Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

It´s much better than before !  If you still lower the sheet for the instrument panel  some  mm ( especially in the center , where it seems to rise ), you will get a very good bodywork  !

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

I am still not happy with these louvres, scratch made from 0,3 mm tin foil: if the location and the dimensions are correct, their shape is still not good, as this enlargement comparison shows:

PsCNOS.png

I am gonna improve them...

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
  • Like 1

A little topic about the windscreen, with a comparison between the kit's one and the real one (our photo 17...). Before painting my body, I was wondering if I should add swellings (?) on which would take place 51 and 52E. But I am not sure these swellings really exist. What do you think? The photo 17 seems to show no rod stand of the windshield...

Furthermore, the kit's windshield does not have the good dimensions, but this has ever been said above...

zzeHF6.jpg

eaU1EW.png

P.S: I have removed my tin foil louvres and used alu foil (in the same thickness, 0,3 mm), which is less soft what is, for this purpose, better.

add
  • Like 1

Dear Olivier , the wind-screen with its frame does not sit directly on the fairing ,it´s frame is connected with 2 short  pieces of metal as we can see on photos 7 for instance.

These 2 short pieces of metal also are not firmly  connected with the fairing but are screwed to another small construction. This way the wind-screen could get adapted for the driver  by 4 screws or small bolts .  Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes
  • Like 1

Indeed, Hannes, good idea to look at the photo 7. It shows a little arm that is not visible on photo 17. I made an enlargement, pity, the quality is not HR, and I would need to see more clearly what this stand part looks like...

bvpC4Q.png

On photo 9, we have this little "construction", a thin part that would stand the windscreen?

15gXn6.png

and this is the Delage windscreen, that should be inspiring too, even if it is different:

53AdPE.jpg

add
  • Like 1

Dear Olivier , I´m not sure , but I believe , this bone-shaped arm was not directly connected with the fairing , at least on it´s left side ( driver´s view )

On photos 4 and 21  this arm seems to be connected with a small sheet or similar  , thats connected firmly with the fairing ,

And this 3 or 4 -mounting points - construction would make sense imho !

If there´s only a 2- point fixation , you only can fold the screen upwards or downwards.

If there are more mounting points , you also can adjust the height and angle .

Because the driver´s position is out of the centre , this adjustable construction would make more sense for me .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

I think this photo of the Mefisto windscreen should be very helpful. It seems to be nearly the same than the 806 one, for the stand system:

CT2dsv.png

I am at Brussels now. When I'll be back home, I will have a look at my Mef kit to see these parts. Sam could also tell us if the windscreen is better on the Mef... Sam, can you hear me?

• Like 1

I´m still fighting with my radiator case . It took much longer as expected to find the right shape . I´m also convinced now , the radiator case as we see on drawing 2 (sideview ) does not have exactly the same dimensions as our car . The wheel´s sizes on drawing 2 also don´t seem to correspond with those on our photos .Same goes for the height of the axes and the width between the wheels.

So a lot of time-consuming research , comparisons and measurements are necessary now and not much progress can be seen .

However , these works are necessary before I can continue .  Many greetings !  Hannes

Here is my last progress and comparison before my travel to Brussels. My louvres are much better, my seat fairing is close from truth. Notice that finally, after the corrections, my tail portion has the good lenght, not requiring any adding. The Bordino tip is maybe even 1 mm too long... Some details must still be improved, before painting:

i5Wu1E.png

add
  • Like 2

Louvres looking Lovely!!!

Hannes, what little I have done has been on wheel size. I think I have finally got the hang of it but I'm not there yet. Feel guilty about not being able to help even after so much time. Still your sculpture's eye is at least as good as my engineering ones.

In fact, one of the interesting things about this thread for me is just the different ways people look at the same thing. As a result I have started to try to see rather than just look. Still learning though.

ATB

Nick

• Like 2

Dear Nick , the wheels really are a problem for me .Even if I use the Mef -tyres ( included in the Italeri-kit ) they are about 3 mm too small in diameter compared with the photos !

The Protar tyres would look ridiculous small but would fit with improved drawing 2.

On drawing 2 the whole car seems to be lowered compared with our car . I´m not sure if the reason lies within different tyre sizes or different wheel sizes too , maybe a different axes height could also be a reason.

My instincts told me not to rely on drawing 2 too much and now one of the reasons seems to be found .

Of course I can use the somewhat undersized wheels and tyres for my model.It would even look better , if the whole car is lowered . But : This won´t be the original look !

And it also would frustrate me if I had to respoke my wheels some day in the conscience , they don´t have the right dimensions .

This is not an urgent matter for me right now , but for the future I must find a solution or an alternative .

Many greetings !  Hannes

Edited by Hannes

Thank you Nick. I should just add a little portion of plastic card to close a part of the gap behind the 2 frontal louvres (yellow arrows):

B0aNU9.jpg

but these louvres are indeed wide opened on frontal view, as we can see on photos 1 and  2:

Q9026c.png

And now, a question: my body will be red, of course, and my inside will be metal. What color should be the body under the frame? (black arrow)

It seems to me more logic to paint it red, because it is a continuation of the body, but I am not 100% sure. Your opinion?

KtfPm4.jpg

• Like 3

Being at Brussels makes that I can't work on my 806. When I have 5 mn, I see again with care our reference photos. So, I found out that I forgot a vertical line of rivets. We have IMHO 9 rivets on an oblique line and 3 more ones vertical (one is hidden by the exhaust):

CQd9zB.png

About these rivets, I first made them with 0,9 mm die, then 0,8, then 0,7 and I wonder if they are not still a little too big! Definitely, if I had to made them again, I would choose 0,6, and that's what I recommend to you !

add
  • Like 2

P.S: and still on rivets question, I would not say the little points on the fairing (the front one) are rivets. I would say they are welding points. Indeed, we can't see any relief on them IMHO... I think this assumption was ever mentioned in the topic, sorry if it was, but it's important...

• Like 1

It would be most unusual for the mechanics to weld the front fairing when they use rivets and screws everywhere else.

Although welding of aluminium was known and done it was not easy, as easy as it is now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Being at Brussels makes that I can't work on my 806. When I have 5 mn, I see again with care our reference photos. So, I found out that I forgot a vertical line of rivets. We have IMHO 9 rivets on an oblique line and 3 more ones vertical (one is hidden by the exhaust):

CQd9zB.png

About these rivets, I first made them with 0,9 mm die, then 0,8, then 0,7 and I wonder if they are not still a little too big! Definitely, if I had to made them again, I would choose 0,6, and that's what I recommend to you !

After 77 (!) pages?   That is one serious attention to detail ..... 

FFS ......

:huh:

• Like 1

Dear Olivier , on the most photos the frame for the wind-screen seems to show unpainted metal so my frame will look like that .

I´m not yet sure how the arms were mounted to the fairing .

Many greetings !  hannes

• Like 1