accuracy, it's still a very good looking model if you ask me. 

I'm glad that you've tackled this kit, it would have never been built if it had remained in my stash. 

Don't forget, after this build is finished, to post the end result (ideally: the comparison) in the 'finished projects' section of this forum. People who don't follow this topic may be very interested and surprised to see your end results. 

31 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Don't forget, after this build is finished, to post the end result (ideally: the comparison) in the 'finished projects' section of this forum. People who don't follow this topic may be very interested and surprised to see your end results. 

Dear Roy,

how could I forget, when the only reason for me to make this OOB is to show the difference between both builds? ;) (the 1st time I do this experience, but it was particularly justified for such a wrong kit)

It will be my final point in this thread, that will have been an extraordinary experience for me.

Life goes on, and my modeler's life will do so, but I won't forget the great moments, sometimes more difficult, that sharing with all of you has been.

Left side, as the hood is opened, I had a problem for the fasteners with the springs. As there were holes on the bonnets for the fasteners, I decided to glue them indeed there (OOB) and so, the springs are falling alone from their frames hooks.

Furthermore, you can see the spring used on the radiator hose, very curious choice of Italeri, while the documents show we have definitely a rod and not a spring there...

Be6TGz.jpg

My OOB is now over! I am very glad because I didn't imagine it would be done so quickly. Begun the 15/9, it will have needed less than 3 weeks, to compare with the nearly 13 months the first one had needed. But don't be discouraged by the scratch option, as I said above, if I had to do it again, it would probably take me less than 6 months. I had to do and redo many steps as we went along with new documents.

I made the first 2 comparison photos, despite that I have little corrections to do on my first build (you know me, I couldn't wait). I will try to find a wider cardboard to avoid undesirable portions on the sides.

odN4i2.jpg

6jPySc.jpg

• Like 3

Stunning, excellent comparison. Numerous amazing differences. 

Some requests if I may:

- A full frontal comparison view.

- " " from the top.

- " " from the right hand side (=side where the bonnet is closed).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Some requests if I may:

Sure you may! it is just a beginning, my intention is to do many other photos, on many angles and various distances... 

To your request, a top view that shows without distorsion effect the difference of proportions and lenghts. Speaking about distorsion, don't take in consideration the wheels on this top view, they are completely distorted! (this recalls me debates we had about distorsions on our docs)

BAQztu.jpg

and a front view with a very different look of the cars (I clearly prefer the scratch one, with better proportions of the radiator case, front wheels cambered and well dimensioned tyres, through others...

c5cu2I.jpg

P.S: looking again at these photos, I see there is indeed always a lot of distorsion (for example, on the first one I made, the cars seem to have nearly the same lenght because the "scratch" car is in front, the OOB behind). There should be much less distorsion making individual photos of both cars, and doing comparison a posteriori. I will try to get the same view angle than our main documents, adding them to the comparison. More soon...

• Like 4

Thank you dear friends, I will never say enough this result is not only mine but yours too. If you don't mind, my last post on this thread could be a summarize of the important steps of my build, showing the essential role of the thread in this result. But we are not yet here. As I said above, I will do first comparisons (individual photos same angle of view) of both builds with our best documents. Then I will focus on details.

I begin now with the photo 28 (in my personal library, it is numbered "0" because of its fundamental importance and I recall it is Roy who brought it to us, as many of our best docs). Profile view right side (the camera has not been moved, using a tripod, so distance and view angle are exactly the same, and so for the reframing)

Without vertical lines:

dVQFI3.png

With vertical lines:

TYqK9u.png 

Conclusion:

1) it is not a surprise, the tail of the OOB is much too long, probably inspired by the Drawing 2 that is wrong on that point

2) the cockpit is much too roomy on the OOB

3) the tyres are obviously much too big. Notice that even on the partial scratch version, they are a bit too big, what I had noticed and said above

4) the vertical steering connector 28B should be more frontal

5) the shape of the fairing is wrong. As you know, I spent a lot of time on this complex part to get the good shape.

6) the OOB car is not only too long, it is also much too height, not representing the low body of the 806 and giving a massive aspect.

7) on the OOB, I have placed the digits decals exactly following the instructions, they should be more frontal

8) the steering column angle is wrong on the OOB and the massive part 123D (step 15) is a pure invention of the kit

9) 33E (step 3) is totally invisible (and not at its right place, anyway) on the OOB.

etc.

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
Adding
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now, let's do a comparison, using the same technique (same distance with the tripod, same angle of view) with our photo 12. This photo, in fact a capture screen from the documentary (again a great contribution of Roy), is our only real front view. The comparison is merciless for the OOB! The radiator case is totally wrong. When I think Hannes, I still don't know how, had guessed, much before we got this amazing document, that the proportions width/ height were so wrong, and I was first very sceptical! (see the Gangshow p. 39). Then we got documents that began to convince me, until we got this one, showing definitely (even if maybe - not sure-  the picture is a little bit distorted, giving a bit wider look to our car).

The path, front and rear, is wrong too, too short and of course, the front wheels are not cambered...

The OOB radiator grille is made of thick black rods . Pity, for copyright reasons, I can't show the HR version of this photo 12, but we have many other docs (photo 2 VHR, fe, on which we can see the very fine rods composing this grille) and it is obvious, on many of our docs, including this photo 12,  that the grille wasn't black. Notice that, on the box-art, the grille is silver, while the instructions say to paint it black.

The photo 12 is interesting too because it shows (this has ever been said above) that, a few hours before the race, the digits were still missing on the radiator.

GO3hXs.png

pZ7hUX.png

• Like 3

Olivier I see only minor, only few, differences, you really nailed it. Some things still puzzle me somewhat, such as the long steering rod that seems to be longer on the photo (last comparison). But I couldn't say I'm 100% sure it should be different. I think, whatever way, that you're so very close to the true shape of this car... I am astonished. I frankly had not thought anyone could make it this close to what we see on the contemporary pictures. 

I dare say that your model has become a new possible source / basis of study. I'm sure the people at Centro Storico would love to have your model in their collection, especially after looking at those comparison pictures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We don't have (pity!) a top view of the real car, but the comparison is interesting between the 2 versions I made. I ever did this comparison above but with a lot of distorsion because a single photo of both models was done. It is better to do separate photos (in the same conditions) to decrease the distorsion (there is still a bit). Look how the steering wheel is close from the fairing on the OOB, and how it is inclined. With this top view, you can have an idea of the work done on the cockpit and fairing shapes, without forgetting the tail and the louvres...

kSUwNF.png