Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Yes , dear Olivier , my take-up would be OK for a passenger car , but not for a light weighted racing car  ( 700 kg was the limit 1927 )

Another question : How did you manage to cut off your tubes so very exactly in 90 degreee ? Did you build a special construction for that ? It looks very neat !

Tomorrow is racing day in Monza again . I wonder if there are any celebrations regarding Bordino´s victory 90 years ago .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hannes said:

How did you manage to cut off your tubes so very exactly in 90 degreee ?

I just took care, using magnifying glasses and a flat file and of course the essential digital caliper (to get exactly 6,6 mm). After, it is just a question of patience...

I bought the Jigster from Uschi, very good to get 90° neat endings, and I use it sometimes, but here, because the brass tube is very thin (0,2 mm), I avoided using it.

58 minutes ago, Hannes said:

Tomorrow is racing day in Monza again . I wonder if there are any celebrations regarding Bordino´s victory 90 years ago

You are right, but I would be very surprised that such a celebration happen... If you intend to follow the race (I won't), you'll tell me.

• Like 1

There are rainy conditions for the qualifying today  so we could get an impression how the race track looked for Bordino . Some of the older trees in the royal park of Monza most likely attended both events .

I dont like today´s formula 1 too much because it´s too sterile and technocratic imho . I like the " good old times " when cigarette-smoking mechanics still had oil stains on their overalls .Driving a racing car was a very dangerous adventure at that time and that´s the stuff from where myths , legends , tragedies and real victories are originated ..

Many greetings Hannes

• Like 2

The strategy of hinge assembly was not obvious. I chose to glue first a 3 mm wide, 0,1 mm thick brass foil on the left bonnet. Then, I glued my hinge on the edge of this sheet. Then I began to glue 1,2 mm rivets (0,1 mm brass sheet, Rivets Maker). And then... I stopped to make this photo. Before going farer, I needed to have your opinion (s), the experience of this build made me more and more careful... :D

ih7dX1.jpg

• Like 1

If there was a piano hinge as Fred assumed this is a correct construction . The Mef for instance has a different hinge construction as you can see on my photos . There are single hinges and one leaf is on one bonnet , the next one on  the other bonnet and so on .  The rivets most likely were quite small and possibly flattened because we cannot see a single one on the outside of the bonnets even on our high-res photo 2 .

Many greetings  !   Hannes

• Like 1

Yes Hannes, I chose the piano hinge construction. On the Mef, that I will build later, the hinge is different indeed, I agree, I posted myself many photos of the one I saw at the Centro Storico.

Do you think the rivets are too big? I made a "mix" between the flat and very big we could see on the Bugatti, and the very small and rounded we could see on the Miller... (see above p. 161)

• Like 1

igk7Z0.jpg

If my hinge is acceptable (and I hope it is), I can't say the same thing for my inside louvres, very irregular. Even if we know they were not regular on our car, I can't leave them like that, considering they will be very visible, left bonnet wide opened...

• Like 1

I think for a model the size is OK . Don´t forget that a model is not an exact copy of the original regarding all aspects . At some spots there are some subtle deviations necessary to have an convincing effect for the spectator . Maybe you remember my comparison regarding porcelain figures where heads and hands must be a tiny bit bigger than in nature  for an esthetical  look. , 

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

If you want to represent smaller rivets , there´s an old trick : Just lay your sheet or plastic plate on a flat piece of wood and push carefully a not too  pointed needle or nail into the backside . This way you can get very fine rivet structures on the other side . But you have to exercise to get good results Hannes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hannes said:

If you want to represent smaller rivets , there´s an old trick : Just lay your sheet or plastic plate on a flat piece of wood and push carefully a not too  pointed needle or nail into the backside . This way you can get very fine rivet structures on the other side . But you have to exercise to get good results Hannes

Thank you for this hint, Hannes, but I could have used more simply a smaller size from my Rivets Maker set. The smallest is 0,6 mm, and even 0,5 if you use the Punch and die that will give you a flat rivet. Have you got these great products from RP Toolz? 

So it was a personal choice, maybe not the best, but I had been influenced by the still much bigger (flat) rivets of the Bugatti, as I said above.

Olivier

• Like 1

IoDye5.png

Thierry noticed rightly above that the spokes fasteners had not the good shape. Hannes added rightly too that there was no hole on the rear wheel (maybe a way to avoid confusion with the front ones). I noticed too that, compared with our photos (2 VHR in particular), my fasteners were a bit too dark.

So, I had to modify my fasteners, uneasy once in place (impossible for me to remove them):

Before (it is in fact the right wheel, on which the job has not yet been done):

tvsGiB.jpg

After: I have done only one wheel for now, I will need patience and care for the 3 others...

0FeVXt.jpg

I like the increased contrast of the lightened fastener with the spokes. But notice there is a ring delineating the central part, that should be furthermore a bit more internal that the rest of the fastener.

I regret all these observations are done only now, they would have been easier to correct before the fasteners assembly on the wheels.

• Like 1

I was not very happy with my 1,2 mm rivets, too big. I decided to remove and replace them by 0,7 mm ones, much smaller, allowing me to put 2 rivets/ hinge element. In the same time, I have decided to use tin sheet in the same thickness (0,1 mm) for my new rivets, for a nice contrast with the brass hinge: 

ngMgr8.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hannes said:

Don´t forget that a model is not an exact copy of the original regarding all aspects . At some spots there are some subtle deviations necessary to have an convincing effect for the spectator

Dear Hannes,

I am not a fan of this conception of model making, suggesting to increase details "for the spectator". I think my hinge looks better now with smaller rivets. 

But I suppose you think so too, and just told me that to avoid a negative reaction from me and my badly placed self-esteem, no? ;)

• Like 1

e8yrTk.png

3 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

But notice there is a ring delineating the central part, that should be furthermore a bit more internal that the rest of the fastener.

I quote myself. I have decided to represent the central part as it is really, with a surface a bit under the level of the rest and the ring.

I began to grind the center part (not over), and in the same time, I scratchmade rings. I had the idea to use a 0,5 mm tin wire, wrapped around a rod, as I did for my springs (see above). After several trials, I determined that the good diameter of the rod should be 3,4 mm. As I did not have a 3,4 mm rod, I got it by grinding in a 4,0 mm Evergreen tube....

oYG4y4.jpg 

I had to grind a bit my ring once in place. In fact, a 0,4 mm thick tin wire would be better than 0,5 imho... Painting step to follow...

dIz8SW.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , all your improvements  are very effective as I can see now . Bravo !  The central part of the fasteners should be steel gray imho and I´m sure you will find the right color !

It´s interesting there were 2 rings punched in the frontal fastener . I guess  this  was the early version of the hole as a mark . 

I made a little progress too . The skeleton of my rear axle now is connected with the chassis and bottom plate and after some final works I will show some pics soon .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Here we can see the " skeleton " of my rear axle  .  After some time of deliberations I decided to connect the differential case with the bottom panel by the construction shown above .

This system allows still some small corrections if necessary . Besides the giant screw there´s a small bolt for preventing a rotation of the system .

As you can see my baby with no arms ( not yet ! ) can stand on it´s own feet !

So my static calculations :D seem to be OK .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 2

Thanks , dear Olivier . Now I´m searching for some cone-shaped plastic parts for representing the shafts . Fondue forks , electric tooth-brushes , straight ball pens , watch out and hide !

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Immaculate work, as always, Hannes! Great job!

2 hours ago, Hannes said:

Now I´m searching for some cone-shaped plastic parts for representing the shafts . Fondue forks , electric tooth-brushes , straight ball pens , watch out and hide !

Ha Ha!! Yes my friend, it's amazing what you can find in the home to cannibalise!!:D

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Thanks , dear Harvey ! The fondue forks were not the right candidates because it´s almost impossible  to separate the steel from the plastic without destroying the plastic  . A hand -driven small and cheap lathe  could be a great help . 

A normal drilling machine could work too ,  I´ll have to check it out .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Dear Hannes, I bought a cheapo mini bench drill last year for about 25 pounds and it has been a life-saver....especially for this project! Imagine trying to drill all the holes in my solid steel chassis legs by hand with the pin-vice..........it would have taken forever and thousands of drill-bits!! Well worth the money imho!

Cheers, H

• Like 1

There´s a mini bench by Proxxon on the market but it costs 130 euro and you have to buy some additional tools and adaption parts ..  It´s suited for wood and plastic .Besides my normal mini-drill I own a cutting machine by Proxxon ( very useful ! ) and a small work-bench with a mini-drill for drilling vertical holes . What kind of mini-bench do you possess ? I guess I´ll buy one at ebay or similar but I´m not an expert and don´t want to buy a bench which is not useful for my construction .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

My apologies Hannes, I think you misunderstood....It's just a bench-top, mini-drill that sits on my table, not a bench.

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

and a small work-bench with a mini-drill for drilling vertical holes .

It's like you said!:D

Cheers, H

• Like 1