Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear Robin that´s a very nice color ! Regarding the levers of the steering system :Please both you and Olivier be aware there could be problems with the steering rod coming from the steering lever.

As we can see on our photos and  my scetch this rod should be horizontal. But there ´s a problem : The rear suspension of the front leaf springs.

It could be  an obstacle especially if you turn the wheels into the left direction .It´s necessary to check this out and to do the required alterings before painting and glueing imho  !

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Dear Robin regarding that grip , in my opinion it was made out of aluminium. The master model shows an interesting solution . On top of this hand brake lever there is a very characteristic ball-shaped knob as we can see on photo 9 HR version for instance . I already thought about how to represent this  ( chromed ? ) knob. Maybe you find a solution !

I have a request : After receiving that Aber S 10 mesh , could you please take a pic of your radiator grille with this mesh behind it ? I want to see , how it looks if there is a fly mesh behind the spokes .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hannes said:

Dear Olivier , as I said above , the Protar designers are not to blame for this nonsense . Italeri did this to prevent a single plastic  leaf from breaking . In the Protar kit there were iron strips included  for constructing more realistic leaf springs as you could see on the first pages of the gangshow thread   Hannes

Yes Hannes, you are right, I forgot that in the Protar kit, the leaf springs were made of iron strips...

• Like 2

Hannes, could you make an HR photo of steps 21 and 29 in the Protar instruction sheet, please? I've got them but the resolution is low, and I want to have an accurate look at their front leaf springs. Indeed, on the Protar kit, this tripod does not exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hannes said:

Dear Robin regarding that grip , in my opinion it was made out of aluminium. The master model shows an interesting solution . On top of this hand brake lever there is a very characteristic ball-shaped knob as we can see on photo 9 HR version for instance . I already thought about how to represent this  ( chromed ? ) knob. Maybe you find a solution !

I have a request : After receiving that Aber S 10 mesh , could you please take a pic of your radiator grille with this mesh behind it ? I want to see , how it looks if there is a fly mesh behind the spokes .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Thanks Hannes,

Whatever it was made of...it wasn't black...like the kit suggests.

You guys surely remember the wooden gear shift knob I made...I decided to use the same briar root for the brake handle grip.

Probably wrong, but I'm allowed to throw in some artistic freedom...and it looks damn good imho :party:

806-066_zpschkyiidu.jpg

Cut off another piece of the already mutilated pipe (it was a superb straight grain James Upshall pipe in it's previous life) and roughly shaped it with a sanding bit.

Drilled a 0,8mm hole through it and used my Proxxon as a poor man's lathe. First sanding sticks, different grades of sandpaper (from 400 to 2000) after that.

Rounded top and bottom and a lick of varnish. Result...2mm diameter... about the same size the kit's handle has.

The knob on the steering wheel will be made of this also.

Fruitful sunday! More soon,

Robin :smile:

Edited by Robin Lous
  • Like 3

Dear Robin the knob on the steering wheel was the case for the (red ? ) button for causing a short circuit of the ignition . According Salamanos version the reason behind the existence of that system was a small stone that kept the butterfly valve of the carburetor open while Bordino drove an 805. This was dangerous for both driver and engine.

If Bordino had operated the oil clutch ,the roots blowers would have overturned the engine and an engine explosion would have been the consequence imho.

I guess this knob was made out of bakelite .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Hannes said:

Dear Olivier , as I said above , the Protar designers are not to blame for this nonsense . Italeri did this to prevent a single plastic  leaf from breaking

Dear Hannes,

I don't know why Italeri ´s designers did that (there are in this case many other fragile parts in the kit), it is something I just can't understand. Thank you anyway for warning us about that, avoiding us an error... I admit I used to put my trust on this part. Definitely, this kit learns us to think critically on everything... and our union will make perfect (or nearly so)

All the best

Olivier

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Robin Lous said:

Olivier, the new lever looks spot on! (I won't do that).

Thanks Robin! You are doing a very good work too, and I see you are getting more and more hooked ... You are right modifying the radiator case and the number, but take care, the necessary modifications could - as for me - require a new grille... :huh:

All the best

Olivier

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

Please both you and Olivier be aware there could be problems with the steering rod coming from the steering lever

Dear Hannes,

I am aware of that, indeed, but, with all the surgeries we did (did you notice I decreased of 1 more mm the frame ´s lenght at its most frontal part), nothing frightens us anymore, no? ;)

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , of course not ! But it´s a problem indeed ! I made the steering lever out of a clip´s end of a ball pencil. It took ages and some drills were needed to drill these 2 holes !

For the dryfit I did not yet alter the frontal levers , instead I elongated the existing lever vertically to see how the steering system works. And this rear  suspension does not allow to turn the wheels towards the left direction.

Because this system worked in reality I´m sure there will be a solution for that .Maybe parts 32B and 33B must get shortened and the caps on parts 137 D must get removed . There were no caps in reality imho , there was a single bolt in the center and maybe some smaller bolts around it.

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

The master model shows an interesting solution . On top of this hand brake lever there is a very characteristic ball-shaped knob

Hannes, I don't find a photo of the Centro Storico model showing the hand brake. Could you post it please?

On the other hand, I post this photo showing the steering system on this build. I intend to paint it Stainless Steel, like it is, but I think the steering lever is metal too and not black, as they made...

rMbXqp.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , just look at that photo of the master model on our page 1 ! What´s more important for me is this odd ball-shaped knob at the top of that hand brake lever as we can see on photo 9

It looks very unique and should get represented imho

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Lous said:

Probably wrong, but I'm allowed to throw in some artistic freedom...and it looks damn good imho

Very nice indeed! in the lack of certainty, why not? On the Mef, it was black, very simple, but it looks lighter on our photos. I don't think I will give this varnished burl walnut effect to mine, but I really like it anyway...

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , the handbrake of the Mef is not simple at all ! I had to drill 15 holes  and made the upper part by adding a thin tube.There´s a sliding cramp construction on iit´s downside as well.

Many greetings ! Hannes

• Like 1

New problem: the rod 4A elevate the engine, that is now upper than my radiator case! I will have to decrease the thickness of the rod 4A:

bbfata.jpg

On the other hand, I don't regret having decreased of 1 more mm the lenght of my frame. Now, all fits well, the bonnets on their support, the relation grille/ front rod etc. A fruitful sunday for me too, Robin... ;)

mt1fzt.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hannes said:

Dear Olivier , the handbrake of the Mef is not simple at all ! I had to drill 15 holes  and made the upper part by adding a thin tube.There´s a sliding cramp construction on iit´s downside as well.

Many greetings ! Hannes

Yes, Hannes, I am sorry, I just meant that it is not a luxury one! it even has no wood handle, just the metal... full of holes, as you mention... :D

• Like 1

I think photo 3 (1616) is the best shot we have from the brake stick.

It looks like kinda crude unsophisticated wood...not sure though.

The other half decent photo of the stick is photo 9...not sure of what it is on that photo either.

806-067_zpspqr2nqy7.jpg

Anyway...I also replaced the stick itself. It's still a work in progress. I'll file and sand the low right "corner" of the stick round.

I used 0,5mm aluminium sheet for the stick...the real thing looks thin and flat. Will also make or find a better top button.

More soon,

Robin :smile:

• Like 3

Drawing 5 is the most reliable source of informations regarding colors for me. On this contemporary painting we can see a bright , almost white brake stick. It does not seem to be made out of metal and my alu version also does not seem to be correct.The artist also showed that top button !  Maybe the material for the stick was coated by a white leather ? However , Robin´s stick looks much better than the original !

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 3

@Olivier de St Raph That is the full-screen version of Photo 3 as featured in the opening post. This is a larger part of it:

34670290661_6f466f541a_b.jpg 

What you need to do to get this on your computer is:

- In t he opening post, right-click on Photo 3 and choose "Open in new tab".

- In the new tab, click on the photo to get a full size view. 

- Then, right-click on the picture and choose save. 

Most pictures we collected have larger versions. Whenever I found a better picture I replaced the original one.

I had no idea you did not know this (I mentioned these instructions in the opening post but maybe you forgot or read over it). I'd recommend you to grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy all the high resolution material we have! :)  

• Like 4