Thanks, that's pretty cool! Still too big for this model but definitely worth bearing in mind for the future. I do like the look of EL stuff.

Will

• 3 weeks later...

I have bitten the bullet and started doing some work on the water surface:

34815678102_26456a7fb5_b.jpg

34815672912_72f51e0c37_b.jpg

This is a mixture of glaze medium tinted with artist's acrylics, and cotton wool. I think it's going OK but the colour is a bit patchy (I stippled it all) and I might try an overspray with thinned Tamiya Clear Green or similar. I tried to use more brown (Umber and Yellow Ochre) near the white water, where he's dragged up silt from the bottom of the lake. Conversely the calmer areas are shadowed with a mix of Payne's Grey (a blue-black) Black and Green.

It doesn't have any foam on the ripples yet, which will hopefully push the colour into the background a little and bring it to life.

I'm also not totally sure about the middle front ripple - the others look like they're from his arms, but that one seems a bit confused. Remove it or make it smaller?

Will

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I'm also not totally sure about the middle front ripple - the others look like they're from his arms, but that one seems a bit confused. Remove it or make it

If you mean that one with the sharp peak at the front edge, then that's the one that caught my eye as looking very realistic. I think if they all looked too even and symmetrical it would look unnatural.

The only one that seems a little out is the one at the left front corner in the first picture, only because the angle looks slightly wrong compared to the others.

Andy

• Like 1

It was the one at the central front edge that I wasn't sure about - I thought the way it curved back into the neighbouring one without interacting with it was a bit neat.

34142076294_5dc50b3781_b.jpg

I've trimmed the left edge of it (you can see the medium at the middle front in the above pic) and darkened that area a little more. I also added a bit more "foam" around his tum and worked a little green into the edges of the foam. It's drying again at the moment, I think it needs a thick gloss coat to up the translucency, but not so thick as to look out of scale and toffee-like.

The one that's at the right front in the above picture is supposed to be caused by his arm, but I guess that doesn't quite work as it's only just coming out of the water - was that the one you thought was a bit off?

I think for a next water project it might be time for a 3D surface so that the ripples look less stuck on, but this way is nice and quick :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

The one that's at the right front in the above picture is supposed to be caused by his arm, but I guess that doesn't quite work as it's only just coming out of the water - was that the one you thought was a bit off?

I'm getting slightly confused with my left, right, front, back and centre :blink:, but I think that's the one I meant. I just thought the angle of the wave looked slightly different to the others, although that in itself adds some dynamism to the waves.

I did a quick tweak to the image to see how it would look with a reprofiled wave and, to be honest, it probably is a little more boring like this (apologies in advance for butchering you photo)

34985444105_990f846c99_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 2

Ah, modelling with Photoshop - so much more relaxing with an Undo button versus a scalpel...

I think your change looks good from that angle, but tbh I'll probably leave it - I've eased the front a bit with more medium so it's more a wave and less a splash. Also I'm sorry I've cut off the bit you liked best :(:(

Will

I think the water is just about there now - last night I gave it a couple of coats of green-tinted gloss varnish, at lunch today I added a thin mix of matte medium and white to the wave crests and anywhere I wanted choppy water, plus some neat white in a few spots. Then I made a mix of matt medium and glaze medium tinted green and painted this behind the wave crests and around the choppy areas to represent foam and churning water under the surface.

34869750161_5865790fae_b.jpg

I also blasted green-tinted Klear all over Bemular by blowing it off a paintbrush with air from the airbrush, so it'd splatter and give some sense of spashing.

Looking at the pic, I think the foam around his belly needs another coat or two of glaze medium - the paint has made it too sharp again.

Will

• Like 2

Did the last bits - bent the wire up, epoxied the stand cover plate from the VTOL onto it (hope it holds!) and fiddled around a bit:

34871476291_b5588a5ee5_b.jpg

Maybe need to add some matt medium around the inside of the mouth where the beam passes through to diffuse that very sharp circle a bit. It's brass tube so clearly perfectly round.

Will

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Do you think he might need some foamy water running off his belly plates?

I'm not sure - in the episode he has a lot of foam (compressed air jets?) around his belly as he emerges, but I suppose I've gone a bit more towards making it look in-scale.

In my head he was standing up from bending forward, so his back would be more covered in water - coming out of the water nearer horizontal and then running off as he went vertical. Whereas there'd be less on the front, except for those compressed air rumbles.

It made sense in my head for a bit at least, but now I'm not sure! Maybe time for experiments in the bath?

Will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...