Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

1 hour ago, Hannes said:

please wait with mounting this wonderful stick

27 minutes ago, Hannes said:

Why don´t you show the right bonnet closed and the left open to display your engine  ?  If you add one or two mechanics ( or Felice Nazarro :D ) and create a convincing surrounding this could become a very nice diorama !

Dear Hannes,

thank you very much for your compliments and hints. I am now not so far from the final straight before the arrival. It is a very exciting moment and in the same time, the one in which I must take more and more care, and have the good building strategy to avoid complications, loss of time, and traps of all kinds. I agree with you, the stick and the braking tensioners 141 and 142D, with the fragile stars, should be assembled on the frame as late as possible. 

I will think about your idea, I admit a diorama with a mechanist working on the engine bonnet opened, while Felice Nazzaro would stand near Bordino, would be great, but this would mean move back still more the moment to end, and I admit I look forward to finish soon now. This build will have needed so much time, so many hours (I wonder how many!), so much energy, and I still have an article to write. 

But this is something that could be done later, why not? After retiring, when I will have more time. Another reason to hesitate is that I never made dioramas. I love the ones I can see (I bought recently a wonderful book from AK) but it would be still a new challenge for me, and from challenge to challenge, I begin to be a bit tired... and I must try to keep my wife, who, as you know, is not interested at all in model making and would be very pleased if I could be a bit less too! :D

All the best

Olivier

• Like 1

If you want to represent Nazarro in the future , don´t forget the umbrella ! This diorama does not need to be complicated at all , maybe only some wet asphalt because the eyes of the spectator should look at the model ! You could even use real tar mixed with  sand-grains for that !     Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

I replaced the frontal region of the rails by brass parts . The mounting of the radiator case will be done by the mounting holes for the schock absorbers , that´s why I didn´t drill holes in front of  them as in the kit´s solution .Now it´s time for drilling a lot of holes before I will connect the rails with the rear part .

Many greetings !    Hannes

• Like 1

For the first time after months of intense work, I put my 806 on her legs. I feel very excited, I feel I am the first man walking on the moon! 

Photo 1: chassis alone:

WDFtVf.jpg

Photo 2: front view: notice the brake cables lying on the floor (for instance...)

mfQP9d.jpg

Photo 3: front view with the engine:

EcNgkL.jpg

Photo 4: with Pietro Bordino on board:

DweY4T.jpg

Photo 5: with the body on: our build are our babies, and I feel I gave birth to a beautiful baby, while I know there is still a lot to do...

OVIXtS.jpg

Photo 6: 

8mf4XY.jpg

Photo 7: it is a kind of consecration, after so many hours spent in research, travel, and above all build (often scratch...), so many steps done and redone to get the desired result...

Krfg5W.jpg

Photo 8:

4yAFF9.jpg

Photo 9, a profile view, to finish. I have a thought for vontrips, hoping he feels OK and he may see what his great tyres give with my respoked wheels. Pity, we don't have news from him, he left us as others did. We can understand, we are now on page... 137! And it is not over, and I don't count the Gangshow, that I joined on the last 4th september (I feel it is years ago, so many things happened). Now, I know my model will be over for the 90 years of this beautiful grandma, passed away too soon. In Turin, the "Old lady", as you probably know, is the name given to the soccer team, la "Juventus"... Ironicly, one of the reasons Agnelli ordered the end of Fiat involvement to G.P was the low interest he showed to car races, while he was more interested in football. But our "Old Lady" is very nice too and gives a lot of emotions too, like football... Sorry to be so verbose, it is excitation... 

WjKvwo.jpg

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 6

Thanks a lot, Roy! Your contribution to this (temporary) result is huge. Your enthusiasm to create this thread, the great docs you brought us (up to this profile view, photo 28) were absolutely necessary to get the good shapes. 

I deeply regret that you left us to work on the very exciting Delage project. But I am pleased to see you are still following us. Did you begin your build? Do you have a thread on Brit?

All the best 

Olivier

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

This diorama does not need to be complicated at all , maybe only some wet asphalt because the eyes of the spectator should look at the model ! You could even use real tar mixed with  sand-grains for that !

Dear Hannes,

indeed, the floor wouldn't be the most difficult, I agree, but the mechanist working in the engine... Unless such a figure exist at 1/12e... I admit it was a real challenge to turn Lawrence in Bordino, in very different positions, and I won't have enough courage for another figure. But maybe the asphalt...

P.S: been having a look on the net for a figure of mechanist at 1/12e, nothing at all. There is a Tamiya set of mechanists (actual) at 1/24... So...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Thanks hendie but these figures are 1/24e. If you could find me the same at 1/12...

aargghhhhhhh - sorry.  I should read more carefully !!

Looks like the Tamiya set is about the only option

• Like 2

Pity, hendie, it is 1/24e too. So, no option except total scratch or big transformation, like I did for my driver! Sorry, I won't dive again in such a challenge for now. If a good mechanist figure at 1/12 had existed, why not, but in such conditions...

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , my suggestion for solving  the problem : Buy the Tamiya figures , visit a 3 D print shop and let one mechanic print out in 1 . 12 . I don´t know how much this would cost though .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

I leave for now the question of the mechanist to go on with the build. I began to work on the right exhaust pipe. The specification is as follows:

- get the good dimensions, of the part itself (the 145D part is too thick)

- get the good lenghts, needing necessary many adjustments because of all the modifs I have done on the body

- remove all the awful fixing lugs

- the exhaust must stay in close contact with the body. This requires to make several cuts as I did on the front axle to bend the part

- do not use the 146D part, that does not exist, but have a natural hole at the bottom with thin edges. This will require to remove at least the 15 last mm and replace the full plastic by for example 0,3 mm thick alu foil.

- represent the weird relation with the front part of the exhaust, at the limit body/ bonnet

- represent the asbestos tape rolled around the exhaust

epsm3Z.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , the heat-sheet at it´s correct  place should be  mounted for comparison reasons imho . The rear part of the right pipe needs a lot of attention , it won´t be sufficient if you just file down the existing part . You will have to add plastic plates to achieve a convincing result !. For the frontal parts I recommend scratchbuilds .

You should start with them ( including the bonnets ) imho and add the rear parts later

I´ll draw a scetch today .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

I saw that Tamiya made long ago (1974) a mechanist at 1/12, changing a wheel, ref. 12502, but it is out of stock and impossible to find up to now, on the net...

If one of our experts of the net research can do better than me...

P.S: even if it is Tamiya, 43 years ago, it is maybe not a piece of art...

I found it finally on ebay from Australia, 30US $ + shipping. I hesitate... I know Hannes is very encouraging with this idea, but some of you where much more unconvinced by inserting a figure (the driver), so 2...

• Like 1

Thanks Ron, but I don't find any mechanist at 1/12 on Hiroboy. I had visited this site when I was looking for my driver's figure (I think it is VT, if I remember, who had given me the site info). They have driver's figures at 1/12 (quite expensive but certainly very good) but no mechanist. If I had to order, the only choice for now would be the Tamiya I said above, from Australia...

I made a deeper research on the net and found these 2 offers:

- the first one is a tool set: I am not sure the Texaco brand existed in 1927 and was used by Fiat, and some others tools are probably anachronistic. The price is 28$ with shipping fee.

1)  QtBfQ7.png

- the second one is a set of 4 figures, a team manager, a driver, and 2 mechanists (one changing a wheel, another engine tuning)... This last offer is 60$ the set free shipping. I am tempted...

p5iUTA.png

• Like 1

The brand Texaco has born in 1901, and here is an advertisment in french for their oils, in 1924. But I doubt it was the product used by Fiat for their racing cars in the 20's. More research is necessary...

P.S: I fell for the 4 figures and ordered it...

KWAUQE.png

• Like 1