Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

I think it is the first time the thread is so quiet. Nothing in more than 24 h. For me, the reason is simple. Too much pro work. For my birthday next sunday, I'd like to order.... TIME!!! time for my build, of course... I hope Robin is OK, and that there was no trouble with anyone of us, explaining his silence, while he was so active up to now, from the moment he arrived on the thread.

I regret that this thread is becoming just a dialog between Hannes and me. Maybe the topics I post  about my figure is less interesting for the reader. If it is so, tell me frankly, I will understand and just post on the car build.

All the best

Olivier

• Like 3

I also can´t explain the sudden silence .There´s always been pro work for many members .But looking into other threads we must admit , that our thread was very lifely for a long time .

A german modeler with the name Sancha also has a thread in the Kölner Modellbauforum for building our 806 . A very nice and clean build !

He´s watching us since the beginning of the year and admires especially you for your love regarding detailling work .

My therapy is over now and I´m glad about it .My progress was slow in the last weeks for different reasons .

The rear parts of my chassis are almost done and it was no fun to do the filing , drilling and bending works of the brass parts . But per aspera ad astra as the old Romans said ,it was a necessary step for my construction. I hope I can show some pics soon !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

I think it is the first time the thread is so quiet. Nothing in more than 24 h. For me, the reason is simple. Too much pro work. For my birthday next sunday, I'd like to order.... TIME!!! time for my build, of course... I hope Robin is OK, and that there was no trouble with anyone of us, explaining his silence, while he was so active up to now, from the moment he arrived on the thread.

I regret that this thread is becoming just a dialog between Hannes and me. Maybe the topics I post  about my figure is less interesting for the reader. If it is so, tell me frankly, I will understand and just post on the car build.

All the best

Olivier

You should take a look at my own thread, and you could understand why I wasn't very present on the forum :think:

• Like 2

Even if my chassis still needs a lot of work I wanted to show you the new brass parts and the elongated frontal tips .The parts will get connected after the detailling and bending works and a bottom plate is the next step .

Many greetings  !  Hannes

• Like 1

Chaps,

Haven't quite had CC's distractions but it's amazing the devastation a puppy can wreak on an ordered life.

In the quiet moments, I have been trying to work out the steering geometry from the photos (behind as usual). From the little evidence I can see Drawing 2 is a pretty good guide for plan. The side and front views appear quite complicated . I will post when I have something plausible.

It's surprising to me just how low the lower suspension arm picks up on the wheel uprights. Very low compared to the Delage. Of course there are no decent pictures so we will never know for sure exactly what the union between the uprights and suspension elements was.

Olivier, your figure is excellent.

As a for it being a dialogue, I think you will find we are still listening even if we have all gone quiet.

ATB

Nick

• Like 2

Hi guys!

Superb work all-round lads....keep it up!

I've been very busy lately with work and also trying to make progress on the Cooper. However, a stupid accident today has put that project on hold for a while! The car was in a plastic box for protection on top of the wardrobe when not been worked on. While reaching for something else I somehow managed to knock it off...:oops:  it landed on the floor, the box shattered and so did the car!:suicide:When I calmed down a bit, I had a close inspection of the damage and it wasn't as bad as I had first feared, but it will still take a few weeks to sort things out and I just can't face it at the moment. That's the bad news.....now for the good news....the 806 is now officially "in progress"!!:yahoo:

Cheers, H

• Like 2

I got today my little package from RB motion (thanks again to Robin...), including the 0,38 mm braided cable, but also different sizes of nuts. I couldn't wait more, tonight, I began to replace the enormous nuts and screws on the Hartford shock absorbers. Of course, it is just a beginning... I inspired myself of this great enlargement of the Hartford on the Mef, as I ever did long ago:

1= 0,2 mm thick tin foil lenght 10,5 mm (and not 15 mm as written by mistake in the label) width 1,5 mm. The tin foil is easy to bend around the side of the Hartford

2= the 1,27 mm nut from RB motion

3= rivet got with 0,6 mm Rivets Maker RP Toolz, 0,36 mm alu foil

4= bottom of the screw got with 0,8 mm (and not 0,7 mm as written by mistake) Rivets Maker, 0,6 mm thick alu foil

VHgi9y.png

I got this, much better than the kit's solution. Of course, I will remove also the screw at the center of the star. I will use for this my own topic that I just need to find somewhere in the thread, unless it is in the Gangshow... :huh:

CpvTf7.jpg

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 2

Dear Olivier , in my opinion you cannot compare the schock absorbers of the Mef with our light-weight dampers . These heavy-duty dampers were strenghtened by this silver cap , but there are additional bolts on top of the caps as you can see on  other Mef photos .. I also doubt the 3 additional rivets  for our dampers .The side-view of drawing 2 shows simple absorbers .

More important are the numbers of layers as we could see on photo 3 for the rear dampers and other photos for the front dampers imho .There are not enough parts in the kit for representing the real construction . The original Protar leafes were made out of chromed metal and because I also own the Italeri kit there are enough leafes to build dampers with the correct numbers of leafes.

Many greetings  ! Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NickD said:

Olivier, your figure is excellent.

Thanks a lot, Nick. It begins to be not so bad, indeed. I will try to succeed the goggles...

14 hours ago, NickD said:

As a for it being a dialogue, I think you will find we are still listening even if we have all gone quiet.

Glad to see that. I understand very well that you can be busy too. Myself, I regret not to have time enough to look at other threads on Brit, as fe CC's one...

10 hours ago, Hannes said:

Dear Olivier , in my opinion you cannot compare the schock absorbers of the Mef with our light-weight dampers . These heavy-duty dampers were strenghtened by this silver cap , but there are additional bolts on top of the caps as you can see on  other Mef photos .. I also doubt the 3 additional rivets  for our dampers .The side-view of drawing 2 shows simple absorbers .

More important are the numbers of layers as we could see on photo 3 for the rear dampers and other photos for the front dampers imho

Dear Hannes,

about the Hartford, I am not sure they were so different on the 806 / on the Mef. And as I have no reference photo of them on the 806, I have naturally used the Mef ones. I will go on in the same direction, using this photo as reference, even if pity, it is impossible to have any certainty on this point, as on many ones.

But I agree with you about the number of layers on the rear ones. On our Drawing 2, it is obvious that there are more layers than what the kit suggests. And indeed, it is more important than the 3 little rivets. but I like them anyway.

All the best

Olivier

• Like 1

13 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Superb work all-round lads....keep it up!

I've been very busy lately with work and also trying to make progress on the Cooper. However, a stupid accident today has put that project on hold for a while! The car was in a plastic box for protection on top of the wardrobe when not been worked on. While reaching for something else I somehow managed to knock it off...:oops:  it landed on the floor, the box shattered and so did the car!:suicide:When I calmed down a bit, I had a close inspection of the damage and it wasn't as bad as I had first feared, but it will still take a few weeks to sort things out and I just can't face it at the moment. That's the bad news.....now for the good news....the 806 is now officially "in progress"!!:yahoo:

So sorry for you, dear Harvey !

we all know this kind of accident. Good luck, and thanks a lot for your compliments, "likes", encouragements...

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , on drawing 2 the number of layers don´t seem to be the same as on our photos because this car was altered for another race track imho . In my opinion only the photos should be the reference regarding this topic !

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Guys...no worries about me being missing in action!

I was in Spain (Bilbao and the Rioja region) for some days. 

IMG_0662l_zpsbhqjtwrh.jpg

The Marques de Riscal wine estate hotel (architect Frank Gehry...same guy who did the Guggenheim in Bilbao)

I go back to work on my 806 tomorrow!

Robin :smile:

• Like 3

Good luck Robin... the curse of the 806...

dear Hannes your little Cat is amazing.

Olivier, coming along slowly but nicely. `

I don t think the blades of the Mef. are to be compared to the 806.  the Mef. was only a "Fiat" to a limited extent; engine of course mainly...and some parts of the chassis and gears.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Robin Lous said:

I go back to work on my 806 tomorrow!

Good new! ;)

8 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Olivier, coming along slowly but nicely. `

Thanks Sam. These last days, I spent the few time I had to find a solution to the serious trouble I had with my front axle. The problem was to get the shock absorbers falling in the holes on the frame. I had left the "screw system" suggested by the kit for a more realistic look, using glued small nuts and bolts, but I had finally to come-back to the "screw system" if I wanted to get back on my feet...

So, I have removed all the work I had done before (Grrr...) and put back the screws 12 and nuts 04. In fact, once painted black, they don't look so big (the black color makes thinner). I have just cut the screws too long. 

VESCsW.jpg

correction
  • Like 3

As we can see, the screws and nuts, once painted black, are not "shocking":

83GMWZ.jpg

My front axle is now in place. Phew! I am gonna work now on the front leaf springs and the end of the 23th step...

d2mkRz.jpg

Top view:

cwhDVv.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , it´s not the first time Protar made a mistake regarding the schock absorbers . On the Mef we also can see the rear dampers the other way around. The Protar construction shows three leaves upwards and two leaves downwards . In reality it´s vice versa !

Same goes for our front dampers . The single leaf shows upwards and the two outer leaves show downwards imho  , at the rear frontal dampers at least  they seem to become  united by bending into a single double leaf before mounted to the construction around the axle .

We also must be very careful when comparing  with drawing 2 . In my opinion Massimino´s alterings of the front axle-steering system are  already integrated  and this  could explain the different height situation of the dampers compared with our photos .Drawing 1 even if only partial correct  seems to be the better source regarding this construction .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Dear Hannes,

I am not sure I understood well your last post. If you wanted to say there is a mistake of Protar (and Italeri...)  about the Hartford shock absorbers (the single leaf should be up and the double down), I wonder how you can be sure of that, because I have checked all our photos, and it is impossible to see clearly this area. Notice that on the model of the Centro Storico, the double leaf is up, like on the kit.

I noticed something curious (maybe this has ever been said on the thread but I don't think so): look at the photo 3. Do you see on it the front shock absorbers? No. And the front leaf springs? No more! Imho, they were missing when the photo was made.

Furthermore, I have been afraid when I have compared my front Hartford (see photo above) with the ones on our photos (2, 7, 9, 21 etc). Mine were not height enough (vs with the front rod, in particular). Happily, because of the screw system, I could easily increase their height (at the maxi, in fact) and now, it is OK. This was very important because this height determines also the front wheels height...

lAidJS.jpg

• Like 2

Olivier,

Just had a look at the Photo. My take is that they are fitted but hidden by the steering rod. You can see the mounting brackets for both the springs and shockabsorbers. The bottom of the spring is faintly visible - as is the top of one of the Hartfords.

Nick

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , drawing 2 shows the single leaf up and the two outer leaves down . I´m aware that the height of the front absorbers is not the same compared with our car .It´s possible too there were different absorbers for the successor . Drawing 1 shows more massive absorbers and seems to be more similar with our dampers  But there´s no reason for me to doubt the arrangement . Because drawing 2 was drawn later than drawing 1 imho it possibly shows the correct position of the leafes .

Of course we cannot be sure 100 per cent because the photos are not definite .    The master model was made according early drawing 1 imho and our kit according the master model .

As for the Mef I did not only change the position of the rear absorbers , the right front absorber  of the kit shows the wrong arrangement too  .Never trust Protar and the master model ! And of course drawing 2 sometimes deceives  us too

Many greetings !  Hannes .

• Like 1

Thanks to Hannes, we could make the correction of the rear part of the front leaf spring, with this trident that Italeri has imagined while the old kit Protar was right on this point). Happily, the correction is easy, just remove the up and down rods of the trident:

yQ5724.jpg

No trident on our Drawing 2:

H7O9jE.png

• Like 2

The rear of the spring is wierd.Drawing 2 appears to show it straight but not obvious how the attachement works. No good pictures. Front view from the video is about the best. There are hints on the heavily airbrushed post race LH view. Not found another car with a similar configuration. Unusual.

Still while I was looking, realised there is a detail of the steering joint I'd missed on Drawing 2 - still not looking hard enough!

Nick

• Like 2

Dear Nick the whole front axle including it´s steering system was a novelty at that time . Unusual and experimental arrangements were necessary  to solve the problems like the jumping left front wheel .

Because this has been " work in progress " at that time we are confused today sometimes imho

Many greetings !  Hannes.

• Like 2

Nick, in the lack of any other reliable information on the rear part of the leaf spring, it is imho logical to consider Drawing 2 as a reference. So, even if we may find this configuration a bit wierd, personally, I will keep that as the most probable solution.

• Like 2

Yep -  I'll take that route with the 3D too. Difficult to believe this is the only vehicle in history to have this spring configuration. There must be a patent somewhere...

Nick

• Like 2