Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear Olivier for part 17 B I would exlude any color . Color is weight as Propeller said . Regarding the front axle I´m not so sure . If there had been a dusty race track with stones a protecting color would make sense . Maybe the accident which caused the dent on the radiator case and  the exchange of the frontal cross-beam also made the exchange of the front axle necessary ? If the mechanics did´nt have the time to paint that cross-beam , a new front axle would have remained unpainted too imho .

But that´s pure speculation .According Salamano´s version there has been a second car . If this car really existed , most likely it was not screwed together and only was used for supporting exchange parts .

However the axle´s color does not seem to be the same as the painted parts of our car .

Dear Robin , thanks for showing the mesh behind the spokes .I´m not yet sure how I will represent this part .Maybe comparisons with other Fiat racing cars could be helpful.

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

And...it fits! :party:

806-075_zps9mem5whl.jpg

It's such a tight fit...I don't have to glue it in place...It will never come out again...not without extreme force anyway.

So, like it or not...it's there to stay now. :think:

More soon,

Robin :smile:

• Like 2

Honestly , Hannes, I don't remember! Is it me who found out that? So many things have happened on this thread - and the Gangshow -...

I have decided to modify the color of the front axle, influenced by Hannes ans Robin. It used to be black, it is now bare metal. Problem: if the front axle was so, it is very probable that the rear one was the same... I think Robin has chosen this option. Up to now, it was for me as an evidence that the axles - front and rear - were black. I would have wanted to have everyone's opinion on that question.

All the best

Olivier

• Like 1

On this enlargement, it is obvious that this element, part of the front axle, is bright metal and not black. I don't regret my decision. 

And 135 and 139D? black? or red? difficult to be sure! Robin has chosen the red, up to now, I chose black. But when I see the Mef, the drawing 1B, the Codognato drawing, I wonder if I will not change my black for a more probable red. If so, it will not be easy to apply the red on the outside part with all my spokes in the middle... :huh:

9CQ6no.png

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 2

This enlargement of photo 9 is interesting for another reason too . If we look closely at the right side of the grille there seems to be a fine mesh directly behind the spokes , not diagonal as Robin showed us but parallel with the spokes .Photo 21 , HR version seems to confirm my presumption .If the spokes are brighter than the fine mesh behind it could get represented on the model imho

Many greetings ! Hannes

• Like 1

Well, the decision was not long to come! Despite the challenge to apply the red between the spokes, I decided that it was the most probable color on the parts 135 and 139D, inside and outside (the rest of the wheel remains black). Definitely, Robin will have had a real influence on my definitive choices. It is him who suggested that the floor was probably not made of wood, him who suggested that there was no leather or such soft material on the gearbox, him who suggested that the axles were metal and not black, and him too who suggested that 135 and 139D were red. But each time, I took my decision to modify because there was a strong probability that Robin was right.

So, I applied a first coat of X7 enamel Tamiya with the great Da Vinci Nova synthetic paintbrush n°1, trying not to apply the red on the spokes. For tonight, I made that only on one wheel. 

Thanks Robin for your contribution to the thread ;)! You decided to make compromises with the body height and other aspects, but you have a very good critical sense. Very inspiring...

Of course, I insisted here on Robin's contribution, but Hannes one was huge too, and so for all the members of the team, each one bringing his own ideas and his own talent, even if I regret some of them are following this thread from far now...

IiFPVn.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , what a beautiful wheel !  One issue I forgot to mention : The shock absorber´s edges seem to be polished too. Everywhere else they seem to be black , but the edges and the bolts / nuts  show pure metal imho .  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot, Hannes! and I agree with you about the shock absorbers. I will do the modif as soon as possible. Good night! I am 54 years old now... (born on the 4th june 1963). Pascale made me a surprise for my birthday, very nice but that will take me away from my workbench for 2 days... workbench on which I had a lot of fun today.

I did not tell you: I found my happiness for the showcase. I will show you that a bit later, it is a round glass showcase, 1m80 height, 54 cm width, with 4 glass shelves. I got it 2 days ago and now, it is just waiting for my 806, that will take place on the highest shelf. I would like my build to be over beginning of august. This would mean 1 year on this build... If I could have imagined all what I lived with this kit, when I bought it...

• Like 2

Happy birthday Olivier! :party:

About the colour choises I made...I looked at photo's and drawings and when in doubt...I looked at other cars and made estimated guesses.

I know not all of what I did is correct...the axle in front of the radiator might as well be bare metal...mine is red.

Hannes...you see mesh, because you want to see it. :lol:

Edited by Robin Lous
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot to both of you, chaps!

Robin, I think Hannes assumption about this rod is probable. It had to be red, but, because of the accident happened just before the race, the mechanics had to replace it and they left it bare metal because they had no time to paint it.

Hannes said he would paint it red anyway (like you), I preferred to represent it as it was for the race. No problem, everyone is free of his own choices.

And about the "estimated guesses", when we cannot have a certainty, it is logical to do so, your  merit was not to accept as a truth what was suggested, in particular for the floor. I think we will be the first modelers to question this postulate, and I think we are right. We would like so much to check the solutions page, as in a difficult crossword, to see if our choices were the good ones, pity, no solution page here. Just the fascinating mistery that surrounds this enigmatic car...

• Like 2

Still wondering how I will paint my rear axle (definitely, I won't leave it black). Been seeing on the Delage. On this race car, the front axle is bare metal (logical choice with the many hinges)...dQs9It.png

... and the rear is body color (light blue). Of course, impossible to know if the same options were used on the 806, but it is possible...

cLyltz.png

• Like 2

CC, as you are here, I would like to have your point of view about what Hannes said: "The shock absorber´s edges seem to be polished too. Everywhere else they seem to be black , but the edges and the bolts / nuts  show pure metal imho".

I had noticed too this shiny look on photos 7, 9, 21 but I supposed it was shiny black.

Can you imagine a part of the Hartford could be metal?

• Like 1

I found that:

eE1HtM.png

If I don't think there were so colored in our car (very nice, anyway), it is possible that there was a metal ring, an edge as Hannes suggested... So?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

CC, as you are here, I would like to have your point of view about what Hannes said: "The shock absorber´s edges seem to be polished too. Everywhere else they seem to be black , but the edges and the bolts / nuts  show pure metal imho".

I had noticed too this shiny look on photos 7, 9, 21 but I supposed it was shiny black.

Can you imagine a part of the Hartford could be metal?

Look at this google page: 

https://www.google.fr/search?q=dampers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN9I_zvaPUAhXEWBQKHdmCDdUQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=1094#tbm=isch&q=hartford+shock+absorber

You can see a multitude of possibilities !

I think personnaly that the (metal) outer disks of the 806's dampers have a dark color (black or red, impossible to know) and  that the friction disks, between the disk-shaped part of the arms, have a light color (they where generally made with hard wood - beech or birch.....https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=065.054...... and were sometimes painted at the periphery...https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amortisseur_à_friction)

Another picture to support my remarks:

Hartford Shock Absorber

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 4

Up to now, I used to consider that the Hartford s.a were shiny black (and I painted them so, with X1 bright black enamel Tamiya). Hannes suggested that the edges were metal color. CC talked about a "light color"... It is a fact that, on every photo where we can see them, their edges seems to be light. But we know too that bright black may give the same effect under the light...

XI14M9.png

GcUdXP.png

• Like 1