Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear Hannes,

I admit I don't understand what you mean precisely by "cut away", "U-shaped grille" and "falsifications" in your previous comment. Little arrows on the photos or at most a drawing would help me to see that more clearly. Personally, I don't see such things even on my wide enlargements... 

All the best

Olivier

• Like 1

The irregular alternance of black points (welds?) and small rivets along the fairing is very clearly visible, such as the small rivets at the limit bodywork/ bonnets (Robin suggested that, if I remember). This enlargement allows to see very clearly too the rear fastener on the bonnet with its hook...

1evuoM.png

• Like 3

Dear Olivier , the photographer removed the background and used a sharp knife for this purpose ..He made a mistake and falsificated the shape of the grille by removing  a part of the grille´s frame and leaving a bit of the background above the radiator case . This proceeding alters the characteristics of the radiator case .  This is more important  than you might believe because our perception gets deceived regarding the real shape of the car´s front . If it´s still not clear , I´ll draw a scetch later on .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1

Ok Hannes it is clear indeed that the photographer removed the background by cutting, doing the job imperfectly, forgetting to remove background details between some wheels spokes, and also, as you mention, by "eating" a little portion of the top left part of the grille fairing. But I am not sure it changes so much the perception of the grille shape, based anyway on the synthesis between several documents. What you say would be more convincing for me if we had only this photo to determine the grille shape. 

P.S: look closely at the spokes on the enlargement concerned, you will notice very long and wide nipples, I am not far from thinking the photographer added them manually...

• Like 2

Of course there are other documents which could correct the wrong impression . But photo 2 is one of the most used photos and some kind of pattern especially now in high resolution .

Perception psychology tells us that the impression regarding an object we consider as most significant overlays other impressions by other sources we consider as less important .

It´s possible that the photographer altered  the impression with the best of intentions because  he considered the front as too angular and the grille´s frame sticks out a bit  .

Many greetings   Hannes

• Like 1

Photos 13  and 25 show the real shape of the radiator case ( 13   seen from a similar point of view ) . Photo 3 shows similar " corrections " I want to give you an example : On photo 3 there are 2 odd buttons over the transversal arm of the steering system and above these buttons there seems to be a part of the grille´s frame . But it´s a part of the background ! Below the transversal arm it´s correct !  Some of you might think , that´s not important at all but it is imho ! By the shortening of the foresighting longer parts seem to be short but our brain can imagine it´´s real lenght !   All this reminds me of the old joke : There are 3 different kind of persons on this planet :One kind knows how to calculate and the other one does not .:D

Many greetings !  Hannes

You know I like comparative analysis. I made one, merciless, as usual, for the area of the fastener:

aPemCh.png

If the hook is acceptable, the button (2) is too large, it should be thicker up than low, and conical.

You can notice too that the fairing (1) begins too backward, and it should increase more progressively.

I will have to improve that back home, as many other details seen above...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

you will notice very long and wide nipples,

Olivier... those aren't nipples. What you are seeing are weights that are put there to balance the wheels....little rings that clamp around the spokes.  Notice that the troublesome left front wheel has a lot more weights than the right-front!

Cheers, H

• Like 2

I tried to reconstruct what´s been cut away , like on the radiator case , the hinge row and some other minor falsifications . The alterings are very subtle but they change the impression of the car if you look closely .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hannes said:

I tried to reconstruct what´s been cut away , like on the radiator case , the hinge row and some other minor falsifications . The alterings are very subtle but they change the impression of the car if you look closely .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Well done, Hannes, and good idea. It is true that, fe, the hinge row was looking very thin, and that's why I thought first using 0,6 mm tube. I think Roy should add this version with corrections done carefully, as photo 2 bis. Pity, it has lost a bit of quality, and so, the spring coils, fe, are not visible on it.

• Like 1

I will be back home probably tonight. There will be still a lot to do to finish my build, especially because of the new revelations the VHR versions brought. I will have to come-back on the last 5 pages of the thread. I look forward to get back to my workbench, even if these family holiday were fine. I know you understand this feeling. On our workbench, we travel as well...

All the best to all 

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , the kit´s rims are made out of 3 rings with spokes and the central parts .Some spokes of the real wheel "  connect ring 1 with ring 3 " ( Your photo of the rear wheel above ). That´s quite complicated  (and I never did these kind of works) . I suppose , that´s what Harvey wanted to express .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 2

As far as I can see there are only two " rows" of spokes , this means the central ring of the kit should be empty ! But the outer and inner  " rings "  are connected by some spokes imho .   Hannes

• Like 1