Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear Hannes,

I suppose you talk about these bolts (3 up and 2 down) on this enlargement of Drawing 2:

nMLx5u.png

On this other enlargement (photo 2), we can see the 3 ones, as they are on Drawing 2 (I made them) but the 2 other ones are much closer. I always refer preferently to photos when possible, so I will add these 2 ones (that I had not seen and added before). But the most important for me is to scratchbuild the construction on top of the 3 up. The kit gives a very simple version of this construction, I have removed it, and now, I have to make it...

Thanks again for the quality of your observations. 

mw2ByW.png

Another observation I did on these enlargements: 16B in the kit has the same thickness on all its lenght (2,9 mm). The Drawing 2 suggested that it was thicker in its back part, getting thinner and thinner... This seems to be confirmed by the enlargement of photo 2, even if the wheel in front does not help to be sure. What do you think?

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 2

Dear Olivier , I just returned home after visiting a toy flea market  . I found a wonderful tin toy rocket for my space collection !:D

Regarding the part 16 B : In my opinion the thickness does not increase or decrease . On drawing 1 and drawing 2 as well I cannot see a difference .Same goes for photo  12 imho .

But the kit´s part is wrong because there is a thicker part where the lever is situated . And there also  should be a bolt ( or similar ? ) as we can see on your enlargement above . Maybe this hanging part was was a small container for grease or fat to keep these parts movable with less friction.

I will replace part 16 B by an alu or silver iron rod ( already bought in the Knupfer shop )

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Tonight, I am a bit disappointed because I have lost my little rod with the ring for the crank. I have been looking for it, nowhere to be found. This gave me the opportunity to tidy up my workspace, what was really necessary. I will make it again at the end of my build, this will teach a lesson to me: the little fragile appendage should be assembled at the end, always, to avoid accidents. Pity, I had spent time to get the good shape for the ring...

• Like 1

I know this feeling too , dear Olivier ! Whenever a small part gets lost , the working room is super clean after the search and the modeler is dirty ! I keep my small parts in whiskas cat food boxes with an opaque cap .My cats are very grateful because of  my need regarding  empty boxes !

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Yes, Hannes, you won! It is the knot that closes Bordino's cap:

64Staq.jpg 

... as we can see fe on photo 9:

pSedyI.png

The knot is now painted and glued. The next step will be the goggles, I am thinking about the strategy to reproduce them as well as possible. Any suggestion welcome...

28WRaf.jpg

• Like 4

Dear Olivier , maybe you´ll find something suited in your Pascale´s jewelry case !:D Serious again : two oval pieces of an opaque plastic material ,brown or blue and the surroundings coated with bare metal foil . Maybe the glasses could get  made out of plastic  kid´s jewelry .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

My Bordino has now his right hand holding firmly the steering wheel, after I have added the fingers.

I gave a more tanned look to my Bordino, considering that the race took place beginning of september, at the end of the summer. More, the driver was often out at the end of august, with the trials and many tests of the car. On the other hand, he is more smiling than Bordino was on most of the photos of that day. The bad conditions (rain), but maybe  also the feeling that this race was one of the last he would run with Fiat - pity, it would be THE last - explains imho why he looks gloomy on most of them, even after his victory.

The orientation of the steering wheel is good in the different axis.

I am even not sure I will glue the steering wheel to the column, because the joint will be in a totally invisible area when the body will be on.

Maybe I will apply a satin varnish on the flat white Vallejo. My 806 and Bordino are indeed the ones just before the race, when the driver appeared like a hero to the public, and we can imagine his suit was at that moment very clean and a little bit shiny. After the race, it is another story...

BCD2ma.jpg

5kaeVN.jpg

• Like 2

You´re a poet , dear Olivier ! It looks great !  Currently I´m about to scratchbuild the rear of my chassis. Bending these brass- profiles is more difficult as I thought and that´s why a bought a mini flame thrower  to make it easier .There is still a lot to do like filing and drilling , bottom plate and so on before I can connect my bodywork with the new chassis .But I believe , it´s worth the effort !

Sometimes I ´m a bit envy because working with plastic parts is way quicker . I´ll send a scetch soon to show my plan of the chassis construction .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Hannes! And good luck for your chassis. Maybe I found something that could be helpful for my goggles. More soon...

P.S: Robin Lous, what are you becoming ?

• Like 1

Looking for something useful in my "old kits box", I found this bumper of my Chevy Bel Air Revell at 1/25. I will remove the bumpers, that will be a good base for my goggles...

H35jav.jpg

Once cut, I get this. Of course, I had to work on this pieces to get the good dimensions, the rounded form and the good thickness...

10R0xq.jpg

I make a dry fit assembly, using my Pocher double sided tape (I cut a 3,5 mm pellet with a die). It is not so bad, even if they are still a bit too thick for now...

o7JxnX.jpg

For the rounded glass, I will use this thermo-formed transparent plastic card. After cutting at good dimensions, I will apply inside and outside a coat of dark transparent green and then cement them on the goggles...

More as soon as possible...  

TkLq5q.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , a clever solution and it´s looking good ! Do you intend to represent the " eyelids " ?

These kind of googles were still used in the 60´s as I could see yesterday when watching the film " Grand Prix "

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hannes said:

Do you intend to represent the " eyelids " ?

Thanks Hannes. No, I admit I didn't think representing the eyeslids. But if you know a solution to represent them, why not... Did you mean painting them or really adding something ?

• Like 1

Dear Olivier I thought about adding two small strips of plastic plate or aluminium strips , ( after the " eyes " are inserted ) . Maybe double or triple layers of bare metal foil will do . I believe , they are characteristic and give the googles a reptille - eye look .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Dear Hannes,

I had not understood. I thought you were speaking about Bordino ´s eyeslids, not about goggles. Of course I will represent the goggles as well as possible, with this metal   edge. I have a very good photo (better than photo 9) that Roy published above, and that is a very good reference for the goggles, through others. That said, speaking about eyeslids, you gave me an idea 💡, on which I will come back soon...

• Like 1

Here is the photo I was speaking about just above... The goggles are very neat but other detail are very interesting for me here. And more, our driver is smiling, here... :smile:

P.S: Have you got news from Robin?

FF50Tp.png

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , a very nice photo . But the googles seem to be different compared with the Monza pics .

And no , I didn´t hear of Robin and other members also seem to be in short holidays perhaps  . Sam announced to be back in Europe at the end of this month so he could possibly contact Oliver Strebel -Ritter in Twickenham , an  auctioneer and collector with an Swiss origin  regarding the Conti book he wrote .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Dear Hannes,

the goggles are a bit different indeed. I will do a synthesis of both... 

Yesterday, I was at my parents in law near Manosque, for Mother's Day, so I couldn't go on with my build. But as you talked about eyeslids, you gave me the idea of representing Bordino's eyebrows. My mother in law gave me some hairs from her cat (I am definitely mad!) and, back home, I tried to cut small parts and cement them on the eyebrows with Microscale Micro Kristal Klear. Not a big hit, it is not the good solution. A kind of powder would be more appropriate. Any suggestion welcome... Indeed, I think just paint the eyebrows is acceptable at 1/48 but not very realistic at 1/12. With my serie 7 Winsor and Newton paintbrush, I tried to represent Bordino's eyeslids and wrinkles under his eyes. And I applied with airbrush a mix of satin and mat varnish from Marabu (an excellent german enamel varnish that J.M. Villaba suggested to me) on my Bordino, avoiding varnish on the steering wheel.

Here is where I am now:

Lb2JUQ.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , it´s difficult to do sculpturing work in this scale and you are right to achieve your goals by color . The eyebrows do have the greatest width around Bordino´s nose imho , become smaller towards the sleeves and are going downwards around the eyes . Maybe you still can alter this .Some wrinkles could get represented by mixing the face color with a tiny bit of blue , but be very careful when doing so . (exercise on a different material ) The eyes of your figure are still a bit too " open " imho so making them smaller could be a good idea .You also should see white color at the downside of the pupils .It´s not easy , I know ...

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

:D! your cat has good eyes, because it is not obvious to see the very tiny parts of hairs on the eyebrows... I will try to use dust of sanding to get the "eyebrows look". But even this may be too big. I should get very fine dust grinding the plastic with a diamond file.

P.S: Lily is lovely!

• Like 1