Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Hi lads! 

On our blueprints/drawings I see no sign whatsoever of oil and fuel filters. Surely, they have to be there...don't they? Part 103c on the kit (lower right side of the engine) is positioned where I would  presume there to be an oil-filter, but looks nothing like what we see on the new HR pic 2. Can anyone shed any light on this please????

Cheers, H

It's very likely that simple in-line filters were used, similar to those used in motor-cycles. Remember, the oil would probably be changed for each race and the petrol would usually be poured into the tank through a filter.

They weren't like road cars which were (and are) expected to go for thousands of miles between oil changes. My '54 Austin Healey 100 used an in-line fuel filter in the fuel line so it wasn't obvious. Most motor bikes used a simple wire mesh filter in the return feed from the engine. There's no reason to believe cars would need anything different.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On my A7 Ulster the oil filter was a tube shaped piece of metal gauze attached to the sump plug. When the plug was screwed up into the sump the gauze filter went into one of the engine oilways. On removal, for oil changing, the gauze tube could be removed from the sump plug and washed in petrol or paraffin

There was a similar filter in the petrol tank, over the outlet hole inside the tank. To remove it, the fuel line had to be disconnected from the fuel tank, the filter dropped down and out, got washed, pushed back up and the fuel line re-attached to hold it in place

Both filters have been replaced with better ones

• Like 4

I have moved on the 3rd shelf of my showcase my 806. It is the best place to highlight her. And I have changed the page of the Sebastien's book in the background. It is opened now on the page where there is our photo 3 on left page and out photo 4 on right page. And I have done the labels. If you want, I can translate the text in english, just ask me.

A question: I made a video, I would like to insert it in the thread, but I don't know how to proceed. Can you recall me that, please, Roy, as you did that several times above?

t9lGri.jpg

P.S: Hannes, I miss you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Can you recall me that, please, Roy, as you did that several times above?

First, upload your video to Youtube. 

Then, simply copy the Youtube link* and paste it into the reply box. The forum will automatically embed a video player in your reply. 

*To copy a Youtube link, or any other link, select the text of the link as it appears in your browser bar. Then, use CTRL-C to copy the link text (on a Mac, use CMD-C). To paste it into the reply box, first click on the box and then use CTRL-V (on a Mac, use CMD-V). 

• Thanks 1

Well , this is just a very short video showing the car turning on the tray, but I would like to do something more ambitious, with connections with some of our historical documents, in particular parts of the video. The problem of such a project may be the copyright. Roy, do you think I can use with no problem the video of Archivio Luce in a You tube video and on our thread? For the sounds, I could ask help from my nephew Nicolas who is a very good pro in post synchronizing.

P.S: thanks Roy.

• Like 3

I don't know if Archivio Luce would mind.. the only way to find out is to ask them... but I think they won't be too enthusiastic. If you wanted to use the HR video, you'd definitely have to pay for that; amounts are on their website...

• Like 1

Roy,

I have ever tried to contact them unsuccessfully not long ago,  but I will try again. I would be ready to pay a reasonable price to get the HR version. But this supposes first that they reply to me... About the video project, I will ask them in the same time...

I have redone my little video, trying to get a slower turning of the tray (2 methods, inserting a used battery and using the idle mode of my I phone 7). I will post this new video, that is a bit longer than the first one,  very soon and also some captures screen done.

Instead of a music, or at least as a complement, I would like to use noises of a vintage engine car on my new You tube video. Do you know how to proceed for that?

If I had known I would have this idea, I could have added smoke around my car... I could do that in the future if I succeed the noise effect...

I have fun as a kid! :P

Step 11 over, I am on the step 12. The instruction suggests to paint mat black the up cooling tubes. Curious, but, in my logic of strictly OOB (in french, we would say I am "bête et discipliné" ;)), I paint it so (I must be the first!). And so for the parts 26, 27 and 44E, to paint brass. Notice that I have resolved the problem of interference of 118D with the frame mounting rod by cutting and cementing upside down its front bottom... 

eVNPFI.jpg

Thanks southpier. I agree with you about the many details distracting from the model, but I made many other photos showed above on which the model was not on the display, and I will make new ones, I hope still better later, when my OOB will be over. Then, I will return the model at home, I will bring still little improvements (there are still little corrections and omissions) and I will try to do the best photos possible, and probably use a pro photographer.

But I thought it was interesting anyway to make this video on the display, strongly enlightened by the leds and turning slowly.

Dear Olivier , I´m not fighting with inner demons , I´m just consequent , that´s why I won´t post anymore regarding the topic " 806 "and on this thread .

I´m sure you will finally understand once your euphoria ( you did deserve it ! ) is over .

Of course I will support you when building your Mef if you wish .

I have to focus on my model now and it will take some time till I reach my goal .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Sad 1

I can understand you without waiting my enthusiasm to decrease (I hope it will never decrease...), and I respect your decision, but I regret it, that's all.

Very friendly

Olivier

P.S: I will indeed certainly need hints for the Mef, that will be my next build.

• Like 1

If up to now, the OOB was not so far from a convincing build (except the lack of color indications, errors in the instructions, very long vertical legs of the up cooling tubes, wooden floor...), with the step 14, we begin to see really unrealistic things, like this awful and very thick wire and these anachronistic connectors:

jO592P.jpg

A "unique model in terms of accuracy and technology"?? :huh:

The diameter is about 1,25 mm (difficult to check with the flash and they are not round). At scale 1:1, it means 15 mm. You have already seen that, you, ignition wiring of such a diameter? I can't understand that Italeri did not replace them. And the flash are not so easy to remove, with this soft material. Should I do it anyway for my OOB?? I won't be cruel and will do my best but...

On my A 7 U the leads are 7mm, because its only a tiny engine. On bigger cars the wires are 9mm. The largest I've ever seen were old fashioned cord wound ones at 11mm

A section of a razor blade held in a knife handle is good for cutting away this soft plastic

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

A section of a razor blade held in a knife handle is good for cutting away this soft plastic

If I remember correctly, it's a kind of rubber. Still, using a knife may be the only way to get the hexapus in as realistic a state as reasonably possible. 

• Like 1