Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

On 12/08/2017 at 18:53, Hannes said:

But I can see a problem :There seems to be not enough space for your frontal fasteners .   An elongation of the rear steering levers on both wheels could solve the problem.

I agree on the diagnosis, Hannes, but imho the solution will be to move more backward the front transversal steering arm. It should not touch the radiator case, and the front fastener should take place in this space. I will do the correction back home. Thanks anyway for this good observation. There is a lot of traffic between Slovenia and Croatia...

• Like 1

That´s exactly what I wanted to say . My English must get better  . Of course steering cross-beam means the same as transversal arm .I think it´s no big problem to alter it  Drive carefully ,because a lot of people in this region believe they are mini-Bordinos !  Hannes

• Like 1

I have just got this reply from Paul Kierstein:

Dear Olivier:

Please accept my apology for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes you may use these on the site. Please however ask that they not be repeated again and that they are just there for the benefit of your fellow model makers and please credit REVS.

Per your request I did check the 35B  Bugatti here. The pin measures 8.16 MM. I am attaching some pictures of the hood of the car as well.

I am also attaching a 1926 Miller board track interior hood picture that may help.

I am gonna reply and thank warmly Paul for his reply and the great new photos of the 1926 Miller. Paul, very kindly, measured the pin on the Bugatti 35B (I was expecting the hinge diameter but the pin diameter is also very useful) to 8,16 mm, what means 0,6 mm for the pin.

If the pin was about 0,6 mm too on the 806, the total diameter of the hinge certainly was not more than 0,8 mm. So I confirm personally I will use 0,8 mm/ 0,6 mm brass tube from Albion Alloys and a 0,6 mm rod inside (if necessary, I will open a bit the inside of the tube with a drill). All the photos sent by Paul (Delage and Bugatti will be in my next post...

• Like 2

These 4 photos, great, of the Delage, are published here thanks to Paul, who asked me to me credit the Rev's institute. Even if the hood of the 806 and the Delage one are different, these photos are of course very useful for us. Paul allowed me kindly to publish here these photos unless condition they won't be reproduced elsewhere without Rev's authorization. Thank you so... 

s0yZfn.png

NufU7T.png

mwcrOw.png

mrz40X.png

• Like 2

As I said above, Paul sent me today other great photos of the Bugatti 35B and the 1926 Miller. Here they are. Of course, the same conditions are to follow, use limited to this thread. Thanks Paul for your help!

7GSddp.png

48b2BY.png

This 3rd photo is particularly interesting for those who, like me, intend to represent the inside of the bonnet, showing on the 1926 Miller the hinge very well, with tiny rivets fixing it, and the louvres seen from inside. Great! Hope you'll appreciate...

fJz5CP.png

• Like 3

I made an enlargement of the Bugatti hinge above. Considering the inside rod was measured to 8,16 mm by Paul, the outside hinge diameter, at 1/12, should be 0,9 mm instead of 0,8 mm as I said above. I will use the Albion 0,9/ 0,7 mm tube (ref. MBT 09), even if imho, the Bugatti's hinge was a bit larger than the 806 one.

1uJonF.png

• Like 3

I have remembered I had seen at the Torino Mauto the Cappa 1925 Itala shown above about the question of spring fasteners. Here is the photo I made. I couldn't approach more than that, pity. Notice, one more time, how the springs look like rods...

Nv2VAf.jpg 

nMHxgt.jpg

I reproduce here the enlargement of this car, adding labels: now I am almost sure there were springs on the 806 as well. I will probably scratchbuild these springs, whose lenght remains to determine precisely. I will inspire myself of Dan's fasteners photo for the mounting point inside the frame (not eyebolt). Now I leave you because my wife is gonna throw my Mac by the window... :D

3qOvly.png

• Like 1

There´s another  detail that peeked my interest . Photo 8 B was one of the reasons why  I started to believe that the brake drums were not painted at all . The Cappa seems to confirm my assumption , that´s why I will represent my wheels and drums similar with the photos Olivier showed us .The inside parts of the 806 brake drums seem to be darker They were  possibly painted or made out of a darker metal . In my opinion the outer parts could have been made out of an alloy or alu with steel rings inside and the inner parts out of steel for stability reasons . The dark edges on the outer drum cases  as we can see on the unpainted car can be seen on photo 4 B  as well . If the outsides of the drums were painted it should look different  and not like on the photos of the pre-race version imho .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1

Very kindly, Paul has sent me this email today:

Dear Olivier:

Thank you for your kindness.

The information I gave you is from the recreated hood that was made for the 35B. I presume but cannot guarantee that it is an accurate reproduction  of the original. I forgot to add that in my earlier mail.

Measured the outside of the hinge with another caliper and found it to be .48 inches.

Let me know If I can help you and your fellow model makers in any way.

Paul

0,48 inches = 12 mm. So, for the Bugatti, the hinge diameter should be - under condition the original hinge had the same thickness - 1 mm at 1/12, the value Harvey suggested.

But personally, I will keep 0,9/ 0,7 mm as I said above.

So many thanks to Paul, a friend of the 806 researchers ;)

• Like 2

Look what Sebastien has sent to me. I had asked him to send me the best HR version possible. If some of you had still doubts about springs... Thanks a lot Sebastien!! I will post the whole photo 2, that should replace the one we had on first page, this one is THD:

taChNY.png

• Like 3

Roy, I think you can replace our previous photo 2 by this one. Incredible that we get such an amazing quality doc 161 pages after opening this thread. The new reader can't imagine that...

Incredible, I noticed that I could very easily lose definition following the way I put the photo on the thread. But now we've got it!!

SFLipq.jpg

This photo is just amazing, look how every detail is neat!!

• Like 2

The mounting point for the bonnet spring  is not behind the rail imho . It´s an eyebolt or hook like on my scetch . The fastener itself has an oval opening like on the photos shown by Propeller.   Hannes

• Like 3

When I think all the debates we had and the missing link was just there, at hand...

I had the idea to mail Sebastien because it is on his book that I could see kinds of coils. I thought that the impression on the book had probably caused a loss of definition, and, without mentioning this mail on the thread, I asked Sebastien.

The funniest is Sébastien ´s reply:

Bonjour Olivier,

Je suis désolé, je n'ai rien de mieux que ces deux-là (si je ne vous les ai pas déjà envoyées).
Bonne journée,

I translate:
Sorry Olivier, I have got only these 2 ones (the other is not good).
Have a good day

I have replied, explaining to Sébastien that the first one was great, exactly what we needed, and of course thanking him a lot...
Maybe he had ever sent me this photo long ago and I didn't notice I lost définition working on it. It is so easy...
I am not sure, but this will teach me to take a lot of care with this problem...
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hannes said:

The mounting point for the bonnet spring  is not behind the rail imho . It´s an eyebolt or hook like on my scetch . The fastener itself has an oval opening like on the photos shown by Propeller.   Hannes

Dear Hannes,

I think this new doc opens a indeed new horizons, as your first comments show... 

• Like 2

Funny too thinking it is during holiday in Croatia that, for lack of being able to go on my build, I could get that doc that allows us to move 3 steps forward in the Chutes and ladders that is from months the Fiat 806 research , our quest to all here!! :D

• Like 1

Wow!!!:thumbsup: What an incredibly clear picture....wish we'd had this months ago!

Something else has come to my attention, as well.....

Look closely at photo 3 and just in front of the steering drop-link you will see a thin bar sticking out from the chassis rail. Most likely some sort of steering stop. When looking at the other pics, this detail isn't apparent....but looking at our new pic, it's there!! What do you chaps think?

Cheers, H

• Like 3

Dear Harvey , that´s the region where the accelerator pedal should be situated . In the background of the new photo we can see the long brake pedal . But I don´t have a clue how the real accelerator pedal looked like  . Certainly not like the Protar version ! We should look at other contemporary cars  because the photos of our car won´t tell us the truth even in HR .This photo must get compared with photo 1 AA  too !

Many greetings !  Hannes

It is sad that I am so excited but that picture is awesome.

Highlights so far

Spring on bonnet

Little electric cable under the rear of the chassis that I had spotted previously but is much clearer

The LH Front upright

Clarity around each of the chassis brackets

WoW

I guess if we could find the plates for the photos they would all be at that res.

Harvey,

That's a good spot too. I've been looking at that region for weeks and never saw it. Amazing.

Nick

Edited by NickD
further thoughts
  • Like 3

Now I can see this small stick .If the steering wheel turns into the left direction the long steering rod  could get  in contact with the rear suspension of the frontal leaf sprigs .  There were additional problems with the left front wheel and - as Harvey said _ this could have been some kind of steering stop . Primitive , but effective .   Hannes

• Like 1