Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

There is another bar just behind  the steering drop-link as well, although it is slightly curved upwards! These bars appear to be part of the engine-mounting plate that is bolted to the chassis rail.....so, yes, they must  be a crude steering-lock!:D

This new photo is a gift that just keeps on giving!!!!

Cheers, H

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hannes said:

Dear Olivier there´s a sharp version of photo 3 in Sebastiens book too !  He could possibly know who´s in possession   of the original negative !

Many greetings !  Hannes. 

Dear Hannes,

I wa thinking exactly the same thing. I am going to check in old Sebastien's sendings (if I still get them). In the same time, I will see if there was this VHR version of our photo 2. If so, shame on me!

• Like 2

I have checked my mails, I have all the correspondence with Sebastien but no photo, except Alfa ones about the color. He had certainly used We transfer. I am gonna ask him to send me the photo 3 by mail, as he did for photo 2. Let's pray, friends!

Harvey, as Nick, I had never noticed this detail on photo 3. If it is the same thing than on photo 2 on my enlargements (green arrows), I would say it is a part of the reinforcement with 3 bolts. Is there a relation between this leaf and the steering drop link (protection against shocks or more probably a stop as you suggest), I don't know.

• Like 1

Mail just sent to SF:

Bonsoir Sébastien, 

je peux vous dire que la 1ère des 2 photos que vous m’avez envoyées a fait l’effet d’une bombe sur le forum! Nous n’avions pas ce niveau de défintion dans notre bibliothèque. Peut-être parce que, sans m’en apercevoir, j’avais perdu de la définition en recadrant la photo ou en la transportant. Je me suis aperçu que c’était très facilement que cela pouvait arriver.
Du coup, pourriez-vous m’envoyer la photo 3 (vue 3/4 arrière droite)? Nous espérons - que dire, nous prions! - pour qu’elle soit aussi bien définie et du coup riche d’enseignements…

Avec toute ma gratitude

Olivier

Of course, you will be informed immediately as soon as I have something... It is obvious that a VHR version of our photo 3 would be fantastic! 
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hannes said:

It´s an eyebolt or hook like on my scetch

Yes, I agree, and I would bet for an eyebolt, personally. I will have to modify this on my build, one more time...

Now Hannes, look at the tensioners, remember you said the up and right was going up to  the brake lever (or behind). Do you still think so, looking at the enlargement above?

Dear Olivier !One of the upcoming question is , if there has been a sheet with the 3 suspension mounting  bolts for the left side . Photo 21 seems to be the only one which could give an answer . I can see 2 of 3 bolts but no sheet !  If this is true ,the main purpose  of this construction possibly was the limitation of the steering system ´s movements . What an amazing turn !

Regarding the tensioners : I already changed my mind some weeks ago . But  our errors have a great educative value !:D  Hannes

• Like 3

I must leave you now my friends, my wife is gonna kill me if I don't... I couldn't read and analyse all your posts, especially Nick's one. I'll try tomorrow...

Good night to all, sweet dreams, and let's hope good things from SF for the next days...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

I couldn't read and analyse all your posts, especially Nick's one

I now doubt that anything I've written in the last few days is likely to be worth reading at all :D

• Like 2

In one of my previous posts I was talking  about the change of impression if a photo is cut in an  incorrect way  by the photographer . On our new photo we  can see now what I was talking about .

The frame of the grille was cut at it´s upper left side . This gives an impression of an U-shaped grille . But in reality the whole radiator case looked more squared in my opinion .

Check it out by yourself . Take a pencil and try to complete what´s been cut away. We get a new impression not only regarding the radiator case but the whole appearance of the car !

And it´s only a mm .

Many greetings !  Hannes

I had the idea to look in my downloading files the We transfer file from Sebastien. Less than 10 mn later, I found it, dated 20/11/2016. And I found the photo 2 VHR!! I found too this photo 3, very good too (definitely better than ours, look how you can enlarge it without getting pixels!). I have understood that the best way to be sure I don't lose any definition is, from ImageSchack, going and searching the photo directly on the downloading file, instead of making a screen capture and reframe it. Here is it:

Nk2S5e.jpg

Some details are very well seen, even if the difference is maybe less important than with photo 2. I apologize for the time lost for everyone (me the first). As Hannes said, we learn from our errors... 

Of course, I am gonna:

1) send a message to Sebastien to tell him it is not necessary to send again the photo 3 as I asked yesterday

2) check all photos sent by Sebastien and post them again here if they bring some improvement

3) send a PM to Roy who doesn't seem to have followed the last 24 h, and who is alone able to add these VHR versions at the first page.

• Like 4

Bravo , dear Harvey , your observation seems to be correct , : There was a second bar behind the drop-link  and this bar was a part of this strong sheet as well ! In my opinion the main purpose of  this sheet was the limitation of the steering movements .  A  reinforcement of the engine suspension was a good   side effect imho  . Two birds with one stone !  Or even three if the very first bolt was a mounting point for the accelerator pedal .( sorry , dear birds , it´s nothing  personally )

My conclusion : There has been no similar sheet on the car´s left side imho .

Many greetings  !  Hannes

• Like 2

17 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

There is another bar just behind  the steering drop-link as well, although it is slightly curved upwards! These bars appear to be part of the engine-mounting plate that is bolted to the chassis rail.....so, yes, they must  be a crude steering-lock!:D

This new photo is a gift that just keeps on giving!!!!

Cheers, H

Yes, I agree, even if the rear "bar" seems to me a bit shorter than the front one. But I would see a more or less rounded shape of the metal between both. As soon as possible, I will enlarge more the photo and join a drawing to precise what I mean (at the beach now)

• Like 2

There´s another interesting observation  : As you all know I´m convinced that drawing 1 was an early plan for our car but with a different chassis .The chassis 806 is longer and shows an flatter angle  at it´s center compared with the rails shown on drawing 1 . In my opinion the bodywork already was built according drawing 1 and had to get adapted to the new chassis .( For the 4-stroke-engine instead of the originally provided 2-stroke engine perhaps )

Most likely distance parts were used for these works .

The gaps were filled with some putty  as we can see now on our new photo . The gap gets wider towards the rear which can be seen as a proof regarding the  different angles  of the chassis rails .

The name of our car is Fiat 1500 cmc 12 cilindri , based on the chassis no 806 and with the engine no 406  . The master model and the kit don´t deserve the name 806 because this was a different virtual chassis , a pre-study . Roy once wrote, I will find out some day , that the whole car was a hoax . It was certainly not , but  all models were cheatings including their wrong names .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Harvey has suggested above that there was also a rear "rod" used like the front one as stop for the steering connecting rod. What we took for a part of the pedal would be in fact this rear rod, oblique and bended, going outside. We have here an example of the many horizons the VHR photos open.

wObXQt.png

The photo 3 confirms the inclined rear arm: I begin to see how I will represent these 2 arms. Notice also on this enlargement of photo 3 the hollowed steering rod:

l5fDNJ.png

One more time, we can be sure no modeler as ever represented these 2 arms, we will be pioneers on that too. Thanks Harvey and bravo for that excellent observation!! A medal for you!!

As someone of you ever seen such a construction around a steering lever on another vintage car? I will ask Paul about that...

• Like 2