Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Dear Hannes, these photos are for you. All is not perfect, I remember in particular I had many problems with the decals that were very old (I had bought the kit maybe 10 or 15 years ago and the decals were more than fragile...

D9y3Rn.jpg

Q3NEde.jpg

zvJanE.jpg

NTT3wi.jpg

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 2

This is my new radiator case I made according my scetch above . It´s still " work in progress " so you can see my construction . There´s still more material at the top so I can alter this region according the original.

Many greetings !  Hannes

Thank you , dear Olivier , it really looks very nice ! I´ll post 2 pics of mine in a minute . I hope you will not be dissapointed , because this is the only MB model I made :It´s a copy of my own little car !

I made these photos some years ago and the dog you can see was not modeled by myself , but bought in a toy store !

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

This morning, I was trying my figure in the kit's seat and the conclusion was that the seat was too height, too thick. 

Now, look at this photo 1. I have tried to draw Bordino's body behind the body.

Even if he had a short trunk, the upside of the seat had to be very low, nearly at the up frame's level (red horizontal line).

A70v4l.png

And now, look at the Drawing 2: we get the same conclusion: the seat is very low, and much more thin than the kit's one. The driver was sitting just a little bit higher than the upper part of the frame. And if you look at the Delage, Alfa, Talbot seats (see above), you will see that on these cars too, the seat was thin and low.

07J1ec.png

• Like 3

The seat cushion has been reduced of half its height. It is now nearly Ok, but will have to be still reduced to take in consideration the driver's weight. Notice how the transmission arm is close from the seat. I will probably make a casing like we can see on the Delage.

3wSD6A.jpg

Once sit down, the driver's bottom was really very close from the frame's level.

2qmiUw.jpg

• Like 3

Dear Olivier my plans regarding the seat are as follows : It will be made out of  styrene plates , each cussion about 4-6 mm thick.  I will file them in shape first and scratch a pattern in them like we can see on photo 2 .  Of course some sculptural work is required , but it´s not very difficult .Fine goat suede will get glued on these constructions so this patten can be seen.

The strip of smooth black leather will be made out of thin artificial leather .

It´s important imho to show these surrounding strings similar with the Mef . You can use ignition wire for 1 / 24 models for that purpose .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

A dry fit assembly with the engine is done, to check the lenght of legs and the angle of the hinges. On the first photo, the right foot doesn't touch the pedal. The leg will be a bit elongated.

wf2umH.jpg

After corrections, the foot now touches the pedal, but I will add a litlle stand under the foot (around 1,5 mm thick plate).

The body can't go correctly on the frame because of 121D, despite the reduction of its height done before.

I will have to work on this problem, caused logically by the important (and necessary) reduction of the body's height.

s8Dcfu.jpg

• Like 2

The left leg has been added. Notice the very little room for the driver's legs and in general in this cockpit. It wasn't probably very easy to take place in it, and the driver had to be not to tall..

kTHE9c.jpg

• Like 3

I modified the lower engine covers according photo 3 (more or less).

Thinned down the panels and cut off the vertical support, because it's way too thick.

Replaced this with 0,5mm thick Evergreen strips and added the bolts.

After dryfitting the engine I figured out I need 1,5 or 2mm long tubes to make it fit without the need to pull the chassis inwards.

Also...the engine won't align with the top hole, but it does with the rear lower hole, so I use that one.

806-012_zpsudvagmiy.jpg

More news from my radiator front. 

Removed the oversized bolts and I won't use the screws, so I plugged the holes and bolt heads there also.

Decided to shorten the radiator to get rid of the wrong stretched look.

I do it the "light way". I move the radiator to the top of the frame and I'll shorten the frame about 5 or 6 mm.

This way it will look better and I don't have to change the chassis and the engine cover to make it work.

806-013_zpsvdslvb7h.jpg

More soon,

Robin

• Like 4

Dear Olivier , an Englishman who was living in Arabia for some time transformed by a south-France citizen into an Italian racing driver - that´s what I call globalisation !:D

But it looks very good ! Bordino had a bit more oval face so you should alter the chin a bit imho.Lawrence was more the haggard  , Bordino more the  dainty type  imho.

Important for Bordino´s face are the two wrinkles under his eyes and the form of the eyebrows , He´s nose is not hooked but long and a bit smaller like the one of  Lawrence imho .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Dear Robin,

your build is going on very fast. It looks very good. Do you intend to paint the frame red? It makes me funny to see the radiator grille. It recalls me my first steps on the Gangshow thread, in last september (I suppose you know there was a first thread before this one...)

Dear Hannes,

you made me laugh with your "globalisation"!

But yes, considering the few figures at 1/12 that exist, I think I could not find a much better one.

For now, I first try to work on Bordino's body, lenghts, hinges etc., and after I will focus on the face. And your sculptor's eyes will be definitely helpful for me. I agree with you, I will have to alter the chin and get a more oval face, through others.

It is a very interesting sculpture work, different from what I am used to do.

I don't know yet if I will use the kit's seat (deeply modified, of course) or a scratch one like you. But even if I choose the first solution, I will cement a fine black leather film, to avoid the awful "rubber look", even if this one won't be very visible with Bordino sat on...

P.S: I was thinking (maybe this has ever been said above) that the next 4/09, the 806 would have been 90 years old... I would dream to make an exhibition for the occasion (my build will be over, definitely...). Only Fiat at Centro Storico could imho be interested by such an idea.... All aspects would be considered, all our discovers exposed to the public, and the many modif necessary shown.

I will (you never know) mention that when I will go to Torino....

All the best to all

• Like 3

806-014_zpsidwhgb9d.jpg

After surgery. 

The radiator now fits the cover.

I'll clean up the cut (filling and sanding), but I made the cut where it will be hidden behind the chassis beam, so no need to make it perfect.

Removed the spokes from the grille and cleaned up the frame. I'll now cut the grile frame to fit the smaller radiator cover.

After that I make new spokes (or bars, or whatever name these things have) from brass wire. The 2 vertical spokes I'll make from 1mm aluminium tube.

I'll sand the aluminium tube to half round, so I can sandwich the horizontal spokes in between the half round vertical spokes (hope this explanation makes some sense).

8 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Dear Robin,

your build is going on very fast. It looks very good. Do you intend to paint the frame red? It makes me funny to see the radiator grille. It recalls me my first steps on the Gangshow thread, in last september (I suppose you know there was a first thread before this one...)

Yes dear Olivier, I'll paint the chassis red also.

I did check out the Gangshow thread also...a pitty it didn't end well there.

More soon,

Robin

• Like 3

Dear Robin for the horizonal rods I recommend Nickel-Silver rods by albion alloy . In Germany you can buy these rods and a lot more like tiny brass profiles bolts , nuts washers and so on in the Knupfer shop . Have a look !  Hannes

• Like 3

May I say, on the nature of the seat cushion; in my car a wood bar of approx 15 x 15mm runs across the car on the floor from the centre driveshaft tunnel to the side of the car. I have a a piece of wood, approx 12mm thick, by 320 x 360mm, along one edge is a bar of approx 18 x 18mm. When in place this fits behind the floor bar, the end with the 18mm bar towards the front and downwards so that the front of the flat panel is then higher than the floor bar by about 15mm.

On top of this I have a leather covered cushion of about 60mm thickness which compresses to about 25 or 30mm when I sit on it

This style of seating is fairly common in all the sports cars of every make within my car club; just some use a metal bar across the car and a metal panel for the cushion

From this you can see that I'm almost sitting on the floor of the car as the higher part of the cushion aligns with the back of my thighs, but my rear end is lower down.

• Like 3

Dear Fred could you show us some photos of your seat construction ?  I guess the plates for the seat could be the only wooden parts of our 806 . Thanks for the explanation !

And dear Olivier , if you want to change Lawrences face I recommend to cast some faces first by a mould and make some resin patterns so you can exercise .first because that´s not easy

in this scale !

Many greetings Hannes

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hannes said:

Dear Fred could you show us some photos of your seat construction ? 

Sorry; I've looked but I do not have any photos and it will be next Thursday when I'm at my car next

• Like 1

Thanks a lot , dear Fred ! On drawing 2 the seat ´s base seems to be situated  on two struts  and is horizontal but imho  the priciple is the same as you showed in your scetch .

I think i was important for the mechanics that this seat cushion could get removed very quickly  to have access to tank and rear axis  The seat for the back was altered in drawing 2 because no seat fairing seemed to have existed anymore and therefore this part was shorter imho in relation to the predecessor  (and easier to remove too I guess ! )

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Perhaps its not clear; my seat base is not screwed or bolted in, it is loose, only the 15x15 bar prevents it from sliding forward.

Under the seat we run electric wires, which are disconnected when we take the head and tail lamps off for certain racing events.

The cushion comes out, then the seat base, wire plugs undone, base in, cushion in, me in and away.

• Like 1

Dear Fred I understood it´s loose And I´m convinced there was a bar system  too maybe out of metal and welded or bolted to firm struts .This way the wooden plate with the seat cushion could slip in and could get removed in a second. In my opinion the fuel pipe was situated under the seat .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Seat and backseat have been cut to take in consideration the weight of the driver. A notch has been cut too on the backseat, to allow the passage of the transmission arm, like on the Delage: 

PNNWcu.jpg

duKFBr.jpg

• Like 4

It's getting better and better Olivier!

Your observations seem spot on and your troubleshooting skills are superb!

I think you can safely sand his bum flat a bit (more) and perhaps don't try to work around the goggles.

Imho making new driver goggles isn't too difficult and the result will be great.

I love to see this come together...it's also "something else"...a nice distraction from the ongoing what's right and what's wrong. :lol:

Robin

• Like 4