Meng Mk V Male Tank @ 1/35

longshanks

51 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Why not stick around Martin.....You might find you like it!  ;)

I'm in enough trouble already, go see the Baron's Barracuda thread!

Martian

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:59 AM, longshanks said:

P1040096%20Copy_zpspyixitl8.jpg

Engine has received several light washes and application of graphite.

Hi, Longshanks, great work  and especially on the sparkplug leads!  With regards to the graphite, I love using it too, however I find applications of varnish at best lessen its effect greatly or and at worst remove it entirely. So I generally have to re-apply it after the final matt varnish. What do you do?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

FWIW.....I add graphite last, after the matt varnish, for pretty much exactly the reasons you describe.  :coolio:

I'm in enough trouble already, go see the Baron's Barracuda thread!

Martian

Those are all 'wingy-builds', so they don't count.....Tank builds are an entirely seperate entity and I believe they are considered compulsory hereabouts.  :poke:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Those are all 'wingy-builds', so they don't count.....Tank builds are an entirely seperate entity and I believe they are considered compulsory hereabouts.  :poke:

Like I said, us escapees will be gone as soon as Longshanks is finished! Clearly the Maritime section needs to improve it's security!

Martian

Why not break out 'The Rodent':shrug:

You might find it a refreshing distraction.....Building a Braille AFV is a totally different process to building an aircraft (the way I do it anyway).  :coolio:

PS - I'm off to stick the final decals on my Bf.110.....Even I have been known to indulge in heresy other modelling genres once in a while.  ;)

• Like 1

You've really let the cat out of the bag now Martian...............:rofl:

I'm going to stick a prop and rudder on the back of HMLS (His Majesties Land Ship)

51 minutes ago, Badder said:

What do you do?

Truth is no idea, I never used graphite like this. So thanks for the tip

Kev

• Like 2

19 hours ago, longshanks said:

I'm going to stick a prop and rudder on the back of HMLS (His Majesties Land Ship)

Never one to let reality get it the way of a cunning plan eh Kev?

Yes I know I have a Maus to do. All of a sudden though, it seems as half of BM want me to do their pet projects as well. As I explained elsewhere, there are only so many tentacles a Martian has at one time! 

Martian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

So let them get on with it :winkgrin:

If I've learnt one thing it's that if your heart is not in a project. Don't bother to cut plastic :shrug:

Kev

You are of course quite right Kev. I shall build whatever I feel on any particular day. Some of my models sit around unfinished for years but they nearly always get finished eventually.

Martian  (The all too easily influenced)

• Like 3

Before I got to carried away I thought I'd better check the doors clearance with roof

P1040121%20Copy_zpsb5qbgezv.jpg

Must admit I had a little Vrooom Vrooom moment lol. Although it all seemed clear I thought it better to leave 1mm clearance, so now I had to jig the doors so that they were positioned 1mm down.

My solution, piece of plastic card temp fixed to top of engine compartment. To this I attached 1mm thick strip to keep the doors down.

P1040122%20Copy_zpsihi8olrv.jpg

[http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/longshanks8/Mk%20V%20Male%20Tank/Engine/P1040125%20Copy_zps8kqt5xqk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I then dropped some plastic rod down into the V of the door/compartment and glued (increased gluing area).

Next up was to make some brackets to support the doors. Hopefully all will be revealed in the pics below.

To hold them in place in the real world I added some leather straps which hook on, like they used in the old railway carriages for the windows.

P1040126%20Copy_zpsqovejatk.jpg

P1040127%20Copy_zpsxk9mxegc.jpg

P1040128%20Copy_zpsrko3gbul.jpg

Yet to be lightly weathered

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 12

This is looking very effective. You could almost turn this into a sort of "At the museum" diorama with punters peering in through the removed sponson.

Martian

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Not the sort of thing you would take the Mrs. out in for a Sunday drive though, imagine that engine clattering away just behind your back :hmmm::analintruder:

I would have serious doubts that it would make it to the pub........

@Beefy

Cheers Keith

14 hours ago, Dads203 said:

A few days between updates Kev

A garden fence (replacement of) has been getting in the way

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You could almost turn this into a sort of "At the museum" diorama with punters peering in through the removed sponson.

I'm liking this idea, got me thinking...........:hmmm:

Next question would be can anyone suggest some civilian figures

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

'sniff-the-plastic'

Thanks, don't forget the 'leather straps' :winkgrin:

Thanks folks for all your support it what is turning into a very enjoyable build

Kev

Thanks Gentlemen (PMSL calling you two that :rofl:)

Looks like there could be something there..........

I have a vision Hallelujah

Cobblestone road, mother and daughter chatting to the tanker blah blah you get the picture. So if anyone else has any thoughts as to figures your ideas would be welcome.

Did someone used to make a vac formed cobblestone road? Seen the resin jobby bit rich for my budget

Kev

• Like 1

Did someone used to make a vac formed cobblestone road? Seen the resin jobby bit rich for my budget

Kev Mini Art have a few kits out with Vac formed cobble stone streets they also do some smaller kits of just the cobbles and maybe a tram line and street lamp.

But a man of your wizzarding skills could probably magic one up from nothing just like you normally do  :winkgrin:  :boom:

Beefy

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Thanks Gentlemen (PMSL calling you two that :rofl:)

Looks like there could be something there..........

I have a vision Hallelujah

Cobblestone road, mother and daughter chatting to the tanker blah blah you get the picture. So if anyone else has any thoughts as to figures your ideas would be welcome.

Kev

Nothing wrong here except maybe blowing my nose in the curtains and using the tablecloth as a serviette. Like I told my son's : if you can ride a bike, swim, eat with a knife and fork and don't use a tentacle to wipe the nether regions after downloading you are good to go.Your vision for displaying the rattling riveting rhomboid sounds very interesting............................................................

• Like 1

Just to keep you up to date with progress.........

Lots of bits being painted and stuck on, the largest being the cooling system and fuel compartment

P1040130%20Copy_zps7iuuhf0j.jpg

P1040133%20Copy_zpsiiys1pmv.jpg

Then I had a play and taped a few bits together

P1040136%20Copy_zpshqwbbbwm.jpg

P1040137%20Copy_zpspcvpw9rm.jpg

P1040140%20Copy_zpswdzeoq05.jpg

First impressions, it's a big booger but not a lot of room inside...........

Kev

• Like 9

I continue to weaken towards this kit and if I end up getting one, I am on MVS duty at the Tank Museum on Sunday, it will be all your fault!

Martian

PS: The work on the model isn't at all bad.